Astoria Girls

A "new fashioned" televisor, using an Arduino to drive the motor and display.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Astoria Girls

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat May 13, 2017 2:35 pm

I've always been quite fascinated by the restorations of 1930s mechanical TV videos and understanding what's actually being shown - sometimes difficult due to the painfully low resolution and noise introduced by the recording and transmitting media. One of those scenes restored by Don McLean is the Astoria dancing girls

I thought I'd do a modern transcription of dancing girls to see how it compared. Very well, actually - quite remarkable that this sort of quality (on Don's page) was achieved in the mid 1930s.

youtu.be/06XEMpWw5gI

Here's the small subsample of Don's restored version for comparison..

Restored version copyright Don McLean.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: Astoria Girls

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue May 23, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Andrew

You more than likely have one the best mechanical Nipkow Televisons displays around might be also the only one in Tasmania ? .... well best i have seen in any case...any one can match it ?
Looking at your video makes me wonder if it ever was as good in the past. Using neons it would of been orange for a start would they have ever seen it in b/w ? I wonder if Baird since he did a 3 colour display ever mixed the colours to get white light so a b/w display ?
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Andrew Davie's Arduino Televisor