DANS MECHANICAL SCREENSHOT VIDEO WMV

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

DANS MECHANICAL SCREENSHOT VIDEO WMV

Postby daniel gosson » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:59 am

I thought it was time to put this one back into circulation. This is a video clip taken directly off my disk monitor & is the clearest motion picture I have ever seen taken off a mechanical monitor.
The secret to this is to stop the ccd in the camera from discharging after each frame, thus the motion becomes very smooth.
Please enjoy.
Attachments
SCREENSHOT VID 2.wmv
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 772 times
daniel gosson
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Video formats

Postby kd6cji » Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi Dan,
Is it possible to avoid using WMV format for video files? MPEG-4 is industry standard, smaller in size and better quality. Besides it is cross platform not just Windows only. Believe it or not but some people don't use Windozejavascript:emoticon(':wink:')

Cheers,

Sergei KD6CJI
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:33 pm

Hello Sergei, as I'm using MacOS X, too: There is a good WMV plugin for Quicktime, which makes it possible to watch about 99 % of al wmv-files. You find it on the evil website of www.microsoft.com.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

EasyWMV

Postby kd6cji » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:56 pm

There is a program EasyWMV also that can convert WMV into MPEG-4 including H264 encoding. Unfortunately it is not free, but demo version will convert up to 1 minute of video. Which I did yesterday and the video that Daniel posted is great.

Best regards,

Sergei KD6CJI
kd6cji
Research Scientist

Postby MadRat » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:15 am

Wow, that's amazing Daniel. How did you do it? What camera did you use? How much modification to the camera did it require? Would it be possible for we viewers to try this at home?
MadRat

Postby daniel gosson » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:47 am

Sorry for the long delay, I have been away from this forum for about a year. Some video cameras will drop the framerate right down if the light level is low. Mine does this while turning on a video light. I tape something over the light so it doesnt shine on the disk. I have put heaps of NBTV stuff on YOU TUBE, just type in 32 LINE & you have it all. actually its surprizing how many people are into this.
daniel gosson

Postby dominicbeesley » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Daniel,

How did you go about controlling the CCD parameters? I've been thinking about writing some NBTV specific video capture software but if there's a way of doing it already I'd like that!

Dom
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

HI DOM

Postby daniel gosson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:26 pm

Most recent video cameras can be made to do this if you search through the menu. It may be called nightshot or something else like that. All it does is stop the imager from refreshing with each frame, however it still outputs 25 or 30 as usual. I then increase the brightness & contrast with virtual dub because it is so faint. Because the imager only refreshes maybe 10 times a second the camera can blur the NBTV image together & stop flicker.
daniel gosson

Postby daniel gosson » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:34 pm

If you check my stuff on youtube (type in 32 line) you will see a full sise screenshot of THE BIG PICTURE running NBTV video. Because my computer has a VGA to PAL scan converter I can record NBTV from my computer onto the video in of my digital video camera.
daniel gosson

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 pm

Nice material, Daniel.

As you say plenty of 32 line activity on YouTube.

Definitely a lot of interest world wide, it's a good platform for promoting the NBTV cause.

Regards,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Return to Images and Sound