New member's thanks.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

New member's thanks.

Postby NutmegCT » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:23 am

Hi all. New member here (with great thanks to Andrew Davie for his help in getting registered!).

I built my first (so far) Radiovisor back in the mid 1960s, as a high school project. Used the ideas I found in a 1927 copy of Science Newsletter. Was amazed that my 12 line contraption could send/receive a semi-recognizable shadow of a hand, weaving lazily up and down behind the mask. My parents were impressed with my teen-aged enthusiasm, altho' not with the rather primitive results.

So after 30+ years of family and career, I've joined the semi-retired ranks and am itching to build another scanning machine. I've ordered the MUTR device, but soon after placing the order I found that they "don't travel well" from UK to USA. I also emailed Peter Yanczer several times, but still have received no reply.

Any advice to a beginner, especially in the realm of "here's what to do to build your first *real* radiovisor/televisor", will be most greatly appreciated.

By the way, please withhold judgment on my USA location. Altho' I voted both in 2000 and 2004 (for the losing party), I still can't get myself to acknowledge the group which then slithered into office.

Thanks again.
Tom
Eastford Connecticut
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby NutmegCT » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:32 am

PS - if there's a "kit" available with the (apparently?) preferable 32 line standard, please point me toward it!

Thanks.
Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Stephen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:39 am

Welcome aboard, Tom.

You will find a wealth of information here that ranges from completely non-electric television to narrow-band colour and 3-D techniques. You have a lot of catch-up reading to do in the posted messages to date! The Patents and Articles section is most interesting as well.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

My apolagies.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi Tom, and welcome.

Firstly I feel I must apologise as there's every reason that it was my fault that you had a bit of a hard time getting activated here. We get as an average a dozen or so applications a day which are mostly spam-bots.

Andrew, Dave and I get suspicious when the 'Screen name' applied for here doesn't match (in any way) the name in the e-mail address. Here's a few from today:-

DreuyyHnta nbfdvx@fromru.com
Email [ anbfdvx@fromru.com ]

subucxions
Email [ subucx@gmail.com ]

Rigteedapat elza_enoch@yahoo.co.uk
Email [ elza_enoch@yahoo.co.uk ]

Archibujn buildtrh@fromru.com
Email [ buildtrh@fromru.com ]

ImmiMaevexMaf hadfadf1234@allfarm.cn
Email [ hadfadf1234@allfarm.cn ]

mxivideomen adamshulz@xmail.net
Email [ adamshulz@xmail.net ]

1MooloSelo ojciec_dyrektor1@buziaczek.pl
Email [ ojciec_dyrektor1@buziaczek.pl ]

Angelfsfdc angelxz@fromru.com
Email [ angelxz@fromru.com ]

ABBIEE dizzyusa@mymail.com
Email [ dizzyusa@mymail.com ]

Qdrujxbr gegengef@gmail.com

Plus there's a lot of dubiously named domains as you can see. I wouldn't even consider contacting any of the above.

So my apolagies. I think between the three of us that moderate this forum we have approved less than half a dozen in the last few months. It's not easy filtering out the wheat from the chaf.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: My apolagies.

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:It's not easy filtering out the wheat from the chaf.
Steve A.

...or the nutmeg!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby NutmegCT » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome gents.

Sure glad I didn't use a login like "goakjdxhvfiuw"!

As a former network manager, I was (am) always amazed that over 95% of email is spam. Why anyone does that is beyond me, but I suppose if email is free, there's no reason not to. Sigh.

Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Dave Moll » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:05 pm

May I add my welcome as well. Nice to see another genuine registration to the forum.

I have been away for the past few days (combining the BVWS meeting at Wootton Bassett with a pre-Christmas visit to family members) so didn't spot the registration at the time.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:35 pm

Blimey,

It's a wonder my registration got through!

Regards,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby NutmegCT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:50 am

Gentlemen - altho' I just tried to login and got "you have been banned" at the login screen, my second attempt was a bit less offish. Second time's the charm?

I've been scanning various threads and posts, and find Andrew's construction diary thread very interesting indeed.

Is there a beginner's "build a 32-line NBTV compatible radiovisor" set of instructions? I've found several threads and websites which chronicle year-long experimental procedures and techniques, but would really prefer to get started by building my own, by following a single design or set of instructions.

I'm relatively handy with soldering wires and parts together, but things like fabricating an accurate disk, mount, and circuitry without a recommended schematic and/or model to follow are a tad intimidating.

By the way, I've still not heard from Peter Yanczer, so I wonder if there's an alternate way of reaching him beside the email address he gives on his website.

Onward through the fog!
Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:30 am

NutmegCT wrote:I've been scanning various threads and posts, and find Andrew's construction diary thread very interesting indeed.

There are two threads of relevance...

http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewtopic.php?t=125

I would suggest following pretty much the process I went through above. If I were doing it again, I'd do it the same way and in the same order.

As to the Nipkow disc, Peter's turned out to be excellent -- but there are various alternatives, including hand-made :)

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Charm school..

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:36 am

NutmegCT wrote:Gentlemen - altho' I just tried to login and got "you have been banned" at the login screen, my second attempt was a bit less offish. Second time's the charm? Tom

Don't understand why that should have happened...your profile etc. looks the same as everyone elses' here. Perhaps it was just a random digital glitch. If it happens again please let us know.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:39 am

NutmegCT wrote:
I'm relatively handy with soldering wires and parts together, but things like fabricating an accurate disk, mount, and circuitry without a recommended schematic and/or model to follow are a tad intimidating.
Onward through the fog!
Tom

A good start is the NBTVA site if you haven't already been there.
The club shop sells ready drilled discs. Also the circuits and pcb's for a NBTV are all there
. Many use the drum from an old video recorder as the basis for the bearings on which to mount and run the Nipkow disc.
http://www.nbtv.wyenet.co.uk/index.htm

Happy NBTVing.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:48 am

AncientBrit wrote:Blimey,

It's a wonder my registration got through!

Regards,

Graham

If anyone applies with a username like "Cantankerous old fart" or "Bitter and twisted"...they'll be appoved instantly...even for the younger members, "Zit-faced nerd" would get my approval as they sure would have some thoughts to offer.

But Trstepp2645ty@noaddress.com ...forget it.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:54 am

Steve Anderson wrote:"Zit-faced nerd" would get my approval as they sure would have some thoughts to offer.

well I joined before you started moderating new members :)
but it'd have been an accurate name yes :p
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Mechanical NBTV