Mounting a small television picture tube

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

Mounting a small television picture tube

Postby M3DVQ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:30 am

I wonder if anyone can suggest a secure and hopefully neat way of mounting a television CRT.

The tube in question is a 5.5" black and white tube from a 12v portable set. Similar to this:

Currently it is held into the plastic TV case by a metal hoop screwed to the case which simply pushes on the back of the tube and wedges it into the bezel. A springy tab on one of the mounting screws provides the earth to the tube.

I've set myself the target of doing "something interesting" with it by the convention.
I've been drawing out a schematic of the TV's circuits and transferred the flyback to a small pad board and built a 555 astable to excite it :D

Alistair.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:49 am

A picture tube like this should be held around the screen. So bend a steel band around the screen, in between a thin layer of felt to distribute the force and fix the screen of the tube firmly in this way. There is no need to support the neck, even better not to do that.

The majority of the weight is the glass of the screen itself, it is thick to prevent it from imploding. The cone and the neck are much stronger due to their form, they are made of much thinner glass.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:06 pm

In addition to the strap make a bottom cradle (padded too) out of, say, 16 gauge ali.
Attachments
cradle.JPG
Ali cradle
cradle.JPG (4.7 KiB) Viewed 7058 times
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Return to Electronic NBTV