Spring is coming..

If you wish to share NBTV-format media files, suitable for playback on a mechanical TV, please use this forum section to post them. Large files are OK.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Spring is coming..

Postby Mike Willis » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:16 am

...and the snow will soon be gone. Time to get ready for the links!

This clip has become a favorite in my collection, and if I can discern the cloud coming over near the end I'm particularly thrilled!

Cheers,

Mike
Attachments
Ben_Hogan_Golf_Swing.wav
(12.37 MiB) Downloaded 774 times
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Re: Spring is coming..

Postby gary » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Spring? snow? - no idea what you are talking about ;-) Autumn, and hot sticky weather here - but a great clip, makes me want to dust off the old set (of clubs) - not sure my gammy knee is up to it yet though :-(

Just a question, how come the clip starts in the middle of a frame? That makes it hard to watch in colour on TBP (easily fixed however).

Regards,

Gary
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:50 pm

gary wrote:Spring? snow? - no idea what you are talking about ;-) Regards, Gary

...Headlines in one of the local English language newspapers here a few weeks ago..."Street-dwellers (ed..beggars) die of hypothermia as night-time temperatures dip to to a record low of 17C". Even at 22C I feel decidedly cool and I don't like it! Looking forward to the warm season which is almost upon us...low 40s...now that's more like it and an excuse for a cold beer!

99.9% of the locals have no idea about snow, including my wife, and that's the way I want to keep it. Only ever want to see snow on a postcard or in a movie...thank you.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Mike Willis » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 am

Steve Anderson wrote:...an excuse for a cold beer!

Steve A.

Now it's me that's at a loss....excuse?

-20 C here last night, and still 3' of white stuff in the yard. A lovely -3 today..nearly T-shirt weather!

About the clip...no idea why its 1/2 a frame out at the start. Never noticed :oops: Maybe we could fix it up an repost a good version?

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Postby gary » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:29 am

I should say that although it is hot and sticky here - I am not like Steve and don't like it one bit! I actually prefer the cooler climes - spent a winter in New York once - coldest I've ever been - blizzards - well below zero (especially with wind chill factor) - it was great! :-)

But Mike, I'm curious, how were you watching the picture? just in B&W? It looks great in colour! ;-)

PS: I also spent a summer in New York - the hottest I've ever been - strange place....
Attachments
Ben_Hogan_Golf_Swing2.wav
(12.37 MiB) Downloaded 661 times
gary

Postby Mike Willis » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:17 am

gary wrote:
But Mike, I'm curious, how were you watching the picture? just in B&W? It looks great in colour! ;-)

Well...now I really feel like a duffer.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I haven't watched any of the clips I've made with TBP in colour..as I didn't select "colour file" as the source. So it been B/W all the time and the clips played well. Now I see that all the clips I've made with video2NBTV on Linux with wine have the same fault; starting in the middle of the frame. Opening them up with a wav editor confirms this...I should start paying more attention!

I took another clip I made and edited it to start where I thought would be the right place, but it didn't quite work. I should cut just before the first missing sync pulse?

Ben does looks great in colour! Thanks,

Mike
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Postby gary » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:14 am

Well, of course, if you never intended to watch it in colour your approach is perfectly valid, in fact, it is only because the colour standard is 'digital' in nature (i.e. the colour is encoded in the PCM values and need to be extracted digitally) that the sync is not used and an assumption is made that the data starts on a frame boundary.

In truth the standard allows for this and my software should in fact allow for this at least by providing a mechanism to adjust the sample position so that line and frame alignment can be achieved, but since it was written with the assumption that the source material would only becoming from my other application Video2NBTV, it didn't seem necessary at the time.

Yes the new start position should be immediately before or after the missing sync pulse (depending whether the sync is placed below or on top of the picture, in this case it doesn't matter).

Be aware though that in the first few frames of that clip there is black level immediately before and after the syncs for some reason, this makes editing the material by eye difficult and I had to do it by calculating the correct sample position based on the start of any arbitrary sync pulse.

Cheers from one duffer to another ;-) (must work on that swing)
gary

Postby Mike Willis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:17 am

Phew, busy month!

I had a bit of a dig into why the clips I'm creating with video2NBTV under wine in linux have an incorrect start position...it seems they are all starting 1480 samples before the start of the first missing sync pulse. I trim this amount off the head, and they're good to go.

I wouldn't point the finger at the linux/wine bit out of hand...my T42 Thinkpad is getting a bit old too!

Cheers,

Mike
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Postby gary » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 am

What a strange phenomenon, can't imagine what is causing that, I'll have to fire up a Linux session and have a play, I would probably have to be able to build the application under Wine somehow so it may not be possible to fix but I will have a look.
gary

Postby Mike Willis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:55 am

It's an odd one! I tried dividing 1480 into 44100 in the hope I might get a clue..and got 29.797297...

I checked about 20 clips- all were the same. I have another linux box upstairs..I'll see if its giving the same result.
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Postby gary » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:00 pm

What flavour of Linux are you using Mike?
gary

Postby Mike Willis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:03 pm

Ubuntu version 8.04
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Great movie !

Postby bigscreen » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

Congrats to Mike Willis !
I have seen the wav.file on the nbtv monitor and it works splendid !
Even the explanation sounds very clear and understanding, it is a realy good shot !
Wow !

More please !..........more ! .......more.........more !
bigscreen
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Mike Willis » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:46 am

Cheers Patrick!

It's great to hear another feedback like that from a fellow NBTV'er. That clip has a lot of good things for televisor display..and a great lesson from a master that's helped me with my own wicked slice!

I'll try to dig around for some new ones,

Mike
Mike Willis
Laboratory Assistant

Return to Images and Sound