DANS OLD NBTV STEAM TRAIN VID (syncless.)

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

DANS OLD NBTV STEAM TRAIN VID (syncless.)

Postby daniel gosson » Tue May 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Heres a bit of an experiment which may be popular. This is an old NBTV video that I made some years ago of a very big steam railway near my place. The vid was made on an old system that produced black bars between the frames, but no true sync pulses. This vid will play beutifully on a mechanical moniter with manual speed control such as mine. Trying to watch this on a computer with THE BIG PICTURE will be very frustrating. I have also compressed it to 320kbs MP3 which I know contravenes the purity aspect of NBTV, but is in my opinion an exeptable compromise. I would be very interested to here any feedback from persons able to view this vid (there must be at least a few of us able to watch syncless NBTV video on a homemade set).
Please enjoy.
Daniel Gosson.
Attachments
DANS TRAIN VID PART 2 syncless.zip
(18 MiB) Downloaded 604 times
daniel gosson
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby A_Kotlowy » Wed May 30, 2007 6:05 am

Interestingly enough, the black bar at the bottom of the frame was enough for my synchronisation circuit and oscilloscope driver to get the occasional still image out of the MP3. The 'Beware of Trains' sign and a shot of a wheel were the clearest.

I attempted to add a synchronisation track to it in Audacity, but even being the slightest bit out causes the image to roll. It's fixable if I were to pencil in each frame manually, but I'm not going to do that. :shock:

Cheers,

Alexis.
A_Kotlowy

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed May 30, 2007 7:26 am

I did similar things in the recording of Eddy Greenhoughs Nipkow monitor. He had no sync at all, because he ran a 1½ spiral camera-monitor, where synchronisation is not a problem. But because the object was slowly moving I could insert sync in an almost automated way, although it costed me lots of time before the sotfware did this in the way I wanted.

May be this works too on this file...... if I can find back the source files.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: DANS OLD NBTV STEAM TRAIN VID (syncless.)

Postby gary » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:06 pm

daniel gosson wrote:Trying to watch this on a computer with THE BIG PICTURE will be very frustrating.

The OmniNBTV utility plays this video (after conversion to .wav PCM) very well, although there is a short preamble to the start of the first whole frame which is well worth removing if you can do so.

I think that this video is a great example of how much detail you can actually get into a 32 line picture, especially if the camera man is familiar with the format as Daniel demonstrates beautifully here.

(The version of The Big Picture! that allows sync processing to be turned off also plays this video).
gary

Return to Images and Sound