The Binocular

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on CRT problems). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll, Andrew Davie

Re: The Binocular

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:39 pm

Some thing i was not expecting was perhaps not all 3BP1 crts are the same different result same circuit .i might have better results on the first CRT if i connect deflection plates to A2 .... at first i was thinking it was the transformers but does not seem to be the case which is better ..i will try connecting the deflection plates beam centering seems way off on this one .
Attachments
IMG_0598.JPG
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 pm

Well today was more lets see if i can improve results for the first 3BP1 ,connecting A2 to all the deflection plates tamed the beam to least display it ,the result is slightly off the far CRT's nicer raster dot .
I am not sure still if the magnetic field or fields of the transformers are effecting this, if so seems it has no effect to its neighbour.
I will check with the bench Ac power supply next time i have time sit down to work on this again ,even swapping CRT positions would show one way or another.
IMG_0610.JPG

I increased the High negative voltage to the result in below's image -1380 volts it swings up and down a touch due to mains voltage ,very close to the 1400 original supply of the Anderson monitor .
IMG_0609.JPG

I do have up to -1770 volts to play with but i think there would be a sparking problem if i use all this due to the matrix board and circuit lay out on the power supply board so perhaps not wise to go higher and kill parts ,i recall lay out lack of grounding kept killing the 74 volt zener's again on the Anderson monitor ...at the moment it seems to work fine at the voltages i have used before.
A note to my self for future CRT monitors and any one listening if using over 1500 volts spread parts lay out, might also be better to not use matrix board on the CRT circuit more for 3Bp1's can go up to 2000 volts .
Below video adjusting beam brightness control on the scope tube the other has a trimmer at the moment doing the same thing but i only have 2 hands and can only film with one and control the pot with the other :wink:
Attachments
MVI_0613_x264.mp4
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri May 10, 2019 7:02 pm

Still working on this when i can ,i ended up remaking my deflection amplifiers which set me back a bit i think originally had a warn trimmer playing up any case this one is balanced better.
I just remade the video deflection amplifier for now and Testing this today with the ramp circuits they are free running which would be under NBTV standard ..have to adjust turn the tube .
Again looks a lot brighter to the camera and defocused the scope tube again for now ,just wanted to see if they would work together .
Attachments
MVI_0618_x264_002.mp4
(2 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Harry Dalek

Previous

Return to Construction Diaries - Electronic Televisions