A&A Enineering Viewport VGA

Forum for discussion of SSTV topics. Slow Scan television (SSTV) is a picture transmission method used mainly by amateur radio operators, to transmit and receive static pictures via radio in monochrome or colour.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

A&A Enineering Viewport VGA

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:07 pm

Looking at the data i must of got this around 1993 never thought about the fax add on by Member Ralph Taggart as i had no easy way to get the QST feb 1993 mag well 31 years later it is but a google search away ..its in the PDF below not looked at it in full but its there in the Feb section also a nice bit in the jan issue also in that pdf could be more have a read later .
QST 1993.pdf
(26.05 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Attachments
scan.jpg
scan_20240224065406.jpg
scan_20240224065338.jpg
scan_20240224065815.jpg
scan_20240224065532.jpg
scan_20240224065447.jpg
scan_20240224065603.jpg
scan_20240224065647.jpg
scan_20240224065725.jpg
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: A&A Enineering Viewport VGA

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:22 pm

Hmm, not what I was hoping for. It requires a PC LPT port and some custom software. Little chance of finding either these days. Oh well...

The name is really a misnomer, it should really be LPT to SSTV. You can still get plug-in boards for desktops to add a LPT port, so I'd be OK, and/or a USB to LPT device, but are they truly compatable? Some omit either connector pins and/or functionality that this device may require. I'm not going to find out!

The custom software probably is going to be the sticking point. It may not run on modern machines (it may require DOS, DOSbox maybe?) and/or is impossible to obtain.

I'll keep the scans, but as a viable project, in the trash. But thanks for the find and the effort Harry...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby BruXy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:11 am

> It requires a PC LPT port and some custom software. Little chance of finding either these days. Oh well...

There was one software with GUI called "highscan": https://www.qsl.net/oz2lw/hidownl.htm

This one I did not find (however, I may have it on some old CD-ROM backup)...

However, what I found is VPTSR.EXE:

Code: Select all
VPTSR is a Terminate and Stay Resident program that allows you to use JVFAX
software with your ViewPort VGA interface. I have had this version on
the air for a few nights and I must say that I have received some of the best
pictures that I have ever seen on SSTV. I hope you will enjoy dusting off your
ViewPort Interface and putting it back on the air using the JVFAX software!

Let me know, if you need JVFAX too, but you can find it here: ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/fax_sstv/jvfax71.zip (also vptsr.zip).

I have got Viewport VGA without any documentation like 15 years ago, but never tested it, good luck.
Attachments
vptsr.zip
(10.75 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
BruXy
Laboratory Assistant

Postby BruXy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:17 am

Found on ftp.funet.fi my main source of ham software in 1996 :)

Here screenshot, from old days:
!hiscan.jpg
!hiscan.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 185 times

Archive:

hiscn702.zip
(213.5 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

HiScan 64K/32k Versions.

Hello OM,

HiScan is programmed in Borland Pascal 7.0 and Assembler, and has
gone through many changes thanks to feedback from the SSTV fraternity.

Modes of operation : Martin M1
                          Scotty S1
                          Scotty S2
                          Wraase WR180
                          Scotty DX

So far these are the only modes we have found interesting to deal
with, but more may show up.

The number of colours depends on graphics adapter and are the same
in both Transmit and Receive mode.
VESA is supported provided you load the proper driver.

The picture format is TARGA, due to its ease of handling.
The format is 320 by 240 pixels, each composed of 24 bits
(plus 16 lines of grayscale on top of each transmitted frame).

73 de OZ2LW@OZ8PAC.aar.jyl.dnk.eu Leif

I was not successful in executing this in Dosbox (got "Graphics error (246)", WTF Borland? :twisted: ), just default settings. I also have some retro-pcs with good old original Centronics LPT, but I left my Viewport VGA back in the Czech Republic (now in Nova Scotia), this post brings it back to my memory, and I am also curious to test it, so hopefully in the near future (pitty was visiting two weeks ago).
BruXy
Laboratory Assistant

Postby BruXy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:21 am

That article from QST is here:

https://bruxy.regnet.cz/hamradio/SSTV_Library/Magazine_Articles/QST_1993_February_-_Ralph_E._Taggart_WB8DQT_A_New_Standard_for_Amateur_Radio_Analog_Facsimile.pdf

From page 82, there is more info, but few more details:

https://batc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/ ... lained.pdf

And the last to mention, another big article with schematics (but a bit low resolution):

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archi ... t-1992.pdf

Ok, so this is all, I can tell, if somebody asks me about ViewPort VGA :D
BruXy
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:00 pm

Thanks BruXy ! brings back a lot of memories its a project i forgot all about what it could do ,it was a long time ago now.
I don't remember if it came with software i must of got something ,i do know when i was using SSTV i was mainly using JVfax...would of been on a floppy disk if any thing back in those days
Not seen the articles you posted before and i think as you say pretty much every on Viewpoint VGA up here now !
Yep as i recall a printer port plug connection i suppose not used any more i still have a lap top or 2 with them no USB/s back then
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:00 pm

Thanks BruXy ! brings back a lot of memories its a project i forgot all about what it could do ,it was a long time ago now.
I don't remember if it came with software i must of got something ,i do know when i was using SSTV i was mainly using JVfax...would of been on a floppy disk if any thing back in those days
Not seen the articles you posted before and i think as you say pretty much every on Viewpoint VGA up here now !
Yep as i recall a printer port plug connection i suppose not used any more i still have a lap top or 2 with them no USB/s back then
Harry Dalek

Return to SSTV