SSTV-625 up-converter MkII

Where it all started as far as most are concerned and saw heavy use from the 60s through to the 80s. Colour and Hi-res modes have unfortunately pushed this system into the backwaters of SSTV. Time to resurrect interest in this simple analogue system.

Re: SSTV-625 up-converter MkII

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon May 01, 2017 3:20 am

I think they are, however in an enclosure for Surface Mounting Devices (SMD). This implies a different PCB lay-out. And not everybody is happy to solder these on the PCB.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Not only the issue of SMD packaging, but the prices seem too cheap. At least one of those sellers appears Chinese, one wonders about the quality. I would prefer spending a bit more knowing they came from a trusted source.

A lot of chips are made in China, also Indonesia, the Philippines and here in Thailand are branded by the 'Big Names', Philips, National Semiconductor and so on. The difference is the quality control of the whole manufacturing process, materials and electrical testing. I have more confidence if they're branded by these 'Big Names.'

I don't mind SOIC SMDs where the pin spacing is half that of a familiar DIP package, but when the pin spacing becomes 0.65mm and the actual pin width is then half that - forget it!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Not only the issue of SMD packaging, but the prices seem too cheap. At least one of those sellers appears Chinese, one wonders about the quality. I would prefer spending a bit more knowing they came from a trusted source.

The prices are quite amazing from AliExpress and one wonders how they make a profit - just the time to pack and ship seems hardly worth their while. I bought some Arduino Micro micro-controllers for my televisor project - and what costs upwards of AUS$40 each here in Oz, cost me just AUS$5 on AliExpress inclusive of shipping. And although I can't vouch for quality - they seem to be working perfectly as plug-in replacements in my televisor as it stands now. At such prices I'm prepared to "suck it and see" and if I get the occasional bit of rubbish I don't really mind.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Regarding SMD chips, you can get adapters that convert the SMD device into an almost DIP configuration, but some can end up being wider that the DIP/DIL equivalent. They still need soldering though!

Steve A.
Attachments
SOIC_20.jpg
SOIC_20.jpg (39.28 KiB) Viewed 7661 times
Steve Anderson

SSTV-625 up-converter MkII

Postby acl » Mon May 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Those headers seem a good idea as all you will wreck is the header and not the main board. I think our members will not be put off by SMD devices as these are already used on the colour converter board which is quite tricky to fit.

With regards to stuff from China I tend to support the original OEM as I know profit from the sale is used to fund new developments

Regards Chris Lewis
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 01, 2017 8:05 pm

I omitted to mention, many of those SMD adapters are dual-sided, say a SOIC pad layout on one side and a SOP (as above) on the other.

A rather extreme example follows...a 144 pin TQFP. Note in both examples the provision for supply decoupling capacitors.

Steve A.
Attachments
TQFP_144.jpg
TQFP_144.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 7657 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu May 04, 2017 5:21 pm

I've created a new thread for the MkIII version, but until I'm sure my ideas for it are valid I'll leave this thread open.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Previous

Return to Cop McDonald's FM SSTV System