And spot wobble

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

And spot wobble

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 pm

I found this on i suppose early spot wobble and before line interlace ? but it does look improved i was wondering if using both spot wobble and luminance might be something that hasn't been tried for NBTV CRT systems..i know we use one or the other but i don't recall both as in the picture.
Attachments
Screen 00008.jpg
Screen 00008.jpg (156.64 KiB) Viewed 10733 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Jean-luc has successfully used spot wobble with NBTV, his thread is here...

http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vie ... an&start=0

It's one of those things I'll get around to one day...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

CRT? How about trying it with a spinning Nipkow? :shock:
A VERY slight to and fro vibration of the disc bearing mount at about 20-30kc maybe?? Or a 'wobbly' lens in front of the Nipkow disc?
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Viewmaster wrote:CRT? How about trying it with a spinning Nipkow? :shock:
A VERY slight to and fro vibration of the disc bearing mount at about 20-30kc maybe?? Or a 'wobbly' lens in front of the Nipkow disc?

I like your thinking i suppose thinking like that made spot wobble happen for CRTs :wink: never know till you try.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Viewmaster » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am

harry dalek wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:CRT? How about trying it with a spinning Nipkow? :shock:

I like your thinking i suppose thinking like that made spot wobble happen for CRTs :wink: never know till you try.

With my nutty way of thinking, Harry, I might have suggested rattling
the CRT back and forth. :lol: .........or ones head :shock:
Attachments
TV rattle.jpg
TV rattling!
TV rattle.jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 10703 times
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:57 am

Viewmaster wrote:...rattling the CRT back and forth. :lol: .........or ones head :shock:

The problem with wobbling ones head is that the brain may tend to compensate for head movement.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:55 pm

That design Albert is a bit heavy on the neck muscles as well :shock:

Having a think about it how about viewing the Nipkow off a vibrating mirror or a screen of mica it reflects light and has very little mass which would be a one less problem for a home made one trying to vibrate at those frequencies you think it might work at .

Crazy ideas get you thinking Oh my XT processor hurts now .
Attachments
Screen 00010.jpg
Screen 00010.jpg (50.39 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 pm

I can't quite work out why you would want spot wobble on a Nipkow disk.

Spot wobble is only required for devices that have a separation of lines (like those pesky CRTs) - in a well made Nipkow disk there is no separation and in fact may have overlap.

This is, of course, the case where the Nipkow disk has normal pin hole type apertures, in the case of lens or bead disks this is no longer the case but the separation may be removed by using a non-point-like light source similar to a laser guide.
gary

Return to Electronic NBTV