The Viewmaster.

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

Re: The Viewmaster.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:02 pm

Viewmaster wrote:...so that we, the audience, have a chance to follow what is in the script. :D

True, mumbling actors don't help either. This is further made worse by the people making the progammes who know the script backwards or have a copy in front of them - so they know what was mumbled even if they too couldn't hear it.

Most of a more factual nature, (History/Discovery) are usually OK. But for example, 'The Aviators' (from the US) is rendered unwatchable...and the subject matter is of prime interest to me.

The only sub-titles here are in Thai, no English. These are added at the TV staion as keyed-in video not closed-cation. Never had Teletext (at all) as it can't handle the Thai characters. The same is true of most Asian TV networks, Chinese, Vietnam, Cambodia etc.. in the vertical interval there are blank lines where the Teletext would have been. A bit academic as it's all being switched off anyway.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:48 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:...so that we, the audience, have a chance to follow what is in the script. :D

True, mumbling actors don't help either. This is further made worse by the people making the progammes who know the script backwards or have a copy in front of them - so they know what was mumbled even if they too couldn't hear it.

Steve A.

Spot on. One would think that someone at high level who has never seen the script would suffer too if viewing it at home
and have done something about it by now.
This has been going on for years. I wrote to ITV and BBC about this many moons ago but nothing is ever un-mumbled. :D
I take comfort in that I do not have to pay a license for all this crap.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby murphyv310 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi.
My Dad built a Viewmaster when we lived in Walton on Thames about the time I was born. It was the 12 inch console version. It came with us to Scotland and he fitted a 13 channel tuner so the set was used on channels 3 & 10. I remember the set well as we had it till 1961.
Cheers Trevor.
murphyv310
Laboratory Assistant

Previous

Return to Electronic NBTV