NBTV Television Analyst

Centralised area for notes about construction projects. Each project has its own sub-forum. In the sub-forums will be topics relevant to parts of that project (e.g., there might be a topic on CRT problems). If you start a construction diary, just post in the forum with your project name as the topic, and a moderator will create a sub-forum for your project.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: NBTV Television Analyst

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:...It is an improvement over a CRT Analog scope for sure ...

Totally agree. Once you use one you do not want to go back to an analogue 'scope ever again. Smaller (less bench space), lighter, battery-power option on some, usually colour display, screen-scrapes direct to USB or flash-drive, the list goes on...some have huge screens compared to the usual 5" of an analogue version. variable persistence - OK, I'll shut up.

60 eh? I passed that milestone four years ago! Been drawing a pension since I was 55 though I still do freelance work.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:32 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:...It is an improvement over a CRT Analog scope for sure ...

Totally agree. Once you use one you do not want to go back to an analogue 'scope ever again. Smaller (less bench space), lighter, battery-power option on some, usually colour display, screen-scrapes direct to USB or flash-drive, the list goes on...some have huge screens compared to the usual 5" of an analogue version. variable persistence - OK, I'll shut up.

60 eh? I passed that milestone four years ago! Been drawing a pension since I was 55 though I still do freelance work.

Steve A.

Yep 60 what happened ! i will catch up soon Steve ! :wink:

I need to play around with the scope a bit more to see what it can do bit more reading ...least i can tell what the correct waveforms look like and have a direct frequency reading along with every thing else about the waveform i noticed the broken scope i was using i was not getting correct waveform i just noticed this the other day on the tiny slab scope ,wasn't to sure till now ..well i am glad i have this just for that ...
Sort of forced into getting it or asking really ..other wise blind .
Big help here for the rest of the project for sure .
Attachments
WIN_20200719_14_17_13_Pro.jpg
WIN_20200719_14_17_13_Pro.jpg (48.21 KiB) Viewed 10067 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:50 pm

But...having said all those glowing things about digital 'scopes two things I admit I'm somewhat disappointed with my Tektronix.

1) The screen resolution could be better, it's only 320x240 which includes the side-bar and the bottom data on the screen. If you're in the market for something like this investigate this issue thoroughly. In normal use it's OK, and I mean just OK, but when saving to a file to post here for example it is a bit 'naff'.

2) At slower horizontal rates it behaves much like an analogue scope, the trace fades, it's not easy to describe but I can't see why it is like that. But I will admit it is at very slow rates, like 1 second/cm. I don't often use rates that slow (it goes to 5 seconds/cm) so I guess it's a minor gripe.

Overall though it's a vast leap forward from its analogue predecessor and aside from those two issues and at the price I can't see how it could be bettered, it's already 10 years old....

Steve A.

Two screen-scrapes attached, the original out of the scope, and the same one doubled in pixel size to 640x480.

Having said all of the above I guess if I were in the market to replace this 'scope for around the same price in real money today I would end up with something better....there will have been 10 years of development since I bought this one.
Attachments
TEK0006.gif
TEK0006.gif (7.1 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
TEK0006A.gif
TEK0006A.gif (65.39 KiB) Viewed 10065 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:30 pm

I forgot to add...plus a spectrum analyser mode, though a bit limited in some ways it's better than nothing...plus math functions, add, subtract channels, though I can't recall ever using them...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks Steve on the run down on the scope .
Like all things nothings perfect ..
If you look back at the photos you might notice the plug adaptor for 240v on the table ...it does not have a earth the scope socket does i checked if it was grounded to it or not ...that's been replaced with a correct cable with grounding ...

Apart from that it looks good so far ,what yours has over this is you know its worked for years here i will just have to see .
mines the 100MHZ version
SDS1000-series-datasheet.pdf
(744.37 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

owon_sds1000_series_user_manual.pdf
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 374 times

I have not had to much time to play with it yet but will later in the week ...there are few controls i have yet to work out and so i don't really know yet what fully it can do .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:59 pm

Hmm, nice 'scope, or at least the specs read well. Note the screen resolution and size, far better than my Tek - progress...

Steve A.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the widescreen aspect ratio, but I guess one would get used to it.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:54 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Hmm, nice 'scope, or at least the specs read well. Note the screen resolution and size, far better than my Tek - progress...

Steve A.

The only thing I'm not so keen on is the widescreen aspect ratio, but I guess one would get used to it.

When you do a screen shot of a waveform its normal scope size from what i have seen so far ,most of scopes now are wide screen now ? i don't why people are fickle ?

Plan to do some work on the Analyst tomorrow see if i can do screen shots of some of the waveforms .

I think you can do this to USB i have worked it out to pc not usb yet .

I just hope it lasts like to get as few years of it .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:23 pm

Today was mainly working out how to mount the FSS crt i forgot it was a touch longer than the original one bit limited to where i can place it with room to reflect the image to the PMT ...
I may swap here to horizontal either way does not matter but better for the slide format
DSCN6828.JPG

DSCN6836.JPG

Have an idea now where its going to stay just work out the mirror position size with the room i have and PMT placement.
I like the xy mode the scope can do ...now i just need a z input :? suppose i could do some spot wobble ..
Attachments
SAW.jpg
SAW.jpg (252.09 KiB) Viewed 10032 times
Screen 00003.jpg
Screen 00004.jpg
DSCN6808.JPG
DSCN6809.JPG
DSCN6824.JPG
DSCN6825.JPG
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Looks like you're getting the hang of that new scope Harry....it should be very familiar anyway with just a few bolt-on goodies and quirks...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:03 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Looks like you're getting the hang of that new scope Harry....it should be very familiar anyway with just a few bolt-on goodies and quirks...

Steve A.

Yes getting there :) in some ways easier than the analog ...just remembering some of the function's bit use should all sink in !
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:17 pm

Here's a version that I may use for in-the-field use rather than the Tek, around US$485. If it lasts two years, throw it away and get a new one, less than a dollar a day...100MHz, 4 channels...

Those, like myself, who grew up on dual-channel scopes suddenly realise how useful those two extra channels are, plus 'trigger view', effectively a fifth channel,

Steve A.
Attachments
TO1000.PDF
(3.57 MiB) Downloaded 394 times
Steve Anderson

Postby smeezekitty » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:around US$485. If it lasts two years, throw it away and get a new one,

O.O
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:10 pm

I'm not quite sure what 'smeezekitty' is trying to say in his post, but here's my reasoning behind what I said....

1) One would hope it does last longer than two years (the warranty period), and it probably will. But it is made in China and we all know what can come out of that country. A vast amount of semiconductors originate there, but often with external/overseas QC overseeing the manufacturing process. The same is true of the Philippines, Thailand and other S.E. Asian countries.

2) In my case I would mainly be using it in business/work, not a hobby, so I can understand it's a significant investment for a hobby alone.

3) My rather flippant remark, "throw it away" isn't environmentally friendly, but the chances of getting a repair done I would say are close to zero...or as a minimum sending it back to China.

4) Working in the field on building sites, up transmitter masts are often hazardous to not only us but the gear. It gets banged around in transport, dropped, rained upon when outside or overheats due to midday sun.

My Tek cost over five times the cost of this flat-panel scope and I'm always reluctant to carry it up a 200m transmitter mast. No, you can;t get insurance. The fact it has lasted a decade says something for it...though it is now showing its age...it's starting to look somewhat banged-up and grubby...though it still works as new....I'll probably replace it later in the year.

Steve A.
Attachments
Tower-antenna picture.jpg
Tower-antenna picture.jpg (99.61 KiB) Viewed 9991 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:57 pm

Today i was tweaking the the HV poistive to both CRTs as i found the trio scope crt which is now the FSS CRT needs a lot less voltage here than the old 3BP1 nearly half seems happy at 250 or so where as the 3bp1 around 350 to 400 ..bit of trial and error to get the best out of both at the same time with the same power supply that's more tricky but working out ok .
Any case getting there ...

Yes a nice Scope Steve 400ish bucks not to bad i could of asked for a better brand scope but i was not paying for it so had to take that factor into account ! i also didn't know i also got a 4k tv and new laptop ...

Yes i was wondering if you used your scope with your work ..with all the moving about and on the job it has done well !

Yes also on the problem if they brake apart from may be the power supply it would be hopeless to get it fixed so you really need to get a few years out them ...i have on my tiny slab phone size like scope 1 MHZ that seems to have lasted well ...i will find out if they make them better now that the old days if i live long enough the last crt scope lasted 30 years till we know what happened !
OH BTW i looked at the transformer ! why it was smoking had pretty low ohms on the primary winding i noticed it has a thermal fuse it was not open but i was wondering if they open and reset with heat reason the scope didn't work one day and did the next ..rewound the primary hoping it was that ..but no the primary seems ok now but it must of been the secondary more of a pain to rewind so i put that idea away for another day if it ever comes ! :roll:
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:36 pm

Finished up on the CRT side of it and just testing the 3BP1 on modulation below just to make sure it still works !
DSCN6867[1].JPG

I have the mirror now mounted to reflect the screen to the PMT
DSCN6864[1].JPG

Mounting the side i found a old fan mount the 35 MM slides fits it like a glove ,it has a grill that's like a scope gradual which i am going to try out ,i was surprised the gradual shows up on 32 line as well as it did last time i tried FSS ...this is more meant for a test signal than a slide to crt viewing so might come in handy for this .

DSCN6858[1].JPG

Next i need to mount the mirror found a spot depending on where i place the PMT it should see it
DSCN6869[1].JPG

I suppose before i think of mounting the PMT the spot where i hope to put it needs a test ...i also have to still derive the PMTs voltage from my power supply i will more than likely test it with the PMT power supply i made some time back then i can match it ..PMT's working voltage needs to be adjusted to the light level in use or it will over load ...here i can also adjust the CRT FSS light level so that will help also ...well all that's the next step get the PMT and its circuits out of the cardboard box .
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to Construction Diaries - Electronic Televisions