Building 3BP1 tube NBTV Anderson monitor II

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Building 3BP1 multi-standard monitor

Postby aussie_bloke » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks Steve. I will tie the deflection pins to pin 9 and fire it up again and see how it goes. I keep the spot focused for very short amount of time and not too bright so it won't burn the screen.
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby aussie_bloke » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Okay I have tied the deflection plates to final anode pin 9 and have fired up the tube and bingo it is working great!!! :) The spot doesn't move at all when I turn the brilliance down low and I get a nice sharp spot too and on discussion with Harry, we are both satisfied the tube is working good despite the lower voltage. If the voltage still needs to be over -1400 then I will work on modifying the HV circuit but otherwise if it's good I will leave it as is. Another thing to mention the spot is a bit off centered, other than that it looks good. Anyways here's a picture of the tube displaying a sharp spot and also attached is a video demo I made for Harry of the tube in operation.
37.jpg
37.jpg (42.58 KiB) Viewed 13722 times

tube.avi
(10.25 MiB) Downloaded 574 times
aussie_bloke

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Good Work Troy ,have something to work with now only a matter now of deflection and modulation ,you know the opto coupler works and focus its a very good day ...I forgot about the deflection plate thing lucky Steve's got the brains ! :wink:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:24 pm

Yes, that's a bit more off-centre than I would have expected. Try rotating the CRT and see if the spot stays in the same place, i.e. the spot rotates with the tube. If it does it's just a 'feature' of this particular example. If not, it's some external magnetic field. A small offset can be caused by the Earths magnetic field, but I wouldn't have thought that much. Look around for any magnets - screwdriver shafts are often magnetised.

Anyway that offset can be taken care of in the deflection amps - I'm just curious as to why.

As for the HT voltage you may need to boost this once you get a raster displayed, but for the time being leave it as it is. It's safer running the tube at lower voltages until the spot is not stationary any more.

Steve A.

Actually, looking again at the photo - it's not so bad. I have seen others with similar amounts of offset.
Steve Anderson

Postby aussie_bloke » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks Steve. I will rotate and see if the spot stays in the same spot and will let you know in my next reply. Next plan on the agenda before I build the next circuit is to mount the circuits and pots inside the enclosure, I will use pics of Harry's monitor as a guideline.

Now I have during my construction of my monitor have been making vlogs on my progress and have uploaded them to YouTube for all to see, there's 12 videos in total:
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTj6bAZPQpY
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u_nCqqdmaU
Part 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsnMUoVHAR8
Part 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtNmWuZOKc
Part 5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoFFYtZAKVs
Part 6 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn72GpZkkgU
Part 7 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ais7tQ9stT4
Part 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ni1rrJ8EuE
Part 9 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK6I1uU1TjA
Part 10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoC62_ga5pE
Part 11 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh-98PsshBU
Part 12 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upeA_qhZ92g
aussie_bloke

Postby aussie_bloke » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:40 am

Just a quick update, the spot stays still when I rotate the tube so there must be an external magnetic field coming from somewhere.
aussie_bloke

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:04 pm

If you have a compass that may help locate the source of the magnetic field.

Anything ferrous could be causing this - the legs/structure of the workbench, a vice - it probably will be something you would not normally think of!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby aussie_bloke » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:07 pm

I have to just to my right a big vice and a soldering iron, I guess maybe the vice perhaps.
aussie_bloke

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:49 pm

It's unlikely to be an AC-powered source of a stray magnetic field (your soldering iron) as it would de-focus the spot which isn't happening. So it's either something like a permanent magnet or some DC circuit producing the same effect - though this is unlikely.

Don't forget loudspeakers (including those in laptops etc), microphones and DC motors lying idle around.

But as I say, I wouldn't lose sleep over it, it can be taken care of in the deflection amps.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby aussie_bloke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:36 pm

G'day all. It's been a few weeks since my last post of progress on my monitor but have been chipping away with it a fair bit with plenty of help from Harry and have made significant process! I will go in chronological order with pics and video.

Picking up where I left off after getting a spot on the tube, the next plan was to mount the circuits I've already built along with the tube inside the enclosure and wire it all up. So I cut/drilled myself some metal brackets to mount the high voltage circuit and the CRT driver circuit to the back left area of the enclosure, the pots I soldered them onto a bit of a circuit board and mounted them onto a metal bracket and have them positioned a bit inside the enclosure in similar fashion to Harry's, they look wonky but will fix that later on.
38.jpg
38.jpg (105.12 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

Next was to build the deflection circuit but firstly I decided to make a board to mount the 4 adjustment pots onto so I cut a piece of fibreglass board and drilled 6 holes in it 4 reserved for the deflection pots and the other 2 for 2 other adjustment pots on the other boards. I also cut another piece to secure the astig and focus pots as the holes in the front of the enclosure are too big.
39.jpg
39.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

40.jpg
40.jpg (61.68 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

41.jpg
41.jpg (87.83 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

I also made the extra leads from the AC supply for the +/-12 power supply and the tube heater as seen.
42.jpg
42.jpg (89.13 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

Now is time to build the deflection circuit. I built it on some high grade experimenters circuit board that a mate in USA sent me and made the circuits as close and compact as I can as seen. I double checked over my wiring like I usually do for any mistakes. I positioned the circuit underneath the CRT and as close to the rear as I can and cut the areas of the enclosure for screwdriver access to the bias trimpots.
44a.gif
44a.gif (16.58 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

43.jpg
43.jpg (154.55 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

44.jpg
44.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

I then mounted the +/-12V circuit and the pots to the enclosure and wired it all up ready for testing. The CRT is for now just held in place with blu tack at the front in case I need to remove it for any reason.
45.jpg
45.jpg (119.55 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

46.jpg
46.jpg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

After wiring it all up it was time to test the horizontal and vertical positioning of the beam spot. So fired it up and I found I got movement of the beam in both directions but it was quite limited from one spot that is off centred south east to past the edge of the tube. I swapped the leads around and I got more movement in the opposite directions. Here below is a video showing the limited movement of the beam.
vid0.avi
(881.45 KiB) Downloaded 583 times

So discussing the issue with Harry, he suggested I adjust the bias trimpots so I have -2.4V at the collectors of TR403 and TR503 and also adjust the 1.8k resistors to see if there's improvement. So adjusting the trimpots to get -2.4V didn't move the spot but after temporarily adding a pot in series to the 1.8k resistor on the H/V centre adjustment side, I found 3.3k total resistance allowed for the spot to be moved to near the edges of the tube in both directions. So I added 1.5k resistors in series with the 1.8ks on the H/V centering side of the schematic and as seen in the video below I can move the spot to near the edges of the tube :) .
vid1.avi
(2.42 MiB) Downloaded 590 times

Now it's time to build the sawtooth generator circuit. Just like the deflection board, I used a piece of high quality US imported experimenters board, made the circuitry as tight and compact as possible and on schematic traced my steps in construction and double checked to make sure it was all correctly wired.
47a.gif
47a.gif (15.34 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

47.jpg
47.jpg (191.21 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

Before testing it with the CRT I just connected the sawtooth board to the +/-12V circuit and fired it up and tested the outputs on my CRO to see if I get sawtooths and I got nice looking sawtooth waveforms as seen.
49.jpg
49.jpg (82.68 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

50.jpg
50.jpg (73.24 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

So the circuit works! :) Now it's time to hook the outputs up to the H/V width pots and fire up the monitor. So did that and fired up the monitor and voila I have a NBTV raster! :)
vid2.avi
(2.94 MiB) Downloaded 635 times

51.jpg
51.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

52.jpg
52.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

53.jpg
53.jpg (113.76 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

So that's where I am currently up to with my monitor and I am really pleased with my progress and owe much of the credit to Harry and Steve for helping me along the way. Only got 3 more circuits to build and my monitor will be a NBTV monitor working like Harry's! :) Whilst I want to make this monitor multi-standard I have decided make it a primary goal to get it working as a 32 line NBTV monitor like Harry's and once achieving that then move onto venturing into making it multi-standard to display 625 line video and other NBTV standards.

I have made vlogs of my progress for YouTube too, I will get them uploaded to YouTube within the next day or two and post the links.
aussie_bloke

Postby aussie_bloke » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:49 am

aussie_bloke

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:07 pm

Troy doing very well with the build ,i can see you will have a picture on your monitor in a few weeks or less .
A great example of reusing what ever you have to repurpose and make something out of what would be scrape ,you need some critical parts but to save money there is nothing like using something for nothing ....
I also like seeing the You tube videos very helpful for others interested in making a monitor ...its all great saying here's my working NBTV monitor but does not help any one else but with your build videos and the forum there's a lot of help there my hats off to you :!:
Another Anderson monitor is born .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby AncientBrit » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi Troy,

I second Harry's observations.
Great work and the videos are very good at demonstrating kit in action.
These construction posts (yours and others here) make good reading and keep the forum alive.
Must be time consuming though to spend time making the videos!

Keep re-purposing.

Kind regards,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby aussie_bloke » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:42 am

G'day all.

I've been working hard on completing my NBTV 3BP1 monitor and it is now working and displaying very nice pictures!!! :D Before I get to the monitor in operation part I will fill you's in on the final construction stages.

So picking up where I left off, I have a raster displayed and I have three more circuits to build which are the video input processor board, the opto video driver board and the frame board, correct me if I'm wrong on the titles of those three circuits. So I constructed those circuits on one single circuit board and as I decided to lay the board flat, I had no room for the sawtooth generator board so I decided to attach the sawtooth board vertically to the board of three circuits.

circuits.jpg
circuits.jpg (290.11 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

54.jpg
54.jpg (177.74 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

55.jpg
55.jpg (130.34 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

56.jpg
56.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

Now it is time to wire it up and test. I connected my laptop audio output to the input of the monitor's video in and played some audio for testers to see if I get a display of some sort and success I see a visual representation of the audio which is a good start! :)

vid3.avi
(3.02 MiB) Downloaded 562 times

Now it's time to get some NBTV video files together and play it on the monitor. At first I was getting unrecognizable garble regardless of switching the switch to positive or negative so was concerned but then I realized I had the 22uf cap at the video in the wrong polarity so flipped it over and that solved the problem! :) I now have pictures woohoo!!! :D

vid4.avi
(5.1 MiB) Downloaded 570 times

Now that it is working it is time to mount the circuit board inside the enclosure, and the pots, switch and video input socket to the front panel.

57.jpg
57.jpg (129.64 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

58.jpg
58.jpg (125.53 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

59.jpg
59.jpg (131.7 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

60.jpg
60.jpg (132.67 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

61.jpg
61.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

The monitor is now electronically assembled. Fired it up again and all is working well! :)

vid5.avi
(4.79 MiB) Downloaded 634 times

I noticed the pictures looked very dark on the low lights, so I adjusted the black level to bring up the lowlights so I have nicer greyscales and now the pictures look awesome! :)

62.jpg
62.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

63.jpg
63.jpg (85.56 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

64.jpg
64.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

65.jpg
65.jpg (64.99 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

66.jpg
66.jpg (51.69 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

One thing I realized with Gary's Video2NBTV program I can live convert webcam to NBTV so I plugged a webcam into my laptop and here I am on display in glorious 32 lines! :)

vid6.avi
(6.27 MiB) Downloaded 646 times

67.jpg
67.jpg (60.26 KiB) Viewed 13506 times

So my monitor is now complete and fully functional and displaying lovely pictures! :D The only thing left to do is to give the monitor is to secure the tube and add a cosmetic touch which I will add a presentable front panel covering to give it a nice neat production line look! :) And later on down the track I intend to make the monitor multi-standard as originally intended but for now it's good as a NBTV monitor.

A big thank you to Harry for all your help you provided me and Steve for helping Harry build his and everyone else who contributed, this project was fun to build and see come to life and I will have so much fun with it!!! :)

I will soon be adding more vlogs to YouTube so stay tuned for those.
aussie_bloke

Re: Building 3BP1 tube NBTV Anderson monitor II

Postby aussie_bloke » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:54 am

I have decided to rename my thread to "Building 3BP1 tube NBTV Anderson Monitor II" as it is now pretty much a replica of Harry's 3BP1 Anderson Monitor build.
aussie_bloke

PreviousNext

Return to Building 3BP1 tube NBTV Anderson monitor II