SSTV transmitting and receiving device

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

SSTV transmitting and receiving device

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:33 pm

Link to this sstv converter
https://www.wraase.de/sc1.html
Attachments
sc1patbild.jpg
sc1schema.pdf
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: SSTV transmitting and receiving device

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:19 pm

Good find Harry. Interesting to note somewhere in the attachments a figure of 'just' $1295 is mentioned. Assuming this was 1975 (about right for such a device), today that would be US$8,525.00. I wonder how many were sold?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:59 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Good find Harry. Interesting to note somewhere in the attachments a figure of 'just' $1295 is mentioned. Assuming this was 1975 (about right for such a device), today that would be US$8,525.00. I wonder how many were sold?

Steve A.

Boy you would really have to like your hobby at that price ,looks well made . Parts wise those would be rare these days but updated circuits would bring all that down /
But a beautiful thing is this converter indeed !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:22 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Parts wise those would be rare these days but updated circuits would bring all that down !

It's probably all discrete TTL logic plus some antique analogue, (no micros, therefore no software). The memory maybe dynamic, but usually a reasonably easy conversion (and simplification?) to static. It could be possible to update the design yet keep all those switches, knobs and flashing lights! Who doesn'l like flashing lights?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:It's probably all discrete TTL logic plus some antique analogue, (no micros, therefore no software). The memory maybe dynamic, but usually a reasonably easy conversion (and simplification?) to static. It could be possible to update the design yet keep all those switches, knobs and flashing lights! Who doesn'l like flashing lights?

Steve A.

Switches knobs and blinking lights that the fun of casing ! but be very hard to equal the look of that one !
Yes i was thinking all those parts are pretty rare these days ,you can see like that one it still exists at the price it cost every one would ! :shock:
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:..I was thinking all those parts are pretty rare these days..

In many cases not so, basic TTL chips can still be bought or substituted with a similar and probably faster parts, though that wouldn't make much difference here. 7400->7LS400->74HCT00->74HC00...and so on... Analogue parts (op-amps, comparitors, etc.) likewise....unless you really want to replicate the original...I don't see any point in that myself. Take the principal, maybe, and bring it up to date.

Why use an EF80/6BX6 in a CRT deflection amplifier when a silicon MPSA42 (or the like) can do the same job?...without a heater supply...admittedly the tube/valve may have a wider bandwidth, but is it needed for NBTV/SSTV? Probably not. But those glowing heaters do have a certain charm of their own...Back To The Future - 1956 Here I come!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:01 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:..I was thinking all those parts are pretty rare these days..

In many cases not so, basic TTL chips can still be bought or substituted with a similar and probably faster parts, though that wouldn't make much difference here. 7400->7LS400->74HCT00->74HC00...and so on... Analogue parts (op-amps, comparitors, etc.) likewise....unless you really want to replicate the original...I don't see any point in that myself. Take the principal, maybe, and bring it up to date.

Why use an EF80/6BX6 in a CRT deflection amplifier when a silicon MPSA42 (or the like) can do the same job?...without a heater supply...admittedly the tube/valve may have a wider bandwidth, but is it needed for NBTV/SSTV? Probably not. But those glowing heaters do have a certain charm of their own...Back To The Future - 1956 Here I come!

Steve A.

It wouldn't cross my mind to try and remake something like this i know my limitations and as i saw with some of your ideas on SSTV you could do it with a few parts these days .
Yes we have it a bit easier these days not having to use valves unless its for a project as i found out they are power hungry things :roll: just made for a cold country you get the added benefit of not so free extra heating and lighting ,not so good heating a room in summer !
But i do like those little heaters lighting up :wink:
Harry Dalek

Return to SSTV