Sandblasting

A build to model parts for a Baird lens box, the type seen on televisors, suitable for 3D printing and use on a televisor model.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Sandblasting

Postby McGee2021 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:41 am

I have recently acquired a 500 gallon air compressor, used in conjunction with a sandblaster large enough to fit a small office chair in. My hopes are to use this sandblaster, instead of the traditionally acetone and chloroform, to smooth some of my 3d printed parts, most notably the case and knobs. The face plate is going to be a rather difficult piece to 3d model, so i have thrown away hopes to print it, and instead make a mold of it. I have mentioned this before, i think, but i just feel that it fits into this post.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Sandblasting

Postby settinger » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:06 am

Hi McGee, I'm an avid 3d printer/modeler myself, and I'd be happy to help if I can! I only just joined the NBTV forum, so I'm still getting caught up on all the information contained here, but I think I have a grasp on the mechanical parts!
settinger
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Sandblasting

Postby Andrew Davie » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:23 pm

McGee2021 wrote:I have recently acquired a 500 gallon air compressor, used in conjunction with a sandblaster large enough to fit a small office chair in. My hopes are to use this sandblaster, instead of the traditionally acetone and chloroform, to smooth some of my 3d printed parts, most notably the case and knobs. The face plate is going to be a rather difficult piece to 3d model, so i have thrown away hopes to print it, and instead make a mold of it. I have mentioned this before, i think, but i just feel that it fits into this post.

I'm wondering if the faceplate could be modelled as per lithophanes. Using brightness to represent height - there is lots of software around already to convert an intensity-coded image into a 3D height-mapped object.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Baird Lens Box and Face plate