Simple televisor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:07 pm

NutmegCT wrote:I'd think the MUTR kit can introduce complete neophytes to the mechanical tv concept. However, the picture is only half inch by half inch, .......After assembling it, I quickly wanted "more". Tom

In which case it did its job perfectly! And at a sensible price.

M3DVQ wrote:...apparently the MUTR people have shown no interest in communicating with the NBTVA about anything. The MUTR Televisor uses an old version of the club circuit, ripped off with no acknowlegement.

...in which case I wonder how they would feel if the same thing happened to them? Although not a 'commercial' venture I wonder why they make the kit? And with thier stocks being so low it seems they might not wish to continue it.

For Tom, he's at the 'second phase', wanting to build from a pile of bits that have been selected to work with each other rather than have a large percentage of the hard work already done and add his own personality to it. A bigger and brighter display would be desirable too.

For those that have one, what is the diameter of the disc in the MUTR device?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:14 pm

About 20 cm.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:44 am

Thanks Dr.

For this kit I was thinking of an unetched single-sided fibreglass PCB for the disc, they can be done to 1mm or less thickness and certainly 25cm diameter should be no problem.

I'll make enquires at the usual guys who do mine...I can imagine thier thoughts..."Circular? Unetched? With a strange pattern of holes?"

The idea started here...

http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewtopic.php?t=160

It's very hard to break or bend in shipping and even if put under stress returns to its previous form, within limits of course.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:37 pm

Steve, the glass fibre PCB idea is a good one. Worth pursuing.

Regards,

GL
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby NutmegCT » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:29 am

After assembling the MUTR kit myself, here's what I *think* the beginner would appreciate, after having the taste whetted:

Step by step similar to the current Handbook monitor pages.

A "blueprint" of a suggested frame construction.

Appropriate PCBs with schematics and "final finish" photos.

All electronics to complete the PCBs, plus related components (potentiometers, etc.) as required. If no components, then a list of specifically what's needed to complete the system, and suggested source(s).

Disc with holes and hub, motor, and mounts for disc/hub and motor, designed to fit in the "suggested frame".

Appropriate synching hardware ("opto-fork" or strobe reader?)

NBTV CD set, plus Gary's Video2NBTV if that's ok with Gary.

Other software and hardware recommended by experienced forum users.

Subscription to the newsletter.

As was said here earlier, "... what is needed is a 'standard' motor, disc and mechanical drive arrangement that is matched to a similarly 'standard' drive circuit."

It really seems to me that if the Handbook were revised to reflect the club's available PCBs, and a "standard motor, disc and drive arrangement" were available, the battle would be very nearly won.

Thanks for your patience.
Tom
NutmegCT
Research Scientist

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:30 am

NutmegCT wrote:Thanks for your patience. Tom

Tom, I think it's more thanks for your patience! As a newcomer to this I can see it's not been easy, and getting answers to simple questions hasn't been easy. This is the area I feel really needs addressing, and it needs to be done in a simple fact-by-fact manner.

Where I feel that we currently fall flat on our faces is addressing those issues. As Andrew has rightly said in a different thread, he provides the basic resources, but it's up to us to put the effort in to see it grows.

But, don't forget this is of a 'hobby status' and there are many here who don't have the time or resources to devote to this as much as they might like. Right now that includes me. Six months ago would have been no problem, and in six months time...well, who knows.

But your fundemental thrust is taken on board and we do need to do something about getting a beginners guide put together. You've come in and really caught us with our knickers down, and a wake-up call it has been.

Your input, althougth seemingly distant, has led me to a posting for Steve O's device under construction. i.e. simplifying it. It's a bit like over-blown software, until someone does it less than half the size, who cares?

Tom, your input has been valuable, and given us a perspective of how we might be viewed and how we collectively should move forward....and that's not managementbollockspeak.....but a pretty good attempt I like to think

Steve A.

P.S. One is allowed to be flippant here...but I do understand your interest, and encourage you to enter what will be a fasinating world. The joy of seeing flickering pictures which by todays standards are prehistoric...cannot be beaten. And the best part is? You've done it with your own hands, not a store-bought 'appliance'.
Steve Anderson

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV