Summary of all surviving german sets with pics and infos

Links to relevant web sites, copies of patent documents and newspaper and magazine articles. Feel free to post relevant items here. This forum is moderated and non-relevant postings will be deleted.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Summary of all surviving german sets with pics and infos

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:27 pm

Its nice to see the sets...the mechanical ones interest me but i saw a documentary many years ago which i still have on tape some where and they said all german crt tv's had a green display crt never true b/w.

Heres a great site for German early televisions great photos

http://fernsehen.bplaced.net/tec_eme.html
Attachments
Heft-01_FSE.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 492 times
Corbis-BE060637.jpg
Date Photographed: September 17, 1928
Corbis-BE060637.jpg (67.24 KiB) Viewed 11820 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Metallica Man X » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:25 am

That's pretty swheet. It's neat to see so many survivors. I wonder how many of them still work.

You need to dig up that documentary and let us know what it is for finding and downloading lol.
I mostly lurk..don't be surprised when I actually post!
Metallica Man X
Master Craftsman

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:08 am

Thank you for that very interesting list! I need to plan my holiday for next year very carefully ;-)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:11 pm

No worries DrZarkov your there so you get to see them :wink:

Yes good site Metallica Man X i would be copying any photos or documents i tend to link only if its to big to copy here .

Yep pity the documentary was taken off u tube but i think that was the mirror drum i saw init .

That small crt tv with the green screen is beautiful
Attachments
bosch_e1_01.jpg
bosch_e1_01.jpg (134.41 KiB) Viewed 11796 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:00 pm

As you can see an this photo, the picture was not really green, but "greenish". The picture is of course from the homepage of the late Eckard Etzold (http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/ar ... aenger.htm)

I like from old black and white sets, that the picture is almost never really black and white. (Some are very close to it.) I prefered the warm tone of our "Siemens Bildmeister" over the "blue" "Saba Schauinsland" we had in our guestroom until mid 1980s. I have here in my working room 10 old sets, and they all have slightly different "colours".
Attachments
e1raster.jpg
e1raster.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 11793 times
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 am

DrZarkov wrote:As you can see an this photo, the picture was not really green, but "greenish". The picture is of course from the homepage of the late Eckard Etzold (http://bs.cyty.com/menschen/e-etzold/ar ... aenger.htm)

I like from old black and white sets, that the picture is almost never really black and white. (Some are very close to it.) I prefered the warm tone of our "Siemens Bildmeister" over the "blue" "Saba Schauinsland" we had in our guestroom until mid 1980s. I have here in my working room 10 old sets, and they all have slightly different "colours".

HI its a beauty all right and i nice size ,in the documentary about all prewar and war time crt tv's in Germany they never had 100% B/W .
In the documentary i saw the guy who was related to the man who invented found a phosphor that did this .
Thats interesting about the different colours your b/ws do .
The mirror drum in my first photo looks like this guy had a higher line number than baird at the time .
Harry Dalek

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:11 am

The different colours of white in the picture tubes is not that strange. The "white" phosphor is in most cases a mixture of blue phosphor and yellow phosphor. If you watch a working B/W CRT via a magnifying glass you will see yellow and blue dots, the phosphor grains. In fact it is the same phosphor that is also used in the old colour "33" TL tubes.

By selecting the mixture ratio the colour can be shifted somewhat to the yellow or to the blue hue. So, if more companies made CRT's it is very unlikely that they would all have had the same white point.

However, then came colour TV. New phosphors were developed for Red, Green and Blue. While mixing them for TL-tubes you can make all colours of TL's you like. And you get a better colour rendering of these 'white' tubes, because the 33-type yellow and blue TL doesn't contain red, so you always show having an unhealthy greyish skin. With RGB-TL's (colours 82, 83, 84, 85) this is much better. Even flesh at the butchers show case looks nice and red.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:The different colours of white in the picture tubes is not that strange. The "white" phosphor is in most cases a mixture of blue phosphor and yellow phosphor. If you watch a working B/W CRT via a magnifying glass you will see yellow and blue dots, the phosphor grains. In fact it is the same phosphor that is also used in the old colour "33" TL tubes.

By selecting the mixture ratio the colour can be shifted somewhat to the yellow or to the blue hue. So, if more companies made CRT's it is very unlikely that they would all have had the same white point.

However, then came colour TV. New phosphors were developed for Red, Green and Blue. While mixing them for TL-tubes you can make all colours of TL's you like. And you get a better colour rendering of these 'white' tubes, because the 33-type yellow and blue TL doesn't contain red, so you always show having an unhealthy greyish skin. With RGB-TL's (colours 82, 83, 84, 85) this is much better. Even flesh at the butchers show case looks nice and red.

HI Klaas

Again i am going to have track this documentary down ! but it had to do with the invention on a b/w phosphor ...as i recall at the time just pre ww2
the germans had green picture tube where as the English had True black and white .....i don't recall if the germans just went with the green picture tubes or forced to due to not knowing how to make the b/w phosphor..

I put a chart up on off topics i found and looking at that and knowing the end of the crt would you say they got it to do just about any colour they wanted and phosphor speed to do ...

Yes sneaky those butcher shops :wink:
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 pm

At british websites I see 405 line sets with a pink picture (I think it was a colour filter with some kind of function I do not understand), and of course there was the "Argus" TV set, which had sometimes a really green tube, made for radar purposes.

The black and white picture seems to be black and white at any old TV, but if you switch on several sets at the same time, you see the difference. Saba's tendence is more to blue, Siemens more to yellow. Philips seems to be somewhere between. Here is a picture of a "Saba Schauinsland", one of the first sets after the war (625 lines) an a screenshot of a typical "blue-ish" black and white set from that time (made by "Graetz"). Unfortunally there is no analog TV on air here this area, so I can't switch on several of my sets at the same time with the same picture.
Attachments
saba.schauinsland.jpg
saba.schauinsland.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 11757 times
SW TV 1.jpg
SW TV 1.jpg (42.09 KiB) Viewed 11757 times
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:00 am

DrZarkov wrote:At british websites I see 405 line sets with a pink picture (I think it was a colour filter with some kind of function I do not understand), and of course there was the "Argus" TV set, which had sometimes a really green tube, made for radar purposes.

The black and white picture seems to be black and white at any old TV, but if you switch on several sets at the same time, you see the difference. Saba's tendence is more to blue, Siemens more to yellow. Philips seems to be somewhere between. Here is a picture of a "Saba Schauinsland", one of the first sets after the war (625 lines) an a screenshot of a typical "blue-ish" black and white set from that time (made by "Graetz"). Unfortunally there is no analog TV on air here this area, so I can't switch on several of my sets at the same time with the same picture.

Hi i see what you mean about the different phosphor looks they are nice looking tv's! they knew how to make a cabinet for them back then ....how many televisions do you have ? i never really collected many televisions never had the room.

Its interesting on the Baird system is now like 625 no transmitted signal we still have it but its days are numbered......

One thing on the baird system i am not sure about did he keep he's vertical scan...i have seen it done on a scope but they have shown it horizontal ....know its just a matter of turning the picture tube but wonder what he used.
Attachments
240line (Large).JPG
240line (Large).JPG (81.84 KiB) Viewed 11752 times
100_0862.jpg
100_0862.jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 11751 times
100_0864.jpg
100_0864.jpg (57.82 KiB) Viewed 11751 times
100_0865.jpg
100_0865.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 11751 times
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:52 am

I have now 14 black and white sets (NBTV, monitors and colour TV in the living room not included), but I've concentrated on small sets (max. 30 cm screen), I've sold all my big box sets before I've moved to the place I live now. I prefer of course sets with a CRT, but the Casio TV 21 is of course an acceptable exception :wink:
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I have now 14 black and white sets (NBTV, monitors and colour TV in the living room not included), but I've concentrated on small sets (max. 30 cm screen), I've sold all my big box sets before I've moved to the place I live now. I prefer of course sets with a CRT, but the Casio TV 21 is of course an acceptable exception :wink:

Thats a lot of tv's ! i don't think my wife be to pleased with me if i started collecting them ...I have 3 in my shed best from 61 is boxed up for safe keeping .
i would rather display as you those and my valve radios best i could do is do that in my shed one day ...if i can get rid of enough clutter!

Yes small is better a good thing to keep in mind when trying to do to grand a nbtv ...
Harry Dalek

Return to Resources