NBSC Player / Recorder

Software related to NBTV.

Re: NBSC Player / Recorder

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:47 pm

Thanks for giving it a go lads,

Harry, you should be able to download .Net 4.6 here so long as you have a registered version of Windows https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=53344

Thanks Jakub

1. You may need to set the output directory and filename, by default the program tries to save to "C:\temp" use the circled button to set where to save and the circled edit box to set the filename.

dirfile.png
dirfile.png (24.12 KiB) Viewed 17988 times

to go direct to a sound device you need to select "direct output" then select a sound output device

outdev.png
outdev.png (25.04 KiB) Viewed 17988 times

if either of these dont work please could you send me the details.

2. Smooth doesn't do much, if you maximize the playback screen and select the single slit aperture it smooths between lines a little but not much - I may remove that feature!

3. There are two sliders at the bottom, the bottom most one should set the playback position, the one above that is a debugging one for when playing back direct from an input device - I need to remove that

It would be good if you could give me more feedback on these points and we can get them all working. It is quite difficult for me to test on all combinations of hardware/operating system etc

Thanks

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:26 am

Monochrome wrote:Hi Dom,

Sorry to post this in the wrong place but I seem to be having difficulty in sending you a private message via this group.

I had a few problems while trying out the NBSC software package I recently downloaded from your webpage. Version NBSCv1.1.3491.294

It seemed to install ok on my Win 7 laptop but it failed to run correctly. A short time after launching the software the laptop would say the software had failed with an "Exception error" and invited me to close the program. I checked my version of the .net framework (V4) for updates and it appears to be currently up-to-date.

I suspected it may not have installed correctly so I decided to try removing and re-installing the software but this is where I ran into another problem. It seems I have no options for removal. The usual list of software in Windows "add /remove" software does not include NBSC and I am unable to find a dedicated removal option in the C:\Program Files (x86)/Dominic Beesley folder.

What would be the best method for removal?

Regards,

Des (aka Monochrome & M0AYF)

Hi Des,

This sounds a bit odd. If you ran the installer then it should be appearing in the Control Panel->Add Remove Programs app. [You might want to check to see if there are any filters applied to the list? If there's a tick after any of the headings Name, Publisher etc, then you may need to click on the ticks and de-select any filters]

However, I'd quite like to get it working!

- Was it NBSC Player or Scrape NBSC that failed?
- Would it be possible to get a screenshot of any exception boxes (if there's an option for "more details" or "show details" please include those).
- Problems usually stem from the software failing to get access to the soundcard or a Windows component called DirectX either not being installed or the wrong version
dominicbeesley

Postby Monochrome » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:10 am

Hi again,

First of all my thanks for responding so quickly and my apologies again for posting in the wrong place and for mucking-up the other thread. What can I say, it was desperation :-)

OK, first of all the good news, I managed to uninstall successfully. I tend to run as a common user in Windows and only supply the admin password as required for installing software. But to uninstall I had to log-out and log back in as administrator before nbsc would appear in the "Add Remove Programs" app. After this I re-installed the software while still logged in as administrator.

Dom wrote:
"Was it NBSC Player or Scrape NBSC that failed?"

It appears to be Scrape that failed. I followed your advice and took a screenshot of the errors. The error box at the center of the image appears soon after nbsc launches and the text to the left of the image is what Windows reports after the software closes. If I choose to ignore the error the nbsc user screen appears but any attempt to load a file for display results in the .Net framework error box re-appearing.

Some additional information that may be usefull...

My system is a Packard Bell laptop.
Dual core cpu T4300 running at 2.1 GHz
Windows 7 Home Premium with Service pack 1
64 bit op-system
4 G/byte RAM

I hope this helps?
My knowledge of Windows is very limited but I have encountered issues with the .net framework in the past so it would not surprize me if that was the problem?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

73,s

Des (aka Monochrome & M0AYF)
Attachments
Errors.png
Screen grab of errors seen.
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 am

Aha, this is starting to ring a bell [it's a long time since I wrote the NBSC software and I never really finished it due to seeming lack of interest. I think this might be that you're running a 64bit OS and the version that I have on the website doesn't like 64bit. (64bits was pretty rare back in the day).

Please could you try uninstalling that version and trying the 1.1.2 version from the previous page (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=872#p23327) that I did last yea. That should fix the 64bit problem and allows live playback from the soundcard. Let me know how you get on and if this works for you - if it does I *will honest* update my website! Make sure to uninstall the old version first before installing the new one to clear up any possible 32/64 bit dll conflicts.

If there are people using / wanting to use it then I would be happy to spend a bit of time fixing it up...it's nearly 10 years old now and was thrown together in something of a hurry. I could do a better job now...
dominicbeesley

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:48 am

Always liked your software Dom and every one others all have uses, but as using yours as a tool the player i find yours very useful for camera work checking how correct my line frequency is i know if my video file plays correctly on yours i pretty much have got it right .
Just wanted to let you know i appreciate the work that went into it !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Thanks Harry,

Good to know. I'm not that sure how many people actually use it. Gary's player / recorder beat this in a lot of ways especially for converting from a video. Mine is more of a simulation rather than an efficient player.

I wish I had more spare time to do a full re-write, there's loads of stuff I'd like to do. Especially around recording / playing back from tape and maybe a digital mode for RF...

D
dominicbeesley

Postby Monochrome » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi again Dom,

Thankyou for another fast response.

I have downloaded v1.1.2.zip and will try it this evenening and let you know what happens.

BTW I scecond Harry's comments (great work) and being a software "ludite" I understand just how much work is involved just to get to a point where you can write your own software. I only wish I had a fraction of those skills. My software skills are tested to the limit just getting a few LED's to flash with a Picaxe microcontroller in BASIC :-)

Fingers firmly crossed here and I will remove the existing version of nbsc from my system and try the new version later.

73,s

Des.
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Postby Monochrome » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:45 am

Hi again Dom,

It is with sadness that I have to report that I am still having problems :-(

I removed the old version of nbsc and then installed v1.1.2 as administrator. When I launched the software it informed me I needed a newer version of the .net framework (v4.6) so I first removed v4 which may or may not be required but at least it saves time when updating as windows will not waste as much time updating obsolete files :-)

I then installed v4.6 of the .net framework and the re-launced nbsc player which this time failed with a different message informing me that it had stopped working (see attached image) and I also got the same error message when I launched nbsc scrape.

Since launching the newer version of nbsc I have not been able to get as far as seeing any of the user screens as the error message appears almost instantly. Here is an expanded view of the error box text...

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: NBSCPlayer.exe
Application Version: 1.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 5aa14f02
Fault Module Name: KERNELBASE.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24231
Fault Module Timestamp: 5b6db2d4
Exception Code: e0434352
Exception Offset: 0000c54f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

The same details and numbers appear in the error box for nbsc scrape with the exeption of the application name of course.

I hope this helps?

73,s

Des.
Attachments
Errors.png
NBSC error message.
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Is it easier load a second operating 32 system on your computer Des ?
I am not sure as i have i never had a computer that can run a 64 bit system if it can run both operating systems ,i know it doesn't work the other way around but with your better pc may be .
i only have a few old computers but they come in handy for this stuff but i know its a pain swapping computers so i think i were you i would try loading a crappier windows 7 32 bit and go for dual boot via the boot up menu .
Should have no problems with Doms software then .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 pm

dominicbeesley wrote:Thanks Harry,

Good to know. I'm not that sure how many people actually use it. Gary's player / recorder beat this in a lot of ways especially for converting from a video. Mine is more of a simulation rather than an efficient player.

I wish I had more spare time to do a full re-write, there's loads of stuff I'd like to do. Especially around recording / playing back from tape and maybe a digital mode for RF...

D

I like Garys Big picture it comes in handy on say if i made a camera and the resulting video file made the line frequency and framing is a touch off it would correct it to view but to know i am spot on a correct line or framing your software it has to be correct or very very close so fussy as it is this to me is a good thing a tool to know i have made a correct video file of what ever format. I used it a lot on the PMT flying spot camera for 32 and 64 line video wav files .
For me i use the player more than any thing great tool for me .
Harry Dalek

Postby Monochrome » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi again Harry,

My laptop has Win7 64 bit "pre-installed" which means the only way it would let me install an older 32 bit version would be to overwrite the partition which contains Win7 64 bit for recovery. If I do that I can never go back to Win7 64 bit but more importantly I would also have deleted all the drivers needed for the custom laptop hardware.

If I had a Win7 32 bit installation disk then I could run with the generic drivers supplied but would probably loose some of the functions such as the high (192 kHz) sampling rate of the soundcard. In theory the required drivers might be available on the net but probably not in 32 bit versions.

The other problem is that I would have to start from scratch in regard to security updates which for an older Win7 installation now takes many, many hours after which I would then have to re-install all the previous working packages.

It might be easier to try and find another older laptop with win7 32 bit installed?

Perhaps Dom can shed some light on the error code?

3,s

Des.
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Postby dominicbeesley » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi,

Sorry this is taking a while - that error looks like it is (probably) a problem with DirectX or the graphics card.

Please could you check what version of DirectX you have installed
Code: Select all
Click Start, type dxdiag in the search box.
Tap or click on dxdiag from the results.
Check DirectX Version on the first page of the report in the System Information section.

The other thing that is worth checking is that your sound is working ok? Can you play music?
dominicbeesley

Postby Monochrome » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi Dom,

Thanks again for another swift response.

[quote="Monochrome"]Sorry this is taking a while -[/quote]

Its fine, really. I am in no hurry, indeed its been years since I have had the time to enjoy nbtv related topics so if I have to wait a few months or longer to find a solution thats fine :-) During that time I might pick-up a few more discarded laptops or a desktop with win7 installed so I could try a different system.

[quote]The other thing that is worth checking is that your sound is working ok? Can you play music?
[/quote]

Yes, sounds working both ways and I have a number of sound card related softwares running on the laptop including NBTV The Big Picture V2, MMSSTV and most recently FreeNBTV and SSTV-Webcam both of which Harry put me on to. I did try the newer NBTV The Big Picture V3 but it failed to run.

Interestingly, MMSSTV is quite old now and almost certainly written for 32 bit op-systems but it runs fine under Win7 64 bit so perhaps Win7 64 bit has backwards compatibility?

I will follow your instructions and make a note of the Direct-x version the system is running and get back to you asap.

BTW Dom, could you explain in terms simple enough for a software ludite to understand exactly what the Microsoft .net framework does? I am guessing its a collection of additional library routines or something?

Thanks again for your feedback and help.

Des.
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Postby Monochrome » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:47 am

Hi again Dom,

An update to my last post...

Have checked my version of Directx with dxdiag as instructed and its version11.

73,s

Des.
Monochrome
Research Scientist

Postby dominicbeesley » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:27 am

Thanks Des,

Please could you take a screenshot of each of the tabs in dxdiag. Also, it might be worth trying to upgrade to Direct X 11.1 if that's not too much trouble.

Thanks for sticking with this - we will get there in the end...

D
dominicbeesley

PreviousNext

Return to Software