Photomultipliers in Practice

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Panrock » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks, the tone plays fine, but would it not be better to say, try a 40KHz ultrasonic signal for 'scoping, to check that my sound card doesn't roll off at this frequency?

I'm getting a reasonable (though not perfect) grey scale on the test pattern. Tried again with the photography this morning. By turning the picture contrast right down I was able to get a 'shutterless' view but again, the whites are flaring badly and defocussed in the digital camera's view. The best viewing is to be had by eye, about six foot from the monitor, when the results with moving, simple subjects (such as puppets) really are of entertainment quality. Just as were Baird's early '30s broadcasts.

Colour helps though. But this remains rather over-vivid. Maybe I should remove the red gel I put in front of the camera's red dichroic channel, which seemed a bit 'orange' to me on its own, and instead trust the dichroic's built-in colorimetry.

When displaying actual pictures (ie. not an all peak-white field). the luxeons' heatsink remains 'ice-cool'.

It's now back to (real) work for me full-time, but I'll attempt to carry on with this in the evenings. Next the first 80-line disc...

Steve
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV