Build your own Circuit Board

A "new fashioned" televisor, using an Arduino to drive the motor and display.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Build your own Circuit Board

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:05 pm

Well thanks Andrew, yes I'll accept one.

It may be a worthwhile exercise to send them onto those who are actually, really, truly going to build a televisor with it. This will test the board and the software with a variety of motors, discs and other mechanical arrangements.

If I'm correct the video/audio file-format needs documenting so that others can create material for it. Or develop an app that generates compatible files...more work for someone!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:33 pm

You could start a business with those Andrew wouldn't that be nice getting rich on NBTV :mrgreen:
The whole project to the end result is very professional,
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:13 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:You could start a business with those Andrew wouldn't that be nice getting rich on NBTV :mrgreen:

Thanks Harry - from this side of the fence it feels very amateurish indeed. In any case I don't quite think the board is ready for prime time quite yet. I'm looking forward to having some external troubleshooting, suggestions and fixes, and maybe then I can provide it through the club shop. That would be my ideal - making it as easy as possible for newcomers to get a functional televisor with as little effort as possible.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:You could start a business with those Andrew wouldn't that be nice getting rich on NBTV :mrgreen:

Thanks Harry - from this side of the fence it feels very amateurish indeed. In any case I don't quite think the board is ready for prime time quite yet. I'm looking forward to having some external troubleshooting, suggestions and fixes, and maybe then I can provide it through the club shop. That would be my ideal - making it as easy as possible for newcomers to get a functional televisor with as little effort as possible.

Well that would be a good idea once its about in a few hands some others can suggest any needed fixes...all you can do is point out any problems that may arise .
But looks good to me ...

Only but as always the mechanical side of it is always the bigger problem this is where every thing varies motors the disk so on to make some thing the same every thing has to be a copy ..
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Well thanks Andrew, yes I'll accept one.

Steve A.

Thanks Andrew, your stuffed PCB and blank PCB turned up in today's post (Monday), along with an assortment of other bits. I have to be careful, something that is 'stuffed' in Oz means it's ruined, in this case it means the components are fitted and soldered to the board.

I note it cost more to post from Australia to Thailand than the thing cost you to make (less your time and skills though).

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:58 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
Steve Anderson wrote:Well thanks Andrew, yes I'll accept one.

Steve A.

Thanks Andrew, your stuffed PCB and blank PCB turned up in today's post (Monday), along with an assortment of other bits. I have to be careful, something that is 'stuffed' in Oz means it's ruined, in this case it means the components are fitted and soldered to the board.

I note it cost more to post from Australia to Thailand than the thing cost you to make (less your time and skills though).

Steve A.

I don't keep track of those sort of things. Glad it arrived safely :)
I hope someday you get a chance to test it out on an actual machine.
Many thanks for your valuable and much appreciated help over the years.
Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:28 pm

It's been quite a while since an update. Keith Colson and I have been refining the code and really tightening things up. I built up the remainder of my ArduinoVisor boards, but was bewildered to find that the IRL540 units were overheating in nearly all that I built. It finally clicked that these were all from the same batch; a cheap Chinese supplier. Turns out, I'm fairly certain, that these cheap IRL540 are actually incapable of handling 5V logic levels. Junk, basically. To test this, I purchased 6x IRL540 from a reputable Aussie electronics store and replaced the IRL540 on three faulty boards. All the boards worked perfectly. So, lesson learned -- looks like the chinese stuff was (at best) not up to standard. I suspect, though, they just rebadged IRF540 units and hoped that nobody would notice.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Robonz » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:13 pm

Sounds like you got fakes. I got some fake transistor a few years ago. I opened them up and where they normally have a copper disc inside that the die mounts on, there was some crappy metal of some kind. I left negative feedback and now I can't buy other stuff I want from that supplier. It looks like they are still selling them too haha satisfyelectronics on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2N3055-TO-3-NP ... 280675f5a3

A good way to tell is you can rub the numbers off with IPA if you rub hard. Good transistors the numbers never come off. Lots of fakes these days.

While I think of it, have you thought about putting a D2Pak mosfet on the board? They are nice because they wont bend when you bump them etc. Big and easy to solder still.
Robonz
Evil Genius

Previous

Return to Andrew Davie's Arduino Televisor