Henry Sutton

Links to relevant web sites, copies of patent documents and newspaper and magazine articles. Feel free to post relevant items here. This forum is moderated and non-relevant postings will be deleted.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Henry Sutton

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Henry and his inventions no television :oops:
Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918) Sat 14 May 1910 Page 36 AN INVENTOR (MR. HENRY SUTTON) AND HIS INVENTION.
1. A— An Arc Lamp and Blast Magnet. A. II A Variable Condenser and Inductciice Box. 0— Inductance Coil. D-Transmitting Microphone. U— Receiving Wireless Telephone. 2. A— Universal Iteco iver. B-Extra Sensitive Receiver C-lortuhlo
Transmitter. :! Mr. ilenrv Sutton listening With Portable Wireless Detector. 1. High Power Transmitter Producing Fundamental Tuned Waves. A- Ten-inch Spark Coil. Ii— Tuning Appurn tus. 5. .100 Metre Wave Military .set. A— Coil.
11— Key. C— Trensmittor. T>— Keccivcr. K— Field Rendu r. 0. Wireless Research Instruments. A— Professor Iluhmer's Oscillograph. B-- Professor Fleming's F.R.S. Cymomoter. C— Professors lta msay and Dmvar s Hare Cas Neon lube. D—
Thermo Galvomonicter. F— Marconi Milliameter. 1'"— Marconi Spocial Rheostat
Attachments
Screen 00026.jpg
Screen 00026.jpg (290.12 KiB) Viewed 6831 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Henry Sutton

Postby gary » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:43 pm

Well he never produced a working version (for obvious reasons), but he did have a (not entirely original) design and he DID contribute to the technology.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:39 pm

gary wrote:Well he never produced a working version (for obvious reasons), but he did have a (not entirely original) design and he DID contribute to the technology.

Hi Gary
Yes been covered a few times here he does interest me just because he had an interest in television working or not and he has sort of turned into an Australian inventor legend ,I do wonder if a prototype was ever made different reports on this below on it being demonstrated but you would think it would be in the news papers of the time which i have not tracked down as of yet ...also the report it was in Scientific American magazine again i have yet to find it .

He claimed in the late 1880s to have designed, but not constructed, an apparatus that would transmit to Ballarat the running of the Melbourne Cup seems more than likely since there are plans but no other evidence /Then you get other reports where they go into detail of the event Again i would like to see a news paper report at least .....Telephane......Telefane.....

1885: Henry's invention of the Telephane was the forerunner to television 3 years before John Logie Baird was born. Around 1871 at the age of fifteen Henry invented a method so that any big event in Melbourne could be seen in Ballarat by medium of the telegraph. Henry was so sure of this that he wrote the particulars to Mr R.L.J. Ellery, Government Astronomer of Victoria, so the invention could be in the hands of someone capable of stating his claim of being the first in this direction. Some years later, in 1885, Mr R.L.J. Ellery was witness to the transmission of the images of the Telephane. In 1885 Henry transmitted the Melbourne Cup race to Ballarat through the Telephane. It was stated that it worked quite well. Henry a few years later in 1890 went to England and France and demonstrated the Telephane to the scientific community. Henry's paper on the Telephane was published in England, France and America and Scientific America republished his paper again in 1910. Henry did not patent the Telephane but Baird did use Henry's principles to invent television some 43 years later. The Telephane is considered to be Henry's magnum opus by some people.
In 1890, Sutton went to England and demonstrated the telephane to the scientific community. In 1892, after a meeting with Nikola Tesla, Sutton started working on a theory that would allow him to send images wirelessly. Sutton's paper on the telephane was published widely, and Scientific American republished it in 1910. Sutton did not patent the telephane, but John Logie Baird used Sutton's principles to invent television almost 40 years later.
Attachments
Screen 00025.jpg
Screen 00025.jpg (25.8 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:06 pm

Yes, but Sutton's version was based on Nipkow's, and whilst he understood the principles of television he did not have access to the technology that made television possible - electronic amplification. Even if he (or Nipkow for that matter) had have had access to that technology, they would still have had to overcome all of the technical hurdles that Baird eventually overcame.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:53 am

gary wrote:Yes, but Sutton's version was based on Nipkow's, and whilst he understood the principles of television he did not have access to the technology that made television possible - electronic amplification. Even if he (or Nipkow for that matter) had have had access to that technology, they would still have had to overcome all of the technical hurdles that Baird eventually overcame.

I could only think if the device was made to try he could see that scanning light of hes raster ...modulating it another matter .....

Now i know that an image can be transmitted just with electric devices of the time not television but facsimile been done ...an idea came to mind could the telephane have worked as a still image device ,i just wonder on the conflicting reports of it working well to no he never constructed it ....say out of interest one was made and he could vary hes light source ,could it display in light instead of on paper like other devices a persistence of vision version does not take much speed time for this effect to happen perhaps to slow for movement but for a still image ? speculation yes but i do wonder if there was some truth to the reports or were they all just lies .

I am interested to see one lecture account that has been reported....i am very curious on if a device was constructed or not he seemed to make every thing else that came to he's mind :idea:

Hes was a very clever man just missed out on inventing the electric light as well....he's inventions below link

https://federation.edu.au/about-us/our- ... nry-sutton

It was mentioned in the link he should be in the Journal La Lumiere Electrique and in 1890.....looking at the 1890 issues here ,,,trying to find the issue
http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/redirt.cgi?P84
http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/redira.cgi?P84
you can read the pages i found out
http://cnum.cnam.fr/CGI/redirv.cgi?P84.36

Still looking also found....
1890: Henry submits a paper that details the workings of his ‘Telephane’. It is published in both The Telegraphic Journal and Electrical Review, 7th November 1890 and La Lumiere Electrique. Paris, 13 December 1890.
Harry Dalek

Return to Resources