Dictators, Propaganda and NBTV

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Dictators, Propaganda and NBTV

Postby holtzman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:30 am

The 1930-ties epoch was the time when totalitarian dictators roze to power. The support of peoples' masses was the saddest fact. I assume, personalities of Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, etc. were not so important, they were just "iceberg peaks" of the processes that ruled the masses. But to achieve mass-support, they used propaganda techniques of the epoch.
I noticed some interesting fact: dictators look different on NBTV. When you watch them in historical chronicles, their manner to speak looks exaggerated, even funny and psychotic. But in NBTV quality, their manner appears more adequate and you understand why did they use exaggerated gestures.
Another phenomenon: NBTV can be frightening! It feels much more "live", opposed to the chronicles on regular TV. So when you watch some Nazi or Fascist speech, it feels like you are back in the 1930-ies...
Sorry for VERY LOW quality movies - neither camera seems to be able to shoot my Nipkow in focus and about of 50% detail seem to dissapear for this reason.
Attachments
P1020121_001.avi
(3.2 MiB) Downloaded 639 times
P1020120_001.avi
(4.97 MiB) Downloaded 576 times
holtzman
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:29 pm

It's an interesting fact, that Hitler did not want to be seen on television. Not by the fact that a CRT imploded after Hitler left a public TV room, but he was afraid, that with bad reception or faulty TV-sets his face could look funny. There is an interesting documentary "television under the swastika" (Fernsehen unter dem Hakenkreuz) made by Spiegel TV (available in English and German).
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby holtzman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Hitler DID look funny, in footages with good resolution! It depends a lot on the context, though. Mass conscious works different from individual conscious. What one can find funny and insane watching it at home, the arosed masses can see as marvellous and sacred.
TV applies more to individuals or small groups, thus it was not good for him.
holtzman

Postby Lowtone » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:10 am

DrZarkov wrote:There is an interesting documentary "television under the swastika" (Fernsehen unter dem Hakenkreuz) made by Spiegel TV (available in English and German).

Yes very interesting, they had movie films into cameras, so the pictures were recorded before they were shown on television.

I've seen a documentary about Chaplin's movie "the great dictator" and someone said he saw Hitler in a movie news, but at this time cinema was silent. And he said his gesture was funny and ridiculous ( that is true when you switch off the sound ) :arrow:
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Return to Images and Sound