[Hot News] Ray Herbert, C.Eng. (1918-2005) an appreciation

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

[Hot News] Ray Herbert, C.Eng. (1918-2005) an appreciation

Postby moderator » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:32 pm

<h3>Ray Herbert, C.Eng. (1918-2005)
an appreciation by Malcolm Baird</h3>
Picture courtesy of Don McLean

During Ray’s years of active retirement he became a leading historian of the life and work of John Logie Baird. He was uniquely qualified for this through his early experience with Baird Television Ltd. and his network of contacts with former Baird employees. His home near Croydon was within a short journey of the places where Baird had worked such as Hastings, Soho, Sydenham and the Crystal Palace.

I first met Ray in 1985 while on a sabbatical leave from my academic post in Canada. Until then I had been aware of my father’s contributions in a broad sense, but pressure of time had prevented me from learning much of the fine detail. That first meeting with Ray encouraged me to make more of a study of television history. We were both professional engineers and had the same “no-nonsense” approach, with all pieces of information traced to their sources, cross-checked and linked as far as possible to form a coherent story.

Ray wrote frequently for the NBTVA Newsletter and the Bulletin of the British Vintage Wireless Society. He made an outstanding contribution to television history with his book “Seeing by Wireless”(1997). In 2000-2001 he was of immense help to Antony Kamm and me in compiling our book “John Logie Baird - a life”. He played a part in organising the special transmission of mechanically scanned television across the Atlantic on short wave in February 2003, marking the 75th anniversary of the first transatlantic television.

Television history can be a touchy subject not entirely free of arguments, but I will always remember Ray’s friendship and humour and sense of proportion. Several times I visited his home and he and Helena treated me with the utmost hospitality and consideration, realising that I needed a peaceful break in my hectic visiting schedule. Ray’s passing has been a major blow to his fellow television historians, but his memory lives on as sound and video recordings, innumerable articles, and his excellent book “Seeing by Wireless”.

<a href="http://www.g3src.org.uk/g2ku-obituary.htm">Surrey Radio club Ray Herbert G2KU - Tribute Page</a>

Original URL: http://www.nbtv.wyenet.co.uk/cold.htm
Site Admin

Return to Mechanical NBTV