Embed Video

Site-wide announcements, tips & tricks.

Embed Video

Postby Andrew Davie » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:37 am

Here's a new way to embed MP4 videos, instead of uploading to youtube; upload the MP4 via the "Upload Attachment" tab, then right-click the file and "copy link address" or similar option from the menu. Then include that address between [ video ] and [ /video ] tags (without the spaces). You should get an embedded video player of the video in your post. I'll look at extending this to AVI and other formats soon.

Attachments
VID_20170312_214655.mp4
(2.45 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
Andrew Davie
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: Embed Video

Postby gary » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Excellent Andrew! That's a great help. Cheers.
Perfecting an NBTV system is like trying to slam a revolving door...
gary
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 am

Actually that seems to be very susceptible to the type of MP4 video (not that surprising I suppose) - is there any documentation on what it expects?
Perfecting an NBTV system is like trying to slam a revolving door...
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:00 pm

Great idea for the forum Andrew my worry with You tube is its just linked if you tube ever gos there gos the link ..you have done a lot on this forum i have not see on others ,i saw one forum the other day and you had to email any photos before it could be put on that forum thats a pain who could be bothered !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 pm

gary wrote:Actually that seems to be very susceptible to the type of MP4 video (not that surprising I suppose) - is there any documentation on what it expects?

It's using the HTML5 "video" tag with the paramter... type-"video/mp4"
Aside from that, I haven't delved into the limitations.
Andrew Davie

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Great idea for the forum Andrew my worry with You tube is its just linked if you tube ever gos there gos the link ..you have done a lot on this forum i have not see on others ,i saw one forum the other day and you had to email any photos before it could be put on that forum thats a pain who could be bothered !

The downside is that the entire video needs to be downloaded by the browser before it starts playing. That can be quite a while for large videos. On the other hand, YouTube videos are streaming, so they can start pretty quickly. One option is to upload to youtube and use the youtube link/tag to embed the video, but ALSO upload it as an attachment so that the file is there in case the youtube link disappears.
Andrew Davie

Return to Announcements