New to NBTV --software question

Software related to NBTV.

New to NBTV --software question

Postby Phantogram » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi all,
I'm wondering if there is software available to generate wav files (or really any format source signals) for non-standard nipkow disks? For example I've built a disk that uses 30 horizontal lines (scanning right to left, top to bottom), 10 frames per second. No sync pulse.

I know, its a strange format... but is there anything that allows you to enter custom parameters to generate test cards and/or convert video?

Any suggestions much appreciated!

WD
Phantogram
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: New to NBTV --software question

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:27 pm

There may be, I'm assuming you mean PC-based software? I think Gary Millard did something similar but probably not for your format. Any others here with suggestions?

Three things you've omitted are aspect ratio, pixels per line and if there's blanking between lines. If there is blanking how much line-time is devoted to it? No syncs is noted, but I wouldn't close the door on that option.

30 lines at 10fps equals 300 lines/sec, 3.333ms per line, 100ms/frame.

Just the same as 'standard' NBTV you'll have LF problems if using audio equipment for this, including PC sound 'cards'. They're not insurmountable, but be prepared...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby smeezekitty » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Yes - my own

But the learning curve is a bit steep
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:02 am

smeezekitty wrote:...But the learning curve is a bit steep

Well, it's seems you're quite capable on the software side, those of us (me) who are more of a hardware guy will help when we can...

I find the USB interface really challenging, end-points, ping-pong this and that, suspend mode..Aaaarrgghh! Why does it have to be so complex?

I was told many years ago, "Simplicity is the elegance of design"...and it's true...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:07 am

https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vi ... btv#p24689

As mentioned few post back it will do any line frame rate add fame sync ,scan direction so on within reason ,you can play around a fair bit ,but the player you will have to make one as in the monitor unless its standard .
So go with freeNBTV download one of the later versions to wards the end of the postings...the menu is a bit tricky till you get the hang of it so read the posts.
Garys software https://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vi ... f=5&t=2745
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Phantogram » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:47 pm

smeezekitty wrote:Yes - my own

@smeezekitty: this is literally PERFECT!
Love it --this is exactly what I was looking for! I love the flexibility of being able to create any arbitrary scanning pattern! I can't thank you enough for building this!

Thanks everyone for helping me find my way into the exciting world of NBTV!
WD
Phantogram
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:08 am

Steve Anderson wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:...But the learning curve is a bit steep

Well, it's seems you're quite capable on the software side, those of us (me) who are more of a hardware guy will help when we can...

I find the USB interface really challenging, end-points, ping-pong this and that, suspend mode..Aaaarrgghh! Why does it have to be so complex?

I was told many years ago, "Simplicity is the elegance of design"...and it's true...

Steve A.

Thanks! :lol:
I personally find analog hardware almost impossible.

Surely USB is designed to be complicated for a good reason. It is backwards and forwards compatible, fast and supports a lot of devices on one bus. In exchange, there is more protocol complexity.
smeezekitty

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:09 am

Phantogram wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:Yes - my own

@smeezekitty: this is literally PERFECT!
Love it --this is exactly what I was looking for! I love the flexibility of being able to create any arbitrary scanning pattern! I can't thank you enough for building this!

Thanks everyone for helping me find my way into the exciting world of NBTV!
WD

Pretty much exactly why I created it. I like the flexibility to experiment with new formats. I also wanted a way to run my monitor at a higher framerate. BTW you will probably find the flicker at 10 FPS will be rather annoying.
smeezekitty

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:19 pm

smeezekitty wrote:I personally find analog hardware almost impossible.

Well, being the old fossil I am I come from an age where the words 'logic' and 'digital' had somewhat different meanings to what they do today. So analogue design is my background, of course in the intervening period I've got on board with those newer disciplines too.

Though analogue design isn't without its challenges, I'm wrestling with Steve O's (aka Panrock) colour mirror-screw project at the moment, I'll get there, but it's not something you can do on the back of a fag packet. (fag = UK speak for cigarette, not the same as the US!).

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:11 pm

I feel the electronics world wants to do away with analogue not much left ! least the start and end result is analogue ! perhaps we should do away with the digital middle man ! ; )
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Return to Software