NBTV + NTSC = NBSC?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

NBTV + NTSC = NBSC?

Postby dominicbeesley » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:59 am

Hello,

Please find attached a simple Player Program for playing my experimental NBSC colour files.

These files are backwards compatible with NBTVA club standard files but have NTSC style colour inserted on a subcarrier. Currently this subcarrier has been deliberately chosen to be a "bad" one that shows heavy patterning whilst debugging other aspects.

The sample files included should all be playable on machines that accept club standard video. I'll start a new thread in the main forum to outline the main features of the standard and how I intend to improve matters. [ The main thread is here: http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vie ... =5043#5043 ]

The software should install on XP or Vista and probably older versions of Windows. You need the .Net Framework 2.0 which can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Unzip the files and run the setup.exe file, this should install a program called "NBSC Player" on your start menu->programs and will install a set of example files in a folder "NBSC Sample Files" on your desktop.

To view a file, run the player, choose the File->Open menu item and navigate to the Desktop then select NBSC Sample Files and then the "sample files" sub-folder, inside there should be a collection of examples.

The files play back quite well, and should hopefully be recogniseable. The patterning is quite heavy still as I've not done any clever filtering or bandwidth limiting of the I and Q signals.

You may be able to play some other files with the player though it is a bit sensitive to levels. For example the "lass.wav" file plays back fine but the "bing.wav" file in this section does not due to sync problems with the software.

Most of the files included are at 44.1kHz (except bullseye which is at 48kHz). The syncing in the software is not all it could be so the 44.1kHz files look a bit worse in the player than they do in "real life" when I played them back through my CRT / scope setups.

Dom
Attachments
NBSCPlayerV0.01.zip
NBSC Colour player, experimental version
(17.91 MiB) Downloaded 3343 times
grab-be.jpg
screen grab of Player playing the bullseye sample
grab-be.jpg (23.8 KiB) Viewed 7922 times
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Return to Mechanical NBTV