On to 80 lines

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Panrock » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Yes... err.. my shoes are not normally known for their shininess. :oops: . In fact I don't have any in the house - am actually going to have to go out and buy this stuff today.

On a more serious note, I'll want to look reasonably smart because I'm going to Doug's memorial. Maybe see some of you there today?

Steve
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Panrock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:42 am

Hit another problem.. the black shoe wax holds hole shapes OK but it is soft and it is well-nigh impossible not to broaden the holes when withdrawing the tiny wire by hand.

I have to face that work this intricate really needs to be done by machine.

Back to the foil again then! Too bad about the irregular hole shapes.

Steve
Panrock

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:00 pm

Panrock wrote:The resulting hole was about the right size but not perfectly round. So next, I shall try backing up the foil with a plasticene temporary backing. More anon...

Don't forget the "superb" results I had with my disc when I hand-filed the holes. I am currently thinking creating slightly too small holes and then using a very fine file (and for this I used a drill bit, held manually, with a back and forth motion in and out of the hole without rotation) to fine-tune the actual size. Given a rather hard material into which the hole was initially drilled, this allows very precise hand-tuning. Hey, it worked for me. Just a bit of patience, and eyeballing the picture as you go along.
Attachments
hand.jpg
Before and after hand-filing my Nipkow's holes
hand.jpg (14.72 KiB) Viewed 8166 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Panrock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:55 pm

Andrew that's sheer dedication and an example to us all! Just don't try it at 0.27mm though. :D

DrZarkov is now kindly looking into having my discs produced in Germany; apparently CNC drilling the holes can succeeed where laser failed.

In the meantime I've put back the excellent 30-line discs and am concentrating on fine tuning the performance. Yesterday I strengthened the ball-race mountings in the camera and added further rubber mounts.

I shall also be rebuilding the monitor sync circuitry from scratch. I had forgotten I had only put the 555 monostables as pulse shapers in the stereo adapter and in fact all I have in the monitor are over-driven transistor stages to do that job. This means virtually all the electronics will have been replaced.

A well-performing 30-line system will be far preferable to a struggling 80-line one but I shall have to see what transpires.

Steve
Panrock

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:04 pm

Panrock wrote:DrZarkov is now kindly looking into having my discs produced in Germany; apparently CNC drilling the holes can succeeed where laser failed.

Also don't forget my father-in-law (USA) has a small-gear manufacturing company with all of these sorts of machines. He was very interested in my mechanical TV when he visited and I demonstrated. He asked me to send him CNC-files and he'd make a few discs, with a view to determining if they were suitable quality. I'd be happy for you to be the guinea pig if you'd care to chase up the required files for specifying your 80 line disc.
Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Panrock » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 pm

This is very kind Andrew. I did actually email you the file earlier as arranged, on 14th November. Did it reach you OK?

Steve
Panrock

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 pm

Panrock wrote:This is very kind Andrew. I did actually email you the file earlier as arranged, on 14th November. Did it reach you OK?

Steve

Not my brain, possibly my mailbox. I can't find it, which leads me to suspect it was caught by an over-zealous spam filter. If i didn't respond to you, then that means I probably didn't register it, one way or another. Could you please re-send it?

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Panrock » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am

Done. You should have it now.

Thanks again.

Steve
Panrock

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV