3D Printing

Another televisor build using club circuits. Geared towards identifying where to get all the materials, tools, how to 3D print stuff, and troubleshoot.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

3D Printing

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:13 pm

By far the best site to find free 3D models is Thingiverse.
I have a small number of my creations on that site.

For toothed gear wheels, this is a possible source for 3D models.
For example, this Parametric Pully object looks perfect for playing with toothed wheel sizes! It has a .scad source file, so just varying a number or two lets you change the design for printing.

As noted elsewhere, see OpenSCAD for the 3D software.

It's a matter of conjecture at this point if 3D printed pulleys will hold up to the rigour of rotating a disk at 750rpm, but I'm going to try!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: 3D Printing

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Here's an intersting tip; normally we print with one of two materials - PLA or ABS.
PLA is brittle, but easy to print; it has a lower melting point, and does not warp.
ABS is flexible, but difficult to print; it has a high melting point and warps.
ABS dissolves in acetone, so if you print something and suspend the printed object in a sealed jar with a little acetone on the bottom, the vapours will cause the surface of the object to (slightly) melt and smooth all over. Very useful. Beware, though - flammable vapours!!!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: 3D Printing

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 am

I have a Thingiverse membership, it is very useful. I (selfishly) named my account NBTV, and have thought about changing it for a long time. Most of the models i post are architectural, Most notably Frank LLoyd Wright designs. He is the one architect that really grabs my attention.

http://www.thingiverse.com/NBTV/about
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Andrew Davie's Televisor #2 (2017)