SSTV-625 up-converter MkII

Where it all started as far as most are concerned and saw heavy use from the 60s through to the 80s. Colour and Hi-res modes have unfortunately pushed this system into the backwaters of SSTV. Time to resurrect interest in this simple analogue system.

SSTV-625 up-converter MkII

Postby acl » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Steve,

Lets get your prototype running and we will see what interest is shown in the group to whether it is feasible to proceed down the PCB route. Its worth getting a rough quotation for laying out a board of that complexity. I did have a look on the net for design houses in China with capabilities to do this work. Unfortunately as I retired a couple of years ago although I still work for my previous company on a consultant type basis and lost my contacts with the PCB production houses.

Regards Chris Lewis
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Re: SSTV-625 up-converter MkII

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 pm

I have a contact who uses a China-based company for his PCB work, I'll get in contact with him and see what's what. Knowing him, very canny, it'll be well researched, reliable and at a decent cost. I use one here simply because it's local and I can visit them if need be - but they're not cheap, the client pays, I don't care.

Steve A.

E-mail sent, I'll await his reply.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:42 pm

...a rapid reply. For a quantity of 10 boards up to 10cm square, solder resist, double-sided with vias and silk screening, around 15US$ each - plus shipping. If the order is over 90US$ shipping is free. BUT I have to send them the Gerber files which means either I do the PCB layout or get someone else to do it at a cost.

Now, I don't mind in some perverse way doing the PCB layout but it requires me learning a new piece of software. I know of Eagle and FreePCB, both of which I had a play around with in years past but it seems to be quite a steep learning curve. Perhaps I should re-visit them. There are bound to be others. Recommendations?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:54 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:...a rapid reply. For a quantity of 10 boards up to 10cm square, solder resist, double-sided with vias and silk screening, around 15US$ each - plus shipping. If the order is over 90US$ shipping is free. BUT I have to send them the Gerber files which means either I do the PCB layout or get someone else to do it at a cost.

Now, I don't mind in some perverse way doing the PCB layout but it requires me learning a new piece of software. I know of Eagle and FreePCB, both of which I had a play around with in years past but it seems to be quite a steep learning curve. Perhaps I should re-visit them. There are bound to be others. Recommendations?

Steve A.

As it happens, and purely coincidentally, I downloaded and installed Eagle today and have been playing with it, with intention to learn how to use.
It looks quite good. I'm planning to put a simple schematic of my contraption up, so I'm learning that part first.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:...But I feel a MkIII version may be on the horizon...

Yep, a folder for the MkIII version created on this PC and a schematic for it already done. It deletes the two 74AC08s and adds one T092 FET, a 2N7000. Though that might turn out to be another BC547B...we'll see...

Andrew Davie wrote:As it happens, and purely coincidentally, I downloaded and installed Eagle today...

Interesting, Eagle is now an Autodesk product and I have been using their AutoCad since the early 80s. So was hoping that there would be a lot of similarity between the two products, but it appears not. It's still a steep learning curve. Ho hum...

One thing is for sure, it will work!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:45 pm

Next item to do is a case/enclosure for this. So a front panel layout is required, here's what I'll go with...

The Gamma controls will not be operational at first, that's down the road a way. But I've put them on for the future. A number of controls may not be required by others (e.g. the NBTV/SSTV switch), so they can simply be omitted.

Steve A.
Attachments
SSTV-625 MkII Front Panel 1.gif
SSTV-625 MkII Front Panel 1.gif (23.52 KiB) Viewed 14373 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:53 pm

Next problem, since 'upgrading' to Windoze 10 the programmer for the PICs refuses to work. It's the usual USB driver problem which usually I can fix myself - but not so far.

*Sounds of hair being pulled out*

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Well, the more I look at it the more I feel inclined to mothball the MkII and move on to the MkIII. However I need to do some tests before I abandon the MkII totally. I think Iv'e been able to eliminate the need for the additional 2N7000 FET (or BC547B) as well as the two quad 74AC08 AND gates.

First though I need to get this damn programmer working, otherwise I'll be going nowhere fast!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:22 pm

I hate windows 10 rubbish called an operating system as i would not bother with vista or windows 8 windows 10 is the worst windows ever ......xp and 7 are only worthy ...no need to fix a problem when the problem is the operating system .
Reinstall your old friend !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:I hate windows 10 ...

Yes, I'm somewhat less than impressed with 10, but it's not as bad as Vista (what could be?). Others are using the same programmer with 10, so somehow they got it working. I need to trawl the Microchip web-site. I'm fairly sure it's a driver issue.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:46 pm

Programmer issue fixed! It was a two-fold problem, driver installation AND a dodgy USB cable. One was masking the other. Now I can get on with things...though not today, other matters to deal with.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:22 pm

I am Glad you got it going Steve...i am following your build with interest beyond me the build but i know what the end result should be .
I dislike windows 10 driver problems but more so because of all the rubbish that comes with it trying to make it look like an iphone is silly .
BTW how hard would Aurora standards converter idea be ? don't know if that thing does colour but a b/w one would be pretty handy :idea:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Yes, as I said I'm less than impressed with 10 but I have to stick with it unfortunately.

Thanks for the interest in this up-converter, I actually don't believe it's beyond you, when things settle down you should have a bash at it.

As for the Aurora, ask Steve O (Panrock here) as he has one. The web-site is here...

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design ... tures.html

It seems to do colour, but if you input black and white, that's what you get out...as you'd expect.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 am

Steve Anderson wrote:Yes, as I said I'm less than impressed with 10 but I have to stick with it unfortunately.

Thanks for the interest in this up-converter, I actually don't believe it's beyond you, when things settle down you should have a bash at it.

As for the Aurora, ask Steve O (Panrock here) as he has one. The web-site is here...

http://www.tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design ... tures.html

It seems to do colour, but if you input black and white, that's what you get out...as you'd expect.

Steve A.

Yes i have not had a go at one of these yet well not for a few years i recall buying a sstv converter kit i think i still have the circuit manual pre internet days ,i must of stuffed some thing up as i it didn't work had no idea how to fault find that thing and its long gone now ...i will see if i can track it down .

Have a few things going at the moment have check availability of parts costs such but they do interest me i would have to reread your past go's i did very much like the last one i used a lot of your wav files from it to test my p7 sstv .

Yep the Aurora is handy for Steve and hes 405 line tv and 120 line mirror screw it would be on my to get list if i could but family first hobby not so first :wink:
Harry Dalek

Power supply. Work in progress

Postby acl » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 am

Hi gang,

Just to let you know I am still busy. Power supply shown nearly complete. All bits available from Maplins here in the UK with exception of the 7912 from eBay. Remembered to watch these requlators as they have a tendency to oscillate on the output if tracks too long as they differ in design from manufacturer.

Regards Chris Lewis

supply640.jpg
supply640.jpg (399.87 KiB) Viewed 14342 times

[*** Edited by Andrew Davie to provide inline small image ***].
Attachments
supply.jpg
Power supply module
(3.08 MiB) Not downloaded yet
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

PreviousNext

Return to Cop McDonald's FM SSTV System