NBSC - Java version!

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:14 am

That is the reason behind the 44.1 kHz sampling frequency: Just before 1980 Sony had an add-on box for the Betamax video recorder (as well for the U-matic video recorder) for digital sound recording and play back. For a rather simple bit orientation on TV-lines with the limited bandwidth of the Betamax, the choice for the sampling frequency was rather limited.

So Sony had everything ready for 44.1 kHz and insisted that this would be the sampling frequency for CD, in stead of the 48 kHz, as in use already in the professional world.

They had the lead in 44.1 kHz digital sound and wanted to keep this in the war (called cooperation) with Philips. The advantage was: 10% more playing duration under the same conditions. And they could show us that it could be done. So it went 44.1 kHz and 2 x 16 bits. We, ,had dark grey thoughts about both choises in the beginning.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:30 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:They had the lead in 44.1 kHz digital sound and wanted to keep this in the war (called cooperation) with Philips...

Although the audio CD from the outside would seem a collaborative effort between Sony and Philips it's known in the broadcast world that it certainly wasn't! Someone some time back did post on this forum the derivation of the 44.1kHz sample rate which is related to 625 video. I can't recall who or when, but it was at least a year ago.

As always in the rush to get the product to market it doesn't quite live up to expectations. Remember those TV programs in the early 80s showing a CD smeared with jam, or drilled with holes? Of course it played back perfectly. But we all know different.

I handle all my CDs, whatever data might be on them, in the same manner as I used to handle 12" LP records. They're either in the machine or in their case. I'm dismayed by the way my nieces just leave theirs lying around 'naked'...(I'm referring to the CDs).....and they wonder why after a while they stop working!

I use 48kHz sampling as it's compatible with broadcast equipment and as time slips by the audio CD will be a thing of the past, but it's a few years away yet.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:35 pm

[quote="Steve Anderson"] I'm dismayed by the way my nieces just leave theirs lying around 'naked'...(I'm referring to the CDs).....and they wonder why after a while they stop working!

Steve A.[/quote]

Yes Steve, I agree. And YOU know how to repair them again, so they run again, at least for some time, don't you? And your nieces look up to you as the big wizzard.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV