Vintage 1930 music clip, improved definition/greyscale

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Vintage 1930 music clip, improved definition/greyscale

Postby chris_vk3aml » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:41 am

Here's another 32-line clip, as I'm slowly refining the technique of matching gamma, aperture correction and sync - and I think this is about the best of any I've done so far.

Zelma O'Neill - the lady who introduced "The Varsity Drag" to Broadway in 1928 - sings "I Wanna Be Bad" in 1930 with backing by the famous George Olsen's Orchestra. The dance she's doing towards the end of this - a sort of high stomp, pushing her legs down forcibly at each step IS in fact the Varsity Drag's dance move.

For reproduction via Gary Millard's "BigPicture" software program this is very slightly overcorrected for aperture distortion, but it's undercorrected for reproduction via scanning disc. That could do with a little more boost around 10 KHz. I have also tried to lower the gamma to the point where this will reproduce fairly well with CRT or disc scanner.

I think this is better than any video clip I've done so far and would be interested to hear if others react to it similarly.

Things are looking up!

All the best,

Chris Long VK3AML (this clip is what I meant when I suggested that we could do with a bit more skirt and a bit less technology!)
Attachments
Zelma_ONeill.wav
(19.38 MiB) Downloaded 723 times
chris_vk3aml

Postby chris_vk3aml » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:44 am

Also interesting - the the speed of upload to this site is a fairly consistent 1 MByte per minute - so this 20 MByte clip took 20 minutes. I have cable connection. so I'm surprised that it's as slow as it was on this upload. I believe that my download from the site is a lot faster.

Chris Long VK3AML.
chris_vk3aml

Return to Images and Sound