Mechanical 2 Drum madness Version 3

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on motor control). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Mechanical 2 Drum madness Version 3

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:29 am

Had a lot of time to think about what to get up to next with our lock down ,most of it wasted procrastinating !
Seeing the state of my old go's at this and a few years storage in my shed i thought its time to give it another go and see if i can construct it a bit better with what i have handy .
The main drum is painted matt black i just have some paper around it as i have to work out the slits on the flat ,bit different this time i used a clear drums on the first go's this time i will have to cut them in depending on how that go's... i am thinking it might be better to make larger slits and a finer slit mask wrapped around the drum ,due to placing the inner drum in the same direction as the larger drum the slits have to be at 45 degrees a saw tooth waveform ...i have not tried it on both the line and framing drum before but it should work works on a CRT ! i might make 2 line drums in case its a mistake one horizontal slit other slanted
fig01rampwave-yL3DaCImy1hwZbpDHvlmbFGIW5zY79k4.gif
fig01rampwave-yL3DaCImy1hwZbpDHvlmbFGIW5zY79k4.gif (4.85 KiB) Viewed 7305 times

Attachments
DSCN7071_x264.mp4
(69.21 MiB) Downloaded 907 times
DSCN7072.JPG
DSCN7073.JPG
DSCN7061.JPG
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Mechanical 2 Drum madness Version 3

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:38 pm

I worked on the problem of how to mount the luxeons bracket in the small drum today...so that's off the list .
How to cut into the drums to make the Slits and make them neat i will have to experiment before trying it on these worst case they are replaceable just have to wait till my kids use up the next can of drinking chocolate and the wife the chicken spice powder ; )
I will have a think about it as you see in the last photo that was my first go at a small slit drum things can only improve !
Attachments
DSCN7132.JPG
DSCN7142.JPG
DSCN7140.JPG
DSCN7130.JPG
DSCN7128.JPG
DSCN7135.JPG
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:45 am

The Inventors of this System i am Trying or the like is from a not so well known inventors Leslie A Gould and Harold P Donle ,Gould made designs on rotating slit drums disc's rotating neon tubes ,invented a 3D and colour system using these ideas Donle many slit drums disc's. ..i will add information to it as i come across any else .
History here on the Forum I mentioned explained the system to Holzman in 2011 so he was the first to give the idea another go from this original idea ,i have also given it 2 go's since then 3rd here ....its more complex mechanically but it also give's you what a standard nipkow drum disc can't various line frame rates and a larger image ...so reason i am revisting this forgotten inventors ideas .
Attachments
xlg_tv_3d.jpg
Screen 00006.jpg
Screen 00007.jpg
Screen 00008.jpg
Screen 00008.jpg (59.49 KiB) Viewed 7276 times
Screen 00005.jpg
Screen 00039.jpg
Harold P Donle
Screen 00039.jpg (253.81 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
Screen 00040.jpg
Screen 00040.jpg (246.27 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
Screen 00041.jpg
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:34 pm

Working out today how to construct the 8 slit drum as in the photos .
i tried at first to see if i could just use the drum for the light slits but i wasn't happy with the results and went with plan 2 cutting out a slit mask just using the drum to hold that .
That seems much better i can now do 2 things ways to go on a light diffuser around the drum or inside the drum but seeing the light slits are bending out when wrapped around the drum wrapping plastic sheet around the drum should even flatten that problem out protect it to...
So far happy enough how its going .
Attachments
DSCN7145.JPG
DSCN7144.JPG
DSCN7146.JPG
DSCN7147.JPG
DSCN7148.JPG
DSCN7152.JPG
DSCN7153.JPG
DSCN7155.JPG
DSCN7156.JPG
DSCN7161.MOV
(38.56 MiB) Downloaded 580 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:41 pm

I have finished both drums now ,bit experimental and bit of know how from the past go's lot neater than what came before .
The light diffuser i might play around with inside the the smaller can see how it go's with the light array .
Next thinking about the smaller drums motor .
Attachments
DSCN7178.JPG
DSCN7183.JPG
DSCN7166.JPG
DSCN7167.JPG
DSCN7168.JPG
DSCN7175.JPG
DSCN7182.JPG
DSCN7180.JPG
DSCN7181.JPG
Harry Dalek

The Stuff up Fixed !

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 pm

Reversing the sawtooth drum and line slit drums ,i stuffed up which was to be the line drum and frame drum now its to my wants :roll:
Testing the last 2 drums i saw i had the drums the wrong way around i wanted the large drum as the line drum and the small as the framing so as it was the smaller had to be the high speed drum and the large the frame slow drum ..basic scanning idea is done ,need to work on the slow framing drum motor now .

Attachments
PICT1027_x264.mp4
(14.22 MiB) Downloaded 533 times
PICT1023_x264_001.mp4
(130.81 MiB) Downloaded 639 times
PICT1025.JPG
PICT1038.JPG
PICT1032.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby FlyMario » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:01 am

Geez Harry! This is going to take a good amount of time to read! Looks great!

Peter J. Fischel
Peter J. Fischel
Mechanical TV Fan, Programmer and Tinkerer.
FlyMario
Mad Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:08 pm

FlyMario wrote:Geez Harry! This is going to take a good amount of time to read! Looks great!

Peter J. Fischel

Hi Peter no worries : 0 ) This ones a bit different to the other monitors horizontal and vertical drums , 2 horizontal drums here i did try it once before for a short experiment ,the drum idea is not hard to make and i think it looks better and cuts down the drum sizes than the other way .
For me it was what empty cans do i have in the pantry ! and worked with those .
Work some more on it tomorrow and work out the inner drum motor drive i tended to always use a stepper motor here due to the slower speed needed.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:37 pm

I have gone back to my original drums ,i cut more angled slits in the second large drum and it weakened it and i noticed to much vibration .
Going back to the original idea i have had to make the line drum the smaller inner drum and its mounted smaller VCR head was not up to the speeds as it was not mounted well enough for that ,so spent a good week or two thinking about and how to mount a larger more stable VCR head and how to mount the drum to it its now not to bad its not easy to centre and balance every thing .
I have not seen good images yet as i have to invert the video ,having only 8 slits the line drum has to run pretty fast .
Any case i know i will get images from what i have seen just trying to construct it as good as i can with what i have handy so taking my time here
Edit
i found today i am still having problems at higher speed with the inner drum at the speed it has to run at there's still some vibration i was not getting on the outer drum so i can run it in reverse and that gives a 45 deg like scan seen here ..more head scratching
P1070283.JPG
Attachments
P1070267.JPG
Harry Dalek

Return to Construction Diaries