Mechanical video recorder

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on motor control). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Mechanical video recorder

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Well Testing the last Geared cutting head arm that design worked but was to fast i would of only had a few seconds of recording so back to the drawing board or in my case time to reflect in my head ~! :roll: I also found the player arm seemed to have a bit of moment either side bit sloppy ,so a bit of scrounging in my junk box the new idea is finished and seems slow enough ,i would like to have some speed control here as i did on the tiny lathe to adjust the amount of tracks.
So i will have to see how this go's so far so go ~!

Found some old laser printer parts so came in handy here
DSCN9887.JPG
DSCN9887.JPG (233.79 KiB) Viewed 12812 times

Testing the speed reduction photo below and video below ...as you see now that's what i was wanting !
DSCN9891.JPG
DSCN9891.JPG (257.15 KiB) Viewed 12812 times

Using 2 bearings and threaded bolt cut to size to replace the old player arm holder nice and strong rotates true .

DSCN9893.JPG
DSCN9893.JPG (223.93 KiB) Viewed 12812 times

DSCN9899.JPG
DSCN9899.JPG (190.35 KiB) Viewed 12812 times

So this is where i am up to so far the Arm movement was a bit of a pain to work out so looks like i will have a 2 arm device here one for the lathe and one for the play back suppose it makes it easier splitting the functions..
I have left a little space toward the back the case for a thin long panel ,i will need some controls least here i can mount the electronics in the case under the lathe.
I have to work out a lathe Arm its self for the embossing head i am not sure its a good idea to use the old plastic play back arm for this rather it more rigid after what i found out trying it .
Any case another time to think what i want to do next onit .
Attachments
DSCN9889_x264.mp4
(20.27 MiB) Downloaded 649 times
DSCN9897.JPG
DSCN9897.JPG (249.27 KiB) Viewed 12812 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Attachments
xlg_home_voice_recorder.jpg
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby dharya » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks for the information.
dharya
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:59 pm

Phonovid" LP-image-recording system
TV Pictures from a Record. (Left) A new system, called "Phonovid," plays still TV pictures as well as sound from a phonograph
record. Up to 400 pictures and 40 minutes of sound can be re- corded on both sides of a 12 -inch long- playing record. Heart
of the system is a slow -to -fast scan converter which takes the
signals from the phono pickup and converts them into a TV display. An electronic storage tube stores the picture line by
line and, when the picture is complete, reads it out to the re- ceiver. Two such storage tubes are used. One is repeatedly
reading out a picture while the other tube is constructing the
next one from the video information in the grooves of the re- cording. The storage tubes alternately read out a picture
every six seconds. Both the turntable and the television set are entirely standard. The equipment, in laboratory prototype
form, was demonstrated recently by Westinghouse. The company
foresees the system for classroom instruction, industrial and
military training, vocational education, and sales presentations..

1967 article describing the "Phonovid" LP-image-recording system, which apparently never gained popularity

PhonoVid_004.jpg
PhonoVid_004.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
Attachments
temp_draes033.jpg
temp_draes034.jpg
temp_draes034.jpg (19.2 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
temp_draes035.jpg
475273461_1c24eb51c6_o.jpg
475273471_0000e7513f_c.jpg
475273471_0000e7513f_c.jpg (124.62 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
475273465_2f93a3e1db_c.jpg
475273465_2f93a3e1db_c.jpg (238.59 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
Screen 00008.jpg
Screen 00008.jpg (314.62 KiB) Viewed 12776 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Ok back to work x mas is over !
So far made a lot of mess but got the turntable powered up again and have the ac supply ready for the lathe control .
As it comes together this time i hope it go's easier than the first time . :roll:
Attachments
DSCN9905.JPG
DSCN9902.JPG
DSCN9907.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:14 am

But you should find something of 15 mm to center the CD-disc. I know that centerhole because our Dutch mechanical engineers defined it as large (small) as a very small Dutch coin, a "dubbeltje". A dubbeltje was a 10 cents coin of the Dutch florin, or "Gulden". Now in the Euro-era we don't have any so small coins. I believe that it was the smallest coin in the world. I have still some saved in 2002 when we went over from Florins to Euros.

I like the Euros because we can travel through Europe and in many countries pay with the same Euro money. That is except Switzerland and that Island here somewhere, that does not want any more to be part of Europe.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Dave Moll » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 pm

As a bit of an off-topic aside, I believe these are the coins to which you refer (see below). They measure 15mm across.

Although they may well have been the smallest general circulation coins in the world, I show for comparison a 1/40th ounce fine gold Britannia collectors' coin for comparison as being somewhat smaller. It measures a mere 8mm across.
Attachments
dubbeltje.jpg
dubbeltje.jpg (9.95 KiB) Viewed 12691 times
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:But you should find something of 15 mm to center the CD-disc. I know that centerhole because our Dutch mechanical engineers defined it as large (small) as a very small Dutch coin, a "dubbeltje". A dubbeltje was a 10 cents coin of the Dutch florin, or "Gulden". Now in the Euro-era we don't have any so small coins. I believe that it was the smallest coin in the world. I have still some saved in 2002 when we went over from Florins to Euros.

I like the Euros because we can travel through Europe and in many countries pay with the same Euro money. That is except Switzerland and that Island here somewhere, that does not want any more to be part of Europe.

Yes Klaas that's something i am working on for sure ! one of a few more problems to work out ,i drilled out one of these dvds centers in the second picture ,then promptly lost it for today's picture :roll: but that worked ...the better ones have a grip but i would drill out the tiny springs if i tried those so have to stick to the dvd's ones mostly plastic no moving parts .
i didn't think of a coin i have seen others use a little converter to center and play their cd records so the problem must of come up for many others .
I also need some felt to cover the turntable and a way to stop the cd record moving when embossing blu tack worked last time see i can come up with a better idea this time .
The DC power supply is now made and connected to the lathe driver have speed control and reverse .
I will put in an amp for the cutting head and play back stylus a few days work and i will get back to it .
Attachments
DSCN9911.JPG
DSCN9915.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:18 pm

Bit more progress .
Problem of centering the cd or dvd the solution that seems fine is in the form of a multi pack case base its centered to the record player via rubber so comes off if need be .

DSCN9927.JPG

I was testing the lathe arm control below slowest and fastest speeds and reverse to reset record .

Another problem that i found out last time the lathe arm needs to move smoothly up and down freely to move with the slight wobble movement of the turn table and disk if not 100% flat and only have side movement only via the lathe arm both movement you want no play wiggle ...so my lathe arm is geared and via bearings and the lathe arm its self up down movement uses bearing out of a HD voice coil .

anigif.gif
anigif.gif (402.77 KiB) Viewed 12628 times

DSCN9924.JPG

So this is a bit of repurposing happening...if i could find one i would get a record lathe cartridge but hard to come across these days ...i still have my diy stepper motor embossing head but i have been thinking a magnetic play back head should work in reverse only difference its small ...perhaps not so good for cutting but embossing is another story a play back needle is proven to work ...so i might have a look for one of those which are still made today ...i wonder if the play back bandwidth would be the same feeding some thing to it ...

Most of the hard Mechanical work is done have to still mount the record head and mount a play back arm ....so thinking about those at the moment.
Attachments
DSCN9919_x264.mp4
(23.85 MiB) Downloaded 549 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:16 pm

Yesterday i tried embossing just tracks on a cd to see how it would go and i found i would of got a 30 second record on 78 rpm .....tracks were to wide spaced ,today i had another rummage in my motor junk box and added another gear box to my system and doing another sort test today it now works as wanted at last i can move on.

Below is the new gears added testing it drops my motor gearbox speed by half .
DSCN9929.JPG

Test embossing tracks below the solder is just to weigh the cd down stop and slipping ,i have a short bit of wiring hose takes less space and holds the cd down practical but not pretty !

The cd tracks cut in the video above
DSCN9948.JPG
Attachments
DSCN9933_x264.mp4
(14.46 MiB) Downloaded 545 times
DSCN9932.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:35 pm

I have to say I'm amazed at Harry's tenacity and ingenuity in getting the results he does. I wouldn't even attempt something like this...

Well done and good luck Harry!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby priyamehta » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:18 pm

Thank you for the information.
priyamehta
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:49 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I have to say I'm amazed at Harry's tenacity and ingenuity in getting the results he does. I wouldn't even attempt something like this...

Well done and good luck Harry!

Steve A.

Thanks Steve i am dreadful at the mechanical work i would be hopeless if i had to make it from scratch but if this bit and that bit go together perhaps it might work and that's my way :idea: ,lucky i have a bit of junk ...that gear might come in handy one day must drive my wife crazy as to why i keep what i keep !
A gear box on a gear box fixed today's problem i don't like to many mechanical conundrums !
At the moment i am also thinking of adding a play back arm but i don't like the old ones i have depends here on what i can find or i might just make one .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:56 pm

priyamehta wrote:Thank you for the information.

That's ok i do like posting as i have a bad memory and i use the forum as my memory ! arrr thats how i did it or stuffed it up :wink:
I always wonder who's viewing with those view numbers going up so hello to you and hope this coming in useful to you.
MK2 lathe i want to do SSTV i know at least i can repeat this and i have some ideas on NBTV when i get around to it ,it all depends on SSTVresults first .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Well had a scrounge around the local reuse shops i was mainly looking for a better tone arm than i have at the moment ,not much about not much better than what i have so still tossing up this bit .
Well as always on trips to these places you never come out with what you expect i came out with 2 lap tops and a 100 watt amplifier Sherwood Rx5502 :roll:
41Dlb8DJnmL._AC_SY400_.jpg
41Dlb8DJnmL._AC_SY400_.jpg (12.87 KiB) Viewed 12477 times

rx-5502-real-panel.jpg
rx-5502-real-panel.jpg (32.62 KiB) Viewed 12477 times

Why the amplifier ? well i wanted one as some early cutting heads were ceramic and seemed to run on 70 or so watts this 100 watt amplifier just the thing i needed to test the idea of reversing a play back cartridge of this type ..and it seems to work at what i would expect to hear from something like this .
This was just a old stylus cartridge and does not seem to heat up on a slow scan test ,a longer high frequency test would be interesting .
Volume was 70% if its a watt a percent its spot on ...it might not sound loud but its just right ! i can record with that .
If the newer cartridge can work at its play back bandwidth on record things are looking up for NBTV .
Attachments
DSCN9955_x264.mp4
(8.92 MiB) Downloaded 575 times
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Construction Diaries