The Tasmanian Devil VCR139....A for Andrew

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: The Tasmanian Devil VCR139....A for Andrew

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:It's possible that the aluminium coating has been applied, often CRTs had a suffix to indicate a change in the basic design or manufacturing process. In this case it may mean the coating process has been implemented. i.e. the change from a VCR139 to a VCR139A. Other changes, usually to the focus anode to reduce focus current, often resulted in an A or B suffix.

Well thats Logical and very possible ...it just seemed to work better that all i have read ,i see no real problems working just like a little version of the last one .

Looking at the last photo above I would say that's about the limit for the focus and is about the best the tube could deliver. Compared to the earlier photos it's vastly improved.

Steve A.

I to am happy how it is at this size perhaps with a slight aspect ratio change i can see i could at least double the lines and 120 line possible it would just fit this side on this CRT may be its limit that Ok i could try some thing higher on another CRT gives me an excuse to make another one in the future .

I am still working on the board i posted up a post or so back soldered on a input jack so i can test what i have made i will plug it in to the computer play your reversing wav file and power it up tomorrow .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 pm

The test on the circuit posted seems fine switching it on playing Steve's reversing wav file all looks fine the test points adjusting the sync slice control ,one thing R611 mine is 220k ..i noticed on Troy's build he's is 22k ...
Do you recall Steve which is which i will do some more reading see if i can track it down...best to make sure for me and who ever else who may to make one in the future .
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2171&start=15
I have not found it yet but the original of this must be posted in my build some where ..
In the mean time i am going to make opto video driver board only got as far as the 4066 have to track down R302 5.6M keep the cap smaller size wise
Attachments
3BP1 NBTV Sybc Sep Initial 1.gif
3BP1 NBTV Sybc Sep Initial 1.gif (8.8 KiB) Viewed 18678 times
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG (362.78 KiB) Viewed 18678 times
3BP1 NBTV Video Drive 1.gif
3BP1 NBTV Video Drive 1.gif (7.64 KiB) Viewed 18678 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:23 pm

It probably wouldn't make much, if any, difference if R611 were 22k or 220k, I was just keeping the time-constants pro-rata. Keep on plugging on, you're getting there.

As for the 560k +1u or 5M6 + 100n, it's best to use one or the other, don't mix them up. You could use say 2M2 and 220n. As long as the time-constant is approximately the same all should be well. e.g. 560k x 1u = 0.56s (seconds), 5M6 x 100n = 0.56s, 2M2 x 220n = 0.48s - near enough. It was a 'finger in the air' guess anyway. Or even 2M7 + 220n = 0.59s, still OK.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:40 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:It probably wouldn't make much, if any, difference if R611 were 22k or 220k, I was just keeping the time-constants pro-rata. Keep on plugging on, you're getting there.

I didn't think troy had changed the value but mine seems to be working on 220K the schematic with the 22k i am yet to find ...i will have a good look today been reviewing the 3bp1 postings in any case and a lot of why did i do that and i got that easier this time :wink:

As for the 560k +1u or 5M6 + 100n, it's best to use one or the other, don't mix them up. You could use say 2M2 and 220n. As long as the time-constant is approximately the same all should be well. e.g. 560k x 1u = 0.56s (seconds), 5M6 x 100n = 0.56s, 2M2 x 220n = 0.48s - near enough. It was a 'finger in the air' guess anyway. Or even 2M7 + 220n = 0.59s, still OK.

Steve A.

OH a 2.2meg and 220nf would be easier i have lots of those as something different this time may as well try !

I didn't have time after work to work on the project ... rotten garden equipment repairs took my time up this afternoon boring ! :(
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Generally I try to keep capacitor values to the E3 series, in this case 100n, 220n, 470n, 1u and so on... Getting some of the in-between values these days is becoming harder but when it comes to a filter, for example, I try to arrange things so that at worst the caps are of the E6 series, 100n, 150n, 220n, 330n, 470n and 680n...and so on. E12 series caps are getting even harder to source, 100n, 120n, 150n, 180n and so on...but sometimes you have no choice.

Resistors, thankfully, are far easier, and usually can be adjusted to maintain the same or very similar time-constant, allowing the caps to be either E3 or E6.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:52 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Generally I try to keep capacitor values to the E3 series, in this case 100n, 220n, 470n, 1u and so on... Getting some of the in-between values these days is becoming harder but when it comes to a filter, for example, I try to arrange things so that at worst the caps are of the E6 series, 100n, 150n, 220n, 330n, 470n and 680n...and so on. E12 series caps are getting even harder to source, 100n, 120n, 150n, 180n and so on...but sometimes you have no choice.

Resistors, thankfully, are far easier, and usually can be adjusted to maintain the same or very similar time-constant, allowing the caps to be either E3 or E6.

Steve A.

I have never come across the E series discussed.... i understand the more common and less common part numbers values i didn't know this had a value letter and number set to them ..
Sometimes i might have 1 or 2 of the harder to get caps but they would be by luck from scrapping something .
I had to make my 82k resistance R622 for the 2nd 4538 mono not to much of a problem i have lots of room on this board but thats a harder resistor to find for me had a few of 8.2k .
I came across this wire spool in the photos some time ago i was at first thinking it was for a wire audio recorder but i think it is resistance wire make your own resistor i suppose !
I have finished the opto video driver circuit and working on the monostable ic's side of it, have 1 ic to go and some testing and if all go's well hook it up to the opto coupler should be able to display video on this crt by the weekend .
BTW i went with 2,7 meg + 220n that 2,7 was right in front of me so it got lucky !
If all gos well there i will look into adjusting things for 60 line horizontal .
Attachments
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2423.JPG (334.26 KiB) Viewed 18661 times
IMG_2411.JPG
IMG_2411.JPG (382.41 KiB) Viewed 18660 times
IMG_2413.JPG
IMG_2413.JPG (304 KiB) Viewed 18660 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:08 pm

The 'E' series basically refers to the number of values per decade. For resistors the most common are the E12 series. The progression is roughly logarithmic 1k0, 1k2, 1k5, 1k8, 2k2, 2k7, 3k3, 3k9, 4k7, 5k6, 6k8 and 8k2 - twelve values spanning a 10:1 ratio. Courser decade spans as mentioned are the E6 series and increasingly for larger capacitors these days the E3 series.

Going finer you'll find the E24 series, 1k0, 1k1, 1k2, 1k3, 1k5 and so on. There are finer increments too, E48 (48 values per decade), E96 and E192. As they get finer the tolerance decreases where at E192 0.1% is common. So it's, "Time to open you wallet WIDE if you need these."

This applies to inductors/coils too, though you're lucky to find any outside the E6 series.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby McGee2021 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:13 am

Off topic, but with all of that nichrome wire you could do some interesting things!

youtu.be/wKoc7-APFsk
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:20 pm

[quote="McGee2021"]Off topic, but with all of that nichrome wire you could do some interesting things!
Yes thats interesting ,i think you would have to do a lot of tinkering to repeat the results in the video ..Heres me thinking it might come in handy for a wire wound resistor experiment one day ! i will google more on this wire .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:58 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:The 'E' series basically refers to the number of values per decade. For resistors the most common are the E12 series. The progression is roughly logarithmic 1k0, 1k2, 1k5, 1k8, 2k2, 2k7, 3k3, 3k9, 4k7, 5k6, 6k8 and 8k2 - twelve values spanning a 10:1 ratio. Courser decade spans as mentioned are the E6 series and increasingly for larger capacitors these days the E3 series.

Going finer you'll find the E24 series, 1k0, 1k1, 1k2, 1k3, 1k5 and so on. There are finer increments too, E48 (48 values per decade), E96 and E192. As they get finer the tolerance decreases where at E192 0.1% is common. So it's, "Time to open you wallet WIDE if you need these."

This applies to inductors/coils too, though you're lucky to find any outside the E6 series.

Steve A.

Capacitors i have most known values had a hard time tracking down a 470nf i think it was on the 2nd last monostable found one so i was happy !
Resistors there tend to be used more so i have more of those i would think i would tare my hair out trying to find a 1.3k or 1.5k so on so i don't like seeing those values in projects ,i think half the time spend constructing is trying to track down a harder to find part and fingers crossed they are in your junk box.

I am off work today so i finished the circuit side of the project enough to give it a go ...i found i have a problem with my 12 volt power supply as is it drops to 9 volts and an 3.3 with the video circuits ..i didn't have 12 volt regulators handy for the dual supply so just tried the zener with resistor idea ..i may just need a 7812 and leave the negative supply as is ...but i will look into that .
So talking about that i am using the bench 12 volt supply in these tests for now .
The video is rock steady on the NBTV video test card so the sync part of it looks fine ,i tried the reversing wave could not make any thing out yet i will have to tweaking on the video side of it ..also using a desk top this time i think i was still using a lap top last time another factor which changes things .
I also had to add a little resistance to frame timebase out 6E and the input to the frame sawtooth circuit as it was as is cutting horizontal out i think i used an extra 180 ohm .... i think i recall i had this problem last time and had to do the same thing ,i will have to review what value resistor i used there .
Also the horizontal deflection plates wiring needs reversing as you see .

youtu.be/UZvrdd2kws8
Attachments
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG (279.75 KiB) Viewed 18651 times
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2444.JPG (433.52 KiB) Viewed 18651 times
IMG_2430.JPG
IMG_2430.JPG (381.28 KiB) Viewed 18651 times
Harry Dalek

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Congratulations! Really nice to see. Put a smile on my face... well done!
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Well done Harry, far less problems with this one than the last.

If you let me know what you amended I'll have a look at updating the circuits. When I drew up the diagrams I was working 'blind', i.e. I hadn't built the circuits myself so I expected there would be some AOT required (Adjust On Test). All in all a great result.

Generally designers will try and stick to the E12 series (or less) as they are easier to obtain and probably a bit cheaper than those in the E24 series. It's not that often an E24 resistor is required but as I mentioned, sometimes you have no choice. Take a video circuit with a standard impedance of 75R, that is an E24 value, but I'll usually put a note on the circuit, "Rxxx can be 150||150" The two lines meaning in parallel, or for 360R, "180+180" for in series.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:51 pm

Andrew Davie wrote:Congratulations! Really nice to see. Put a smile on my face... well done!

Thanks to you Andrew no CRT no project no Steve no circuit !
Like with a lot of these things its every one helping gets things working
I still have a ways to go but i too am very happy with todays results need to see some Grey Scale and i will be more happy ,i am sort of glad i went with a 32 line system to start this off with make the next steps easier .
Just have to fix the low power supply problem i stuffed up and Tinker some more
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Well done Harry, far less problems with this one than the last.

Yes up to this point went very quick amazing what good grounding does hindsight hindsight hindsight i say .

Code: Select all
If you let me know what you amended I'll have a look at updating the circuits. When I drew up the diagrams I was working 'blind', i.e. I hadn't built the circuits myself so I expected there would be some AOT required (Adjust On Test). All in all a great result.

I will put in the part changes so far which isn't very many and pretty much stuck to your circuit changes i can only think of so far would be adding resistance to the sawtooth sync frame circuit input as that must be a bit off second time here to stopped the frame sawtooth from working ,as i said i just added a little resistance and that worked again ...it could just be down to the transistors i used or the resistors are a touch off as we were talking about few posts ago .

Generally designers will try and stick to the E12 series (or less) as they are easier to obtain and probably a bit cheaper than those in the E24 series. It's not that often an E24 resistor is required but as I mentioned, sometimes you have no choice. Take a video circuit with a standard impedance of 75R, that is an E24 value, but I'll usually put a note on the circuit, "Rxxx can be 150||150" The two lines meaning in parallel, or for 360R, "180+180" for in series.

Steve A.

I can see it must be hard to design some thing so all the parts have to be in range and that other part is me building from the schematic the Rogue factor ~! ,i tend to check with my meter how the resistors are but again what my meter reads may not be the same as the other sees ..all in all so far every thing seems in range enough to do this test ...

Need as i mentioned to Andrew see some Gray scale something about this reminds me of last build when i could only view inverted videos i am going to review this stage on the 3BP1 and jog my memory .
I may grab my lap top and test it with that has also all the video wav files i tried on the last one .
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Reviewing Steves version of Klass sync slice circuit i see some thing i picked up a while ago may be a problem i am having with other videos
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2059&start=360

Had me wondering what was going on with R611...i have it at 220k Wrong should be 22k with my other parts 100n and 2m2 ...perhaps this is why i am having problems with other videos and no grey scale that i have seen yet could be because i haven't been able to play any thing else correctly bit of head scratching i can't see the problem being this sync thing effecting video grey scale but work on playing other videos and see ...
Attachments
NBTV Sybc Sep Initial 3.gif
NBTV Sybc Sep Initial 3.gif (11.28 KiB) Viewed 18642 times
Harry Dalek

PreviousNext

Return to The Tasmanian Devil VCR139....A for Andrew