Baird's Phonovision Discs

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Baird's Phonovision Discs

Postby Lowtone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:11 am

hello

on this page
http://www.tvdawn.com/Francais/tvdiscs_fr.htm
There are .rm files from the records of Phonovision. I wanted to read them but it seems softwares don't do that.
The format is 30 line, but at only 4 fps.

Do someone know how to do to play thoses files?

thanks
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby gary » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 am

When you say *play*, do you mean in an audio sense? If so I can play them with the following players:

real player
gom
windows media player
media player classic

VLC *should* play them also but on my system it gets confused (as it often does) but it may work on your system.

If you mean in a visual sense then that's another thing entirely.
gary

Postby Lowtone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I could hear the sound, but the picture is :o not really watchable
Lowtone

Postby gary » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Lowtone wrote:I could hear the sound, but the picture is :o not really watchable

exactly, the items are for listening to not watching, however they can be watched but as they only represent the first few seconds of each item there is not much to see. As far as I am aware the entire material is not available.

Here is an example when item rwt115-3.rm is displayed (no sync):
Attachments
output.avi
(1.43 MiB) Downloaded 780 times
gary

Postby Lowtone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:32 pm

:o Aside of the lack of synch the result is better than that I get first. How do you make it watchable ?
Lowtone

Postby gary » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Lowtone wrote::o Aside of the lack of synch the result is better than that I get first. How do you make it watchable ?

I use a tool I wrote for analysing NBTV signals from old tapes etc. It is called NBTVAnalyser.
gary

Postby Lowtone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Ok. It's too bad the full videos are not aviable, it could interests us :idea:
Lowtone

Postby gary » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:41 pm

My apologies, the material IS actually available on the "The Dawn of Television Remembered" DVD as the soundtrack to the restored videos.

edit: (unfortunately as mpeg 1)
gary

Postby Lawnboy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm

i bought a copy of "The Dawn of Television Remembered" and the videos are of a much higher quality than what is shown here. in comparing the audio to the mpeg1 version you can hear the compression artifacts present in the web version.
Lawnboy

Postby gary » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:08 am

Not sure I quite follow you there LawnBoy, but just to clarify my comments, yes the web site audio is adversely effected due to compression, in that case the compression is the realaudio proprietry format. But the audio on the CD (The Dawn...) is also effected by compression - in this case mp2 (or more correctly mpeg 1 - Layer II), but at least this audio is complete, whereas, for instance, the Stooky Bill audio on the web site doesn't even get to the part where Stooky Bill appears (it is this last point I was referring to when I wrote "entire material").

In reference to the CD video, it should be noted that even if the audio was not compressed you wouldn't achieve the quality of these videos without the same amount of post processing that Don applied (phase shift correction etc).
Last edited by gary on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
gary

Postby Lawnboy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:55 pm

ok, i will rephrase that. when you compare the audio from web version with the audio from the file that came on the cd, you can hear that the web version is of a poorer quality.
i took a look at the RWT115-3 video file that came on the cd, and the audio stream is a 16 bit mpg2, 44.1khz, mono at 96kbps. seems kind of an unusual bitrate for mpg2 audio. i extracted some of the audio and here is a 5 second snippit (i hope its ok to post it, otherwise i will remove it). this is the "miss Poundsford" disc and from what i remember from the book it had quite a few timing issues that had to be corrected.
Attachments
rwt115-3_5sec.wav
(459.86 KiB) Downloaded 853 times
Lawnboy

Postby gary » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 am

Yes, I have the CD too (I incorrectly wrote DVD above) and yes, the audio is mpeg 1 - layer II not layer I (as I inadvertently wrote above).
gary

Return to Images and Sound