[Hot News] Steve Ostler's 30-line full-colour system

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

[Hot News] Steve Ostler's 30-line full-colour system

Postby moderator » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:26 am

<h3>Steve Ostler</h3>
My 30-line full-colour system is now complete and in my estimation, satisfactory at last.

Thanks to the use of an efficient dichroic splitter block and three photomultiplier channels, the camera works in very dim light. This allows comfortable televising and viewing of the picture at the same time. Indeed, best results are obtained using just the camera's built-in lighting, which consists of low power fluorescent tubes for the blue and green and under-run orange-glowing 'spot' lighting for the red. In general, picture quality now approaches that obtainable when using a standards converter. The colour fidelity is quite accurate. Both the camera and monitor use laser-cut discs with square holes, for a 'lineless' raster.

I should like to thank all the club members who provided parts, suggestions and know-how, and without whom none of this would have been possible.

On (another) topic, that of of the Robers-Brown colour standard, there is a thread starting here, which I feel can best be answered by more knowledgeable club members than I....

http://www.copycoder.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=204

Thanks, Steve
Site Admin

Re: [Hot News] Steve Ostler's 30-line full-colour system

Postby moderator » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:29 am

taswegian wrote:On (another) topic, that of of the Robers-Brown colour standard, there is a thread starting here, which I feel can best be answered by more knowledgeable club members than I....

http://www.copycoder.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=204

This standard is now <a href="http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17">documented in this forum.</a>
Site Admin

Postby moderator » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm

<h3>Steve Ostler</h3>
Just a note of further developments. You'll have already heard I now
consider my colour system complete at last (now full RGB colour with
sensitive PMTs on all channels) so I've now turned my attention back to my stereo apparatus.

I've improved the stereo adapters by replacing the acrylic shutter discs
with discs made of stout card. So the apertures are now true 'gaps' rather than being transparent sections in the shutter discs. There is now much less light loss, and along with careful tweaking of the beam splitter positions + the improved NBTV system generally, I'm getting reasonable results. The picture is quite clear and in full colour stereo.

However, since my method uses 'left-right,left-right 'channel switching,
the flashing display is somewhat irksome and could actually be dangerous for epileptics. I still prefer the mono view, which really is quite good. At the convention, I think I'll demonstrate the mono first, and then the stereo after lunch.

Site Admin

Return to Mechanical NBTV