Robot 70A Manual

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Robot 70A Manual

Postby nomisimon » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:45 am

Hello

I wondered if anyone had a scanned copy of the manual for the Robot 70A SSTV monitor; there isn't one on-line I can find.

I did save a copy of the diagrams posted by Steve but wondered if anyone had a full manual?

Thanks

Simon, M5POO, England
Thank God for Southby...
nomisimon
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Robot 70A Manual

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:03 pm

nomisimon wrote:Hello

I wondered if anyone had a scanned copy of the manual for the Robot 70A SSTV monitor; there isn't one on-line I can find.

I did save a copy of the diagrams posted by Steve but wondered if anyone had a full manual?

Thanks

Simon, M5POO, England

Little bit of information on these 2 pages link below

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2832
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby kd2bd » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:27 am

Here's a Robot 70 manual. I think the 70A added a tuning indicator (sync-driven flashing LED).

73 de John, KD2BD
Attachments
Robot_70_Manual.pdf
Robot Model 70 SSTV Monitor
(20.33 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
kd2bd
Mad Scientist

Postby nomisimon » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:19 am

Thanks Harry...I've saved a copy of those. I came across them earlier when searching.

Thanks John, that's a great help. Mine is the 'A' variant, which has the 'TUNING' LED and uses 709 op-amps...but they are essentially the same otherwise I think.

By the way, we did correspond some time ago about your TriplePIC converter. I've had some health issues since 2019 which have hopefully been resolved now, but earlier this year I managed to get the PIC chips for your converter and most of the other hard to find stuff. Did you ever do a PCB layout for it or will I use good old veroboard? I saw a note on someone's post that they were looking to make a PCB...did anything come of it?

I have one of the Wrasse scan converters to play with now too.

One day I will find the model 80A SSTV camera to go with my 70A monitor.

Best wishes

Simon M5POO
Thank God for Southby...
nomisimon
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby kd2bd » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:11 am

Hi Simon.

I am glad to hear you are feeling better.

In general, the 741 is an improvement over the 709. However, the 709 has a higher slew-rate so it is a better choice for the input stage limiter. Today, there are much better op-amps to choose from.

Last year, Chris Lewis of the NBTV Association built a copy of my TriplePIC scan converter and was ambitious enough to create a PC board for the video memory / FSTV end of the converter. Details of his build are available here: https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3063. During that time, I developed different firmware for the PIC16F76 to enable the scan converter to produce PAL or SECAM-compatible FSTV video.

I also started working on an improved SSTV sync detection circuit around that time, but other (life) priorities soon got in the way, so I never completed the work. Some day I will get back to it. (Sometimes it is beneficial to take a break from a project for a while, and then get back to it some time later with a fresh mind.) :)

73 de John, KD2BD
kd2bd
Mad Scientist

Return to SSTV