PhonoVision Mechanical video recorder Version 3

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on motor control). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: PhonoVision Mechanical video recorder Version 3

Postby smeezekitty » Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:36 pm

You want a transformer to change the impedance. A small mains voltage transformer might work in a pinch (i.e. 6-12v on one side and 120/240v on the other). Put the low voltage end to the amplifier and the high voltage end to the cartridge.
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:34 pm

smeezekitty wrote:You want a transformer to change the impedance. A small mains voltage transformer might work in a pinch (i.e. 6-12v on one side and 120/240v on the other). Put the low voltage end to the amplifier and the high voltage end to the cartridge.

OK mmm step up used the idea on the passive NBTV modulation on my scope ...give it a go right now ..
post when i get back ...
OK it worked ; )
it was a 6v 0 6V so 12v used got the amplifier volume down to 40% with using 6v got it down to 30 % Yes this will make making an Amplifier a lot easier good thinking and thanks !
Attachments
P1070512_x264.mp4
(1.35 MiB) Downloaded 561 times
Astatic X26 Crystal Cutter Head 2.JPG
Astatic X26 Crystal Cutter Head 2.JPG (217.08 KiB) Viewed 9371 times
Astatic X26 Crystal Cutter Head 1.JPG
Astatic X26 Crystal Cutter Head 1.JPG (206 KiB) Viewed 9371 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:01 pm

Spent the day working on an amplifier or one half of the stereo idea ,i happened to find a Lm1875 30 watt amplifier ic in my junk box running it with a dual 30 volt supply and it worked great,i just have to buy another for other channel now i know this works .
P1070529.JPG

So the amplifier side of it is worked out this now makes it a stand alone unit ,i will add PWM recording and AM now

Attachments
P1070526_x264.mp4
(8.8 MiB) Downloaded 539 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Good progress Harry, looking forward to further updates...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:14 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Good progress Harry, looking forward to further updates...

Steve A.

Thanks Steve i was pretty surprised how well this amplifier works ,nice to spend a day working on something and it does what you want .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:37 pm

Just finished the second amplifier
P1070534.JPG

Now that's out of the way apart from connecting mounting the lathe cartridge the recording part of it is all there for AM ,i will construct a PWM circuit similar to this old laser modulator i used last time around i'll improve the 741 side of it with a better opamp ...i found last time around PMW recorded well so it will do at least AM and PWM recording
LASER_COMM_simple.gif

Next i need to work on the play back side since this will be non record player RPM standard i need to play back with this turntable.
Figure 1 - Phono Preamplifier (RIAA Equalisation)
p06-f1.gif
p06-f1.gif (5.93 KiB) Viewed 9340 times

So that's where i am up to now and what's on my mind :roll:
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:27 pm

Bad time of the year for project time but update 2nd amplifier tested works ,built the phono cartridge Ne5532 circuit ,need a 15v dual voltage for this which i will adjust via regulators from the stereo Amplifier's dual 30 volt DC supply ,work on that so that's next .
Bit slow but will work more on it next 2 days .
I have on my mind to later get it to play back to display on a CRT monitor might be a bit fussy for this signal wise ,but i think it would be nice to see it can record other nonstandard NBTV and display back on a CRT ,Bairds 30 line low frame rate would be possible to make now should be able to record it and play back via this beast ..but thinking ahead here for 2021.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Had some time to work on the record play back board .. being a touch more fussy on the video channel for record and play back this time ..
Still going to add a little amplifier for playback to a small speaker .
getting there ;)
Attachments
addtext_com_MDMyNjU4MzI3OTU.jpg
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Bit more work yesterday working on the lathe side of the circuit ,i can try PWM or AM either sound or video or a mix .
I tried the little 2 watt amplifier see if i can get away with just using it with the cartridge but level is a bit low so i will add its own preamp.
Everything else circuit wise seems to be fine for what i need so will not be to much longer before i scratch a few records out .
The 2 ics on the right are CA3040's
Attachments
a.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:25 pm

The electronics on the lathe part is finished, just have to test the cartridge L,R both at the same time just have to add another transformer to the stereo Amplifier ,i was just testing the sound side of it in the video ..I am going to have to be careful with levels i cranked it up to far and noticed sparking in the cartridge .

Attachments
P1070553_x264.mp4
(9.02 MiB) Downloaded 447 times
P1070556.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:18 pm

Little more work today on how to mount the ceramic phono cartridges for record playback and balancing the tone arm with counter weight arm which is adjustable as i will need this when i get around to playing back .
As posted in the electronic section i am also looking into using the Devil A for Andrew monitor for play back ,i know i can adjust this monitor from past go's to different line frame rates which will come in handy for a non standard NBTV recordings with in its limits , know i can do 32 line and hope sound along with it but it would be nice to do a flashy Baird 30 line low frame rate record in honour of phonoVisions inventor in fact the inventor of the first video recorder ever :idea:
Attachments
P1070568.JPG
P1070569.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:23 pm

Sorry for any one following this apart from hooking up the cartridges and mounting the 2 audio out put transformers i should be right for tests ,i was also looking into fixing one of my crt monitors so i could test if 48 line was possible to record..., it would be more flexible if i had more than the software monitor where i am stuck with 30 32 and 60 line...60 line was a failure last time i tried bandwidth to wide i would think but there are so many factors to a good recording and playing back correctly i hope its just a mistake i made last time .

Something i had in mind if the stereo thing didn't work was this idea nothing new under the sun ! 2 audio tracks this case in the video.
I would think this would of been Baird's plan if he was more successful with PhonoVision 2 tacks on the same record half video on one end audio on the other half .

youtu.be/PgbO_OFVaQc
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:20 pm

Time to get I started working on the remaining parts to this build but something has gone open circuit with the geared plater motor so unless its an easier fix the motor needs replacing looks like i will have to go looking in my motor junk box for a replacement fingers crossed .
i will look into that now .
Attachments
DSCN6907.JPG
DSCN6912.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:58 pm

OK i was lucky i had a spare gear duplicate of the small geared plater motor shown now mounted below
DSCN6913.JPG

DSCN6914.JPG

Testing it the idea is working fine again ,it has variable speed you want it around the RPM rates of a record player or record time is very limited if to fast ,here i really just want it to work and the geared motor does not seem to noisy i may place cork under the platter mount to case as any noise would be recorded .

Next week i will mount the cartridge's retest the amplifier's .
Also got to test the play back arm positioning can be delicate need some fine wire for cartridge arm to circuit so it does not effect movement both recording and play back have to work or either will effect results .
Have to also jog my memory what the hell i made bit of reviewing
If any thing i expect same results as my large version fingers crossed ....last time i could do 32 line NBTV i am pretty much limited to what the cartridge Bandwidth is.
Attachments
DSCN6917_x264.mp4
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:16 pm

Here a look at Baird's vision of a player viewer mock up concept i would think since he was never able to view any of he's recordings
The Sphere - Saturday 25 May 1929
I would like to get a little case for mine every thing is a bit easy to knock about as it is now .
I forgot to show how i move the plater ,a geared motor from an old video camera lens zoom adjustment connected to a pulley wheel.
Its got the torque when embossing the cds with out to much noise ,i tried a stepper motor on one of the other gos and they are way to loud vibrations and all so may have the speed nice and correct but the record would be a waste of time so this is the next best thing when i try a bit of a cork under the mount should be good enough ... nice and small to how how i originally was trying for on mark 1.
Attachments
BL_0001861_19290525_042_0023 (2)-1.png
DSCN6918_x264.mp4
(2.44 MiB) Downloaded 188 times
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Construction Diaries