Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Software related to NBTV.

Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:42 am

Latest version

This isn't really "Off Topic" because it is NBTV related. But I couldn't quite find the forum to put it in.

So I have caught the NBTV bug again. I have been using Gary's excellent Video2NBTV software and it works great! But on more than one occasion, I have found myself wanting to play with other line standards, frame rates etc. I looked around and couldn't find any NBTV software that could generate or view arbitrary NBTV formats so I decided to start writing my own.

Since I am almost always jugging a dozen different things at once, I don't have a huge amount of time to dedicate to the project. Since there are still a lot of bugs and broken features, I am not releasing it quite yet. So this is kind of a pre-release announcement. But my design goals are:

• To be as configurable as possible allowing the generation of arbitrary formats
  • To be cross platform (Windows, Linux and Mac)
  • To be released as open source software
  • To have a functional GUI
  • To support 4 simultaneous output channels
  • To support monochrome as well as various different color formats
  • To support high sample rates and high resolutions (96KHz+, 90 lines+)

It currently meets some but not all of these goals. There are still some things that need to be worked out to make the existing features fully functional. And other features still need to be implemented.

The configuration also doesn't come without a cost. Having almost every parameter tunable means there are a lot of run time conditionals and memory accesses as frames are generated. This means that it requires more CPU power than other NBTV software. I suggest at least a Core2 Duo for smooth real time performance.

I attached a picture of freenbtv generating a 32 line signal out the sound card with a loop back through stereo mix to display it on Gary's NBTV: The Big Picture.

At some point, I'd also like to write a matching viewer for arbitrary formats. Right now, testing is a bit challenging because of the limited options of viewers available.
Attachments
free_nbtv2.png
Last edited by smeezekitty on Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Good Work its always nice to have a new tool to use on the hobby i like your lets do it attitude.
Making it to work at different line and frame rates is great idea does not have to be NBTV standard just NBTV.
BY the way we don't have a modern software that does the classic 7 and 8 second SSTV hint hint !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:44 pm

Sounds a great idea.
Look forward to seeing the results,

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby smeezekitty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Alpha Release!

It still contains a some bugs and quite a few features that aren't implemented yet but I'd like if someone could try it out.
I compiled it on my Windows x64 system so hopefully I built it and all the dependencies for Win32.

edit: Deleted old/buggy copy
Last edited by smeezekitty on Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
smeezekitty

Postby smeezekitty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm

And source code. I didn't include the build scripts because they are highly specific for my system so it might takes some work if you actually want to build it yourself. I will hopefully put together a proper build system when I have more time.
Attachments
src_freenbtv_a1.zip
(42.9 KiB) Downloaded 896 times
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:17 pm

I had no luck on my lap top its a windows 32 system .
I was just getting error messages ,pity i am interested to try it out .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:I had no luck on my lap top its a windows 32 system .
I was just getting error messages ,pity i am interested to try it out .

Hmm that's strange. What error was it?
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:09 pm

Hmm that's strange. What error was it?

Missing DLL files
i will look which ones
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Ok this is what comes up when i try to start it ...
Attachments
Screen 00014.jpg
Screen 00014.jpg (80.7 KiB) Viewed 25318 times
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:25 pm

<Deleted> See updated DLL files below
Last edited by smeezekitty on Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 pm

smeezekitty wrote:Hmm try unzipping and dropping this in the bin directory.

OK tried that there's another file missing by the looks of it //
Attachments
Screen 00016.jpg
Screen 00016.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 25306 times
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 am

Thank you for your work. I'm using Linux and MacOS X, so a new NBTV software which I can use without the need of starting Wine or Parallels is most welcome. The last MacOS X software is quite outdated and does not work on any system younger than "Snow Leopard".
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby smeezekitty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

DrZarkov wrote:Thank you for your work. I'm using Linux and MacOS X, so a new NBTV software which I can use without the need of starting Wine or Parallels is most welcome. The last MacOS X software is quite outdated and does not work on any system younger than "Snow Leopard".

Thank you for the encouragement!

Indeed the lack of cross platform software stuck out at me. While I am focusing on the Windows build right now, once I get a normal build system together, it should be pretty easy to compile on Linux and Mac (fingers crossed)

OK tried that there's another file missing by the looks of it //

I am kinda staggered how many dependencies GTK requires. I ran it through dependency walker so hopefully this is all of them.
Try putting this in the bin folder
Attachments
more_deps.zip
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 956 times
smeezekitty

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:13 pm

OK i got it up now thanks to all the last mass DLL file list ...
I am trying to work it out i can see what it can do but i need to load a picture as its like Garys video2nbtv i think but you have made it multi system which is rather good ~!
in other words i need instructions sorry :roll: but thumbs up looks good !
BTW Gary has 30 32 60 120 line Doms software does 30 32 48 64 line as far as a viewer ,being able to generate odd formats is good as i am playing around with that now .
Harry Dalek

Postby smeezekitty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:09 pm

OK i got it up now thanks to all the last mass DLL file list ...
I am trying to work it out i can see what it can do but i need to load a picture as its like Garys video2nbtv i think but you have made it multi system which is rather good ~!
in other words i need instructions sorry :roll: but thumbs up looks good !
BTW Gary has 30 32 60 120 line Doms software does 30 32 48 64 line as far as a viewer ,being able to generate odd formats is good as i am playing around with that now .

Thanks! I'm glad it works now. It uses FFMPEG or SDL_Image to load the file. So it can support just about any type of image, video (but video with audio doesn't work yet), animated GIFs etc. You don't need to worry about directshow codecs either.

I should mention you need to press "set format" before pressing start and whenever you change the audio output settings.
smeezekitty

Next

Return to Software