A man after my own heart...

Links to relevant web sites, copies of patent documents and newspaper and magazine articles. Feel free to post relevant items here. This forum is moderated and non-relevant postings will be deleted.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

A man after my own heart...

Postby gary » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 am

http://www.earlytelevision.org/peck.html

Please read the quote from William Hoyt Peck at the end of the article.
gary

Re: A man after my own heart...

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:32 pm

gary wrote:http://www.earlytelevision.org/peck.html

Please read the quote from William Hoyt Peck at the end of the article.

The man liked Mechanical television for sure ..cathode ray tubes must of been pretty poor back then by the sounds of it ..

Great experimenters in the posts ...its one thing that does make mechanical television different i think to full electronic systems there are lots more ways for the experimenter to make a tv system at low cost perhaps some things never change.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Yes, it is the (comparative) ease of mechanical systems that is the great attraction to most constructors. However, as you yourself have found, to approach the THEORETICAL capacity of a mechanical system requires great skill and the appropriate engineering equipment.

It's always sobering to keep in mind that, all OTHER things being equal, the THEORETICAL performance of a mechanical system is considerably superior to that of a CRT. The main problem with mechanical systems is increasing the LINE count - but the performance of a mechanical system, along the scan line, IS and always has been superior to that of a CRT. The main reason for this being that it is possible to optimise the SHAPE of the scanning aperture of a mechanical system, whereas for a CRT you are stuck with a Gaussian aperture distortion curve.

None-the-less CRTs would be fun to build - now if we could only get a glass blower and a refrigeration mechanic to join the club...
gary

Return to Resources