Dénes v. Mihály

Links to relevant web sites, copies of patent documents and newspaper and magazine articles. Feel free to post relevant items here. This forum is moderated and non-relevant postings will be deleted.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Dénes v. Mihály

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm

Found this Pdf on i think some of Dénes v. Mihály Early tv ideas some other inventors as well ...I think this one is good for Dr Z but the television drawing ideas are very interesting mainly look like vibrating mirrors ,i wonder if they did make that matrix camera ?
Attachments
Denes_v._Mihaly_-_Das_elektrische_Fernsehen_und_das_Telehor.pdf
Interesting wish i could read german
(5.19 MiB) Downloaded 604 times
RadioBroadcast-Vol-12-1927-12.pdf
Another early television idea by him in this old magazine
(6.19 MiB) Downloaded 982 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:43 am

Thank you very much, I've read the first booklet before. It is a very interesting lecture. Von Mihaly was very close to a solution for his problems, but it was Baird who solved it: Radio valves were too slow to amplify the television pictures, they needed a signal in a much higher frequency. As we talked about this item in another thread, Baird just used a slotted disk to divide the lightbeam into a pseudo- HF.

Von Mihalys scanners were much more advanced than a Nipkow-disk, theoretically they would work in HD, but also much more difficult to make and therefore much more expensive. But together Baird and von Mihaly were a great team. :D
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Thank you very much, I've read the first booklet before. It is a very interesting lecture. Von Mihaly was very close to a solution for his problems, but it was Baird who solved it: Radio valves were too slow to amplify the television pictures, they needed a signal in a much higher frequency. As we talked about this item in another thread, Baird just used a slotted disk to divide the lightbeam into a pseudo- HF.

Von Mihalys scanners were much more advanced than a Nipkow-disk, theoretically they would work in HD, but also much more difficult to make and therefore much more expensive. But together Baird and von Mihaly were a great team. :D

I wonder if they ever did meet ? you would think they would all be interested in each others work Baird was a big traveller and did go to Germany... the post office had a television service in 1929 reading that Baird went there to start one but also reading Mihaly had a service working from Berlin same year makes me wonder who started it or they worked together ? .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:52 am

Yes, they did meet. They've founded a joint venture, called the "Fernseh AG" (Together with some other companies.) His first commercial TV-set, the "Telehor" with 30 lines was indeed technically very similar to the Baird Televisor. I've bought a book in Belgium (in Dutch) whitch describes the Telehor very precise. The similarities are quite obvious.

When I'll find a little bit of time, I will scan some pictures and put the information together for everyone, who wants to make a replica or at least a "look-alike".
DrZarkov

Postby gary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:18 pm

That would be very much appreciated, thank you. :-)
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:31 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Yes, they did meet. They've founded a joint venture, called the "Fernseh AG" (Together with some other companies.) His first commercial TV-set, the "Telehor" with 30 lines was indeed technically very similar to the Baird Televisor. I've bought a book in Belgium (in Dutch) whitch describes the Telehor very precise. The similarities are quite obvious.

When I'll find a little bit of time, I will scan some pictures and put the information together for evene, who wants to make a replica or at least a "look-alike".

Yes looks like a dead copy from 1929 the one he was selling apart from a different monitor case look.
Do you know if he ever sold a television using any of hes mirror scanning ideas ?
As with Gary a scan of any of that book would be great !
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:38 am

I've never heard about a commercial set using the Mihaly mirror sets. The first commercial set used a Nipkow-disc. (The "Prof. Karolus set" from Telefunken using the mirror drum was never on the market.) After the first sold sets (interestingly most of them to Belgium and the Netherlands) the Telehor company fusioned with TeKaDe, where after further Nipkow-disc sets the famous mirror-screw sets were made. Parallel the development of the CRT made great progress, so that mechanical television became obsolete quite fast.
DrZarkov

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:41 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I've never heard about a commercial set using the Mihaly mirror sets. The first commercial set used a Nipkow-disc. (The "Prof. Karolus set" from Telefunken using the mirror drum was never on the market.) After the first sold sets (interestingly most of them to Belgium and the Netherlands) the Telehor company fusioned with TeKaDe, where after further Nipkow-disc sets the famous mirror-screw sets were made. Parallel the development of the CRT made great progress, so that mechanical television became obsolete quite fast.

He worked a fair bit on vibrating mirrors rotating mirrors same go's with Baird it must of been so disappointing to know all that work was obsolete so soon .

Dam those electrons to many ways to use them!

i found here another issue of RN this one talks about hes system and Bairds i don't think the Bloke who wrote this liked Baird ,i like but knowing what they had and what they were up to at the time by some one who was there and talked to them not just like some one like us lot looking back .
Attachments
Radio-News-1929-Nov.pdf
Page 416
(11.47 MiB) Downloaded 618 times
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:16 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:He worked a fair bit on vibrating mirrors rotating mirrors same go's with Baird it must of been so disappointing to know all that work was obsolete so soon .

They just had to hang around a while - now the CRT is obsolete and vibrating mirrors (via DLP) are all the rage (TV projectors, pico chip sets in mobile phones, digital cinema).

I bet there are more of those than CRTs being produced today.

Plenty of other examples of mechanical TV these days too! Imagine how good they would be if those pesky CRTs hadn't got in the way ;-)
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:05 pm

Yes Gary perhaps it would of been better for us interest wise.. if Baird or the others got it working a bit earlier in the 20's .
I was thinking the same thing just say 10 years more and just to see what would of come about at the end .....i suppose it does come down to money whats cheapest to make for what ever system number of lines they might of went with ...
I would think vibrating mirrors but who knows Yes as you say that system in the smaller version out lasted every thing else so far ....these days away.
Harry Dalek

Return to Resources