Logging on to this forum from Firefox

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Logging on to this forum from Firefox

Postby gary » Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:07 am

I have finally given up on IE7 running under Vista as it regularly crashes (I wish I could give up on Vista), and I wish to use Mozilla Firefox as my default but I see that I still cannot login to this forum when using Firefox ("The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading").

I was wondering if any of the administrators had any idea why this would be so, or if they had access to logs that might indicate the source of the problem..

In addition I was wondering if any other members out there are using Firefox to access the forum and are able to log in (or not).

Cheers,
gary

PS I don't have problems logging into other forums such as CNCZone.com etc.
gary

Firefox

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:23 pm

Hi Gary,

I think the only person that can help you here is Andrew, although a moderator, I don't have access to logs etc.. I guess it's only the Administrator that has access to those.

I tried Firefox about a year ago on XP and also found the same problem, not very often, but enough to be frustrating, and of course it always happens when you really want to access a site. (Sods' law). At the time I put it down to the fact that the version of XP I use is bilingual (it causes all sorts of problems), but assuming you're using an English-only version, it would appear that is not the cause.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm using Firefox on my Mac and I never had any trouble. On the PC I'm using currently Opera 9.2 without any trouble, and with the installed Firefox here I can't reproduce this error, too. I'm using Windows XP SP2. Very strange. Maybe a "feature" of Vista to avoid that somebody uses the "wrong" browser? With Firefox and Linux (Debian) I have no problems with Firefox, too. Even the Browser "IBrowse" on AmigaOS 3.9 has no problems logging into this forum.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Ralph » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am

Gary,

Although I am sure you will be shocked, I suspect that Vista is probably at the root of your problems. I am using Firefox with XP and am having no problems.

Ralph
Ralph
Evil Genius

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:41 am

Just checked my own PC with Firefox and running XP. No trouble with this forum either.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby M3DVQ » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:23 am

ditto, XP SP2 and firefox, no problems at all
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:47 am

Those of you suggesting that Vista is the root cause of this problem are probably right, however, it is obviously some interaction between Vista and Firefox since there is no problem with logging in with either IE or Opera.

Another strange symptom is that I CAN log-in with Firefox ONCE after a re-boot but once I log-out I cannot log back in. I didn't notice this before because I always ask that the log-in information be remembered and check the related box. If I do this the log-in fails and I assume it must log-in, log-out, and log back in, when this option is selected.

Another thing I tried, to prove it was Vista, was to try to use Firefox from Linux. I did this by trying to boot from a CD containing Ubunta, and later SimplyMEPIS, but was unable to get them to boot up. Anyone else successfully tried this? Since the boot options for both of these is configurable Linux savvy gurus may know of some tricks I could try.

Cheers,

Gary
gary

Return to Mechanical NBTV