3D Printed Bezel

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll

3D Printed Bezel

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:10 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
I create the shapes in a programming language/tool called OpenSCAD. It uses what's called "constructive solid geometry". Very simple. Units are millimeters and degrees, and you just describe the shapes you want to add together, move around, or subtract from each other. You can, for example, subtract a small sphere from a larger cube and you end up with a cube with a spherical hole in it. You can shift shapes around before/after subtraction or addition. It's as simple as this...


OH i think i would find it hard Andrew not looking into this stuff for a while i played around a bit with 3d models years ago late 90s with simple 3d animation having to make my own 3d models from shapes come to think about it it was on a 486 and i could not render them to natural looking as it took to long just to render a frame .
I didn't have to think to hard about it was more adding shapes and resizing them or making shapes from points and joining the lines like a paint drawing program .


With the result...

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 11.20.09 PM.png


Or, I could subtract the sphere from the cube...

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 11.21.36 PM.png


Well i can see you got the hang of it 3d printers are the way to go ,i like the idea of them .

There are a number of operators in the language, and a variety of shapes. You can draw a shape and then "extrude" it to form a warped 3D version of the shape travelling through space, creating an object as it goes. Very powerful and easy to use. Here's the language cheat sheet.


i think a bit of trial and error to learn it what a great tool to make what ever shape in 3d you can think of ,i know your limited to the size of your printer but not every thing has to be big and i suppose you could make half a shape for one side then the other .


As to the materials, it's a plastic filament that looks like grass-cutter/snipper line. Usually materials called ABS or PLA. They have different characteristics (flexibility, brittleness, warping) and require different settings/skills to print.


Oh i see interesting i suppose you could make the shape for this and use it for a casting for metal object if need be ...


If you would like, I can send you something - a copy of this opto switch assembly, maybe? So you can check out how it looks in the flesh.

[/quote]

I think if possible the SSTV bezel as you mentioned would be something i didn't think of !.... looking a Klaas's monitor that would be great for the filter idea .Looking at KLass's sstv i think mine would be close to he's have to measure up/// Thanks Andrew it fine if you can't ...the bezel idea is on my mind now but ... :idea:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Andrew Davie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:20 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Thanks Andrew it fine if you can't ...the bezel idea is on my mind now but ... :idea:


Let's make it happen!
User avatar
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:01 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:Thanks Andrew it fine if you can't ...the bezel idea is on my mind now but ... :idea:


Let's make it happen!


Well Andrew i will measure up but i am interested to know what size Klass's one is as i think picture tubes would be same size so it would be good to find out ...i am using a rather large fan housing which this screen bezel could be bolted to ..i am going to look for some clear glass i want the plastic filter behind the glass i think .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:15 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:
Andrew Davie wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:Thanks Andrew it fine if you can't ...the bezel idea is on my mind now but ... :idea:


Let's make it happen!


Well Andrew i will measure up but i am interested to know what size Klass's one is as i think picture tubes would be same size so it would be good to find out ...i am using a rather large fan housing which this screen bezel could be bolted to ..i am going to look for some clear glass i want the plastic filter behind the glass i think .



OpenSCAD can be a "parametric" language. Rather than saying the bezel is 5cm by 7 cm, we just say Xcm by Ycm, and allow X and Y to be variables that can be changed and everything reorganises around those. In other words, it's the look of the design that's important rather than the actual exact physical measurements at this stage. A rough sketch showing the features you want (a square, and inside a square viewing hole with rounded corners)... with screw holes at the 4 corners. Something like that. I'll knock up a parametric version and show you how to modify it to your exact requirements. That's how I'd do it.
User avatar
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:OpenSCAD can be a "parametric" language. Rather than saying the bezel is 5cm by 7 cm, we just say Xcm by Ycm, and allow X and Y to be variables that can be changed and everything reorganises around those. In other words, it's the look of the design that's important rather than the actual exact physical measurements at this stage. A rough sketch showing the features you want (a square, and inside a square viewing hole with rounded corners)... with screw holes at the 4 corners. Something like that. I'll knock up a parametric version and show you how to modify it to your exact requirements. That's how I'd do it.


OH i see Andrew a ruff design and then it becomes serious...Well my idea would be something like Klass's with that viewing port..... behind the port i would like to glue small see through glass square and behind that the plastic yellowish filter ...depends if i can find that glass may be from a small picture frame ...but thats not needed in the viewing port build as that comes later ///Hope it isn't to hard to work out !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Klaas Robers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:51 am

Interesting. My son learnt me how to make Open Scad files based on parameters. And I see that I did this too for the SSTV bezel. I will try to insert a picture:

BezelSSTV.GIF
SSTV bezel
BezelSSTV.GIF (7.09 KiB) Viewed 3958 times

And look here: these are the parameters.

// Parameters
Dikte = 2.5;
rBuis = 53.5;
Breedte = 67;
Afronding = 8;
Gat = 4;
Gatafstand = 55;
Gatmarge = 0.1;
Ronding = 10;
rRonding = rBuis - Ronding;
Rondingafstand = rRonding / sqrt(2);
Scherm = Rondingafstand + Ronding;
Rand = 3;
Hoogte = 28.5;
Tilt = 8;

Yes, they are in Dutch, but you can read that, I can also read English, isn't it? These things are reversible, aren't they? All is in mm. Inches are out. The diameter of the visible area, corner to corner, is 105 mm in my monitor. I think Harry, yours is slightly less. But with the parameters this is easilly adjusted.

Andrew, do you want to have the text file?
User avatar
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Valkenswaard, the Netherlands

Re: IR sensor

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:05 pm

That looks good Klass around this size might be possible to print fingers crossed...pity on size you could print out a case for a project that would be handy !
Thickness = 2.5;rBuis = 53.5;Width = 67;Rounding = 8;Hole = 4;Hole spacing = 55;Gatmarge = 0.1;Roundness = 10;rRonding = rBuis - Rounding;Roundness = Distance rRonding / sqrt (2);Screen = Distance + Rounding Rounding;Border = 3;Height = 28.5;Tilt = 8;
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:47 am

I see, you understand Dutch..... Well done.

Let's see what size bezel Hayy needs. It looks to be useless to print it here, at the other side of the globe.
User avatar
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Valkenswaard, the Netherlands

Re: IR sensor

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:02 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:I see, you understand Dutch..... Well done.


My mother inlaw was Dutch till my father inlaw wanted he's 4th wife ! :shock:

I did cheat Klass on Google translate ~! :mrgreen:

Let's see what size bezel Hayy needs. It looks to be useless to print it here, at the other side of the globe.


I think it could just be flat or could fit all around the Fan casing i am using ,i will wait and see what Andrew can do when he has time .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:
Klaas Robers wrote:I see, you understand Dutch..... Well done.


My mother inlaw was Dutch till my father inlaw wanted he's 4th wife ! :shock:

I did cheat Klass on Google translate ~! :mrgreen:

Let's see what size bezel Hayy needs. It looks to be useless to print it here, at the other side of the globe.


I think it could just be flat or could fit all around the Fan casing i am using ,i will wait and see what Andrew can do when he has time .


Just about anything you can think of, I can make :)
We will go through several iterations, just let me know when you are ready for a prototype and I'll put aside some time.
User avatar
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Klaas Robers » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:16 am

My bezel is flat at the picture tube side. If you want to keep the fan housing, Andrew can print a wall around it. Any way the position of the screw holes should fit to your fan housing.
User avatar
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Valkenswaard, the Netherlands

Re: IR sensor

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:My bezel is flat at the picture tube side. If you want to keep the fan housing, Andrew can print a wall around it. Any way the position of the screw holes should fit to your fan housing.


i was thinking at first a flat face plate and just with the 4 holes to bolt it to the fan housing with the large square hole for the viewing port thats pretty simple. i should open another topic on the monitor build taking over Andrews page here .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:
Klaas Robers wrote:My bezel is flat at the picture tube side. If you want to keep the fan housing, Andrew can print a wall around it. Any way the position of the screw holes should fit to your fan housing.


i was thinking at first a flat face plate and just with the 4 holes to bolt it to the fan housing with the large square hole for the viewing port thats pretty simple. i should open another topic on the monitor build taking over Andrews page here .



I can move the posts into a thread specific to the bezel. I'll do that soon.
Don't create a new topic; let me do it the above way.
User avatar
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:42 pm
Location: Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Re: IR sensor

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:I can move the posts into a thread specific to the bezel. I'll do that soon.
Don't create a new topic; let me do it the above way.


OK Andrew no worries
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: 3D Printed Bezel

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks Andrew just noticed you swapped the posts over .
I can see on your posts theres some 3D printing going on !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 4174
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia


Return to Harry Dalek's 5AHP7A Vintage SSTV The Deep image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron