Mindsets/MUTR Televisor Color Conversion Help

Information about colour/color mechanical TV systems and constructoin.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Mindsets/MUTR Televisor Color Conversion Help

Postby drybones99 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:38 am

I have recently purchased a MUTR televisor, and used the program "Video2NBTV" to send videos from my computer to the televisor. Now, I want to convert it to color, and it seems that the program can send color signals. Does anybody here know how to convert one of these televisors to color? I looked at this project:

"http://www.labguysworld.com/NBTV_32LineColor_001.htm"

However, lacking sufficient technical and electronics knowledge, I found it too confusing. It is designed for the Aurora World Converter, which is out of my budget. Is there any way I can make a similar color conversion for use with Video2NBTV instead of this Aurora World Converter? Would this conversion work? A more noob-friendly explanation would be much appreciated, since I have very limited knowledge of how to make custom electronics or boards.
drybones99
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Mindsets/MUTR Televisor Color Conversion Help

Postby gary » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:22 am

There is only one colour format available from Video2NBTV that doesn't require some kind of electronic decoding system and that is the two colour system GHGM2C
This uses Orange on the left channel , Blue-Green on the right. It produces video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uHKhb_PjIs

The next easiest method is frame sequential which uses 3 colours RGB output in successive frames, eg frame 1 = Red, frame 2 = Green, frame 3 = blue.
Obviously this requires some kind of electronics to select which led to send the signal to for each successive frame.
An example of how that looks is shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0s1tOJqVY
gary

Postby drybones99 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:48 am

Do you know if Labguy's process will work for three-color using video2nbtv instead of the world converter? If not, then do you know how I could create such a set-up?
drybones99

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:53 pm

i think you would needed to make a camera with a 3 section colour wheel to make the signal ....
i have never tried colour but if and when i do i would try Garys....if you want 3 colour you will have to experiment ...theres also Doms NBSC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYVLoKQp0MQ
Best to go simple.
Troy on the forum has experimented with simple colour idea ....colour wheel on a fan motor with colour filters infront of the B/w camera and monitor .....so red a colour wheel on the same motor red filter infront of the monitor and camera as it rotates blue then green ....
https://www.youtube.com/user/troysvisua ... lour+wheel
Could use another monitor as a flying spot camera slide colour wheel solar cell headamp idea to make the signal ...
have to work out how far your want to go
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby drybones99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 am

I'd like to start with the two-color process, and then work from there. I have no interest in making a camera, and would prefer to use programs like video2nbtv. Does anybody know how I could modify the television to display two-color images? Also, I'd still like to know if Labguy's color process would work with a computer program instead of a world converter.
drybones99

Postby gary » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:41 am

drybones99 wrote:Do you know if Labguy's process will work for three-color using video2nbtv instead of the world converter? If not, then do you know how I could create such a set-up?

There is indeed such a format, however it requires you to have a sound card/device that supports Dolby 5.1 minimum. In this case the video signal is distributed thusly:

Speaker:
Front Left = Red
Front Right = sound
Back Left = Green
Back Right = Blue

This is then more or less the same as Labguy's process.

HOWEVER! To my knowledge no one has attempted to implement a system using this format (I have verified that the video comes out on the correct outputs at least). You could be the first!

The above format was a variation on the B&W compatible version of:
Speaker:
Front Left = Y
Front Right = sound
Back Left = Y-Red
Back Right = Y-Blue
gary

Postby drybones99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:50 pm

My computer certainly supports Dobly 5.1, but how would I get the audio to go from the HDMI port to the Televisor? Would I need to make a sound card for it? Also, are you saying that if I were to build exactly what Labguy built, I would be able to get it to work with my computer?
drybones99

Postby gary » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:50 pm

drybones99 wrote:My computer certainly supports Dobly 5.1, but how would I get the audio to go from the HDMI port to the Televisor? Would I need to make a sound card for it?

No, you need a sound card or sound device (when I refer to a sound card I mean a stand alone unit that plugs into the PCs bus (usually PCI). when I refer to a sound device this is the unit that is part of your PCs motherboard, or a device that plugs into one of your input/output ports - this is usually a USB device), that has several analogue output ports (these are usually 3.5mm jacks).

Most modern PCs have these on the mother board these days.

drybones99 wrote:Also, are you saying that if I were to build exactly what Labguy built, I would be able to get it to work with my computer?

I am not saying anything for sure as I have no way of knowing anything about the aurora or LabGuy's circuit (levels etc), but my best guess is, looking at his circuit, that yes it should work the same way.

drybones99, there is little in this hobby that is certain, virtually every thing has to be considered experimental, and you often don't know if something is going to work until you build and test it - there is many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip. You won't find much here in the way of plug and play.
gary

Postby drybones99 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:12 pm

I think information on the voltages of the custom board and of the Aurora World Converter may be here:

http://www.labguysworld.com/NBTV_32LineColor_001.htm
http://www.labguysworld.com/NBTV_32LineColor_002.htm

And here:

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/WC01_specs.html

Anyway, I will now, with some assistance, try to replicate the process created by Labguy, and attempt to get it to work in full color with sound with Video2nbtv.
drybones99

Postby grahamhunt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Withe reference to Garys post on two colour nbtv I did a lot of experiments and whilst not perfect
would require only one video amp to drive the blue green channel with the red led replaced with orange The biggest drawback is of course no sound and of course some colours not displaying correctly Graham
grahamhunt
Master Craftsman

Postby drybones99 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:16 pm

I did some experimenting with NBSC Player and found that the color signals created by video2nbtv can be played back in color using the Klaas/Vic CCNC (NBTV-CCNC) format. Does anybody here suppose that it would be possible to modify my televisor in such a way so as to receive and properly play back Klaas/Vic CCNC-formated signals? I recently purchased a tricolor LED. What kind of modifications would I have to make to my televisor? It appears that the color signal can be sent over a standard 3.5mm headphone cable, provided I have the right electronics in the televisor to decode the signal.
drybones99

Postby Klaas Robers » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:16 am

The CCNC format requires that you have a CD/DVD player with a digital audio output, next to the normal analogue output. Some tricks are done with the bits of the CD-channel to store the colour, so you need the bits. As soon as the signal is D/A converted the colour information is gone and you have left a black and white NBTV video signal. That is the compatibil B&W signal. So the colour information can only be retrieved from the digital audio stream. This digital audio output normally comes from a cinch connector on the player, or an optical output (plastic fiber). In that last case you will need an optical to electrical convertor (some special form of a photo diode).

Normally you keep the analogue connection between the player and the monitor. This is needed for motor synchronisation. The RGB video is calculated from the lower bits in the digital video channel. The decoder then generates 3 analogue video signals (3 D to A converters) to drive the R, G and B LEDs. The decoder recognises when the colour-bits are corrupted and switches over to black and white, that is the same signal for R, G and B.

The advantage is that synchronisation and sound are not affected and can be handled as normal. I hope this helps.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Colour Mechanical TV