Motor for fully mechanical televisor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Motor for fully mechanical televisor

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:52 am

I found in another forum a link to this papercraft Stirling engine: http://www.astromedia.de/shop/csc_fullview.php?Artikelnummer=228.STM&VID=qK6TlQZxaOfDDOSY.

A Nipkow-disc driven by this motor, and a fibre optic would be a great basis for the fully mechanical televisor. For sync I would use the same system as it is used in grammophones to hold the speed, together with a controlled source of heat like a gas flame.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Viewmaster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:13 am

For english readers here's a write up in your lingo. Do you think it powerful enough to spin a nipkow? Heat power from just a cup of coffee seems too low. What are the 2 laser cut plates for?
Still, it might do stirling(!) work for NBTV. :)

http://www.101gear.com/product.php?prid ... &gaw=fro01

Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:07 am

I don't know what the lasercut discs are for, but I will see soon. I hope to use the model to make my own, stronger Stirling engine. We will see...

I found another interesting toy, maybe usable as an Edikow: http://www.verycoolthings.com/vct/Neo_getpage.cgi?page=itemtoy&itemID=14726&cool=. Only 50 $ for a phonograph, that's really a bargain!
DrZarkov

Postby Stephen » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:35 am

DrZarkov wrote:I found another interesting toy, maybe usable as an Edikow: http://www.verycoolthings.com/vct/Neo_getpage.cgi?page=itemtoy&itemID=14726&cool=. Only 50 $ for a phonograph, that's really a bargain!
This is indeed interesting, Volker. Note in the enlarged photograph the fulcrum on the sound head. Unlike the Edison machine this machine is using a laterally modulated groove!

I wonder how Roland is coming along with a working non-electric television system. He has not reported in for some time.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:01 am

I've printed out the english manual of this Phonograph. the discription is very good, it should be easy to make your own phonograph without buying that kit. The material costs are in total less than 5 EUR.

The only neccessary thing I really miss is time...
DrZarkov

Postby Viewmaster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:25 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I found another interesting toy, maybe usable as an Edikow:

You may well find that the mechanism is not good enough for NBTV..
I have given up trying to record on my lathe as the speed variation/vibration is ruining the recordings on wax.

Here's an update of my progress so far into the Edikow world.....

I have obtained an Edison Ediphone machine now being adapted for NBTV!
Here's photos of modified reproducer arm. The black knob at ther top is for shaving/recording depth adjustment. The shaving tool is carried on the bracket. You can see the shiny surface of the black Edison wax cylinder.

Also shown are 2 recording heads I have made...one lateral and the other hill/dale recording. I can get up to near 10 kc now with a modified equilisation input to the cutter heads.
The shaving tool is made from gauge plate.
This machine will, hopefully, be able to shave/record/playback in the one mchine.
Incidentally, being a purist, an Edikow machine for me, MUST record onto Edison wax cylinders to justify the name EDIkow, else it should be renamed a PLASTICkow ! :lol:
Albert.
Attachments
Modified head.jpg
Modified Ediphone maching head
Modified head.jpg (12.07 KiB) Viewed 10107 times
Picture 088.jpg
Lateral and hill/dale cutters
Picture 088.jpg (13.13 KiB) Viewed 10107 times
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Stephen » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:24 am

Viewmaster wrote: Here's photos of modified reproducer arm. The black knob at ther top is for shaving/recording depth adjustment. The shaving tool is carried on the bracket. You can see the shiny surface of the black Edison wax cylinder.

Also shown are 2 recording heads I have made...one lateral and the other hill/dale recording. I can get up to near 10 kc now with a modified equilisation input to the cutter heads.
These are fine pieces of engineering work, Albert! I am especially impressed with the cutter heads and the results that you are getting from them.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:44 am

Today my Stirling engone arrived! That was really fast, a little bit more than 24 hours! The aluminium parts are for the cylinders, it must be more heat resitant, of course. It is not assembled yet, photos will follow tomorrow.

I think the motor will be strong enough for at least a smaller cardboard disc, that's o.k. for experiments.

A freebie in the package was a ruler with a built-in fresnell-lense. Another usefull item for a mechanical TV.
DrZarkov

Return to Mechanical NBTV