My Saticon Tube Camera From Junk

Forum for discussion of electronic television. Generally, stuff to do with CRTs and not using mechanical displays.

My Saticon Tube Camera From Junk

Postby jjester6000 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:27 am

I am new to this forum, but I am not new messing around with camera tubes, so I decided to build a simple NBTV camera from a Saticon Tube I pulled out of a broken JVC GR C7. I have already made some crude the deflection circuits, but my main problem is a power supply. I have experimented around with some old AC transformers, but I cannot get anything to work. I am not an expert on high voltage power supplies, so I would take any advice you give me. I have about everyhing alse wired up on a plank of wood, but I need a way of powering the tube itself. My deflection system is very crude, just two homemade sawtooth wave oscilators wired to the deflection yoke. I can control H/V hold with two variable capacitors I pulled from some old radios. The deflection yoke is the original one from the camera, but I would like to wind my own at some point.
If life doesn't give you lemons - Grow Some DAMMIT!!!
jjester6000
Laboratory Assistant

Re: My Saticon Tube Camera From Junk

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 am

Hummm interesting! :)
It might be interesting to build your own camera from junk. I've seen to think of doing my own crude projects as well, I do sometimes get things from junk, but sort-off.
Saticon Tubes (or vidicon tubes) appears on JVC VHS camcorders as their picture pick-ups. It could be interesting to do one for your homemade NBTV camera. :idea: Hope you enjoy doing your camera project! :wink:

Here is a picture of saticon tube I found...
330px-Vidicon_tube.jpg
330px-Vidicon_tube.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Re: My Saticon Tube Camera From Junk

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:45 am

jjester6000 wrote:I am new to this forum, but I am not new messing around with camera tubes, so I decided to build a simple NBTV camera from a Saticon Tube I pulled out of a broken JVC GR C7. I have already made some crude the deflection circuits, but my main problem is a power supply. I have experimented around with some old AC transformers, but I cannot get anything to work. I am not an expert on high voltage power supplies, so I would take any advice you give me. I have about everyhing alse wired up on a plank of wood, but I need a way of powering the tube itself. My deflection system is very crude, just two homemade sawtooth wave oscilators wired to the deflection yoke. I can control H/V hold with two variable capacitors I pulled from some old radios. The deflection yoke is the original one from the camera, but I would like to wind my own at some point.

Here's a link to my go but i failed on this one ...but you learn a bit more and i will try again till i do get one going as i am sure you will ...have you seen Troys vidicon iconoscope projects on you tube he's got both those going and very good construction diary .
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1584&hilit=saticon
But here's my go and Grahams circuit is there see version 3 in the later posts for better schematic lay out i think he used something similar if you want to copy that .
You might find the inverter part bit harder ...
If you are fine with a 50 hz supply back to back 2 240 12 volt or 6 volt transformers and voltage multiplier similar to my PMT supply would give the voltage's
My next project is a vidicon tube i want to play with ...but i need to make a monitor for it to use also with the PMT flying spot camera which is working now just need the monitor to view any thing higher than 64 lines its multi system you see.
You really need the deflection coil for the Saticon its electrostatic focused so that's easier do you have that ?
Do you have a schematic of what you are using and data for your tube ?
That's a good starting point ...and any photos of what you made so far.
I am ok at high voltage supplies depends on what you have handy if you go main's transformer be very careful they are deadly ...on my pmt camera go's mines in a case because they are dangerous .
Attachments
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Electronic NBTV