Danger!

Another televisor build using club circuits. Geared towards identifying where to get all the materials, tools, how to 3D print stuff, and troubleshoot.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Danger!

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 am

I guess I won't be using this transformer any more. I should really have inspected it after 10 years in "storage" - in reality, just sitting on top of a shelf in a back room. Lesson learned - a bit annoyed with myself for not noticing this. The fault, if you don't see it, is a very dodgy input line (blue). I'm off to buy myself a couple of replacements.

IMG_20170219_103828.jpg
IMG_20170219_103828.jpg (299.06 KiB) Viewed 4477 times
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Danger!

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 pm

I wonder how it got like that? It looks like someone's replaced the blue wire as it appears soldered right near the winding. But yes, any doubts - bin it.

Many transformers have simple exposed tags that you solder wires too. You tend to see less of those these days but there are still plenty on sale here and those pulled from dead equipment kicking around. I have a box-full of them, but for those fairly new to mains wiring and the hazards it's best to avoid them.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Danger!

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I wonder how it got like that? It looks like someone's replaced the blue wire as it appears soldered right near the winding. But yes, any doubts - bin it.

Binned already.

It got like that simply by being twisted and untwisted and twisted... many times as it was picked up and moved about. Wasn't mounted on any sort of base.
My new setup has the trasnformers firmly screwed in place and the wires firmly attached too.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Andrew Davie's Televisor #2 (2017)