Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll

Re: Introducing freenbtv - new NBTV generation software

Postby settinger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks for the update! Terrific! Can you release the updated source as well? I'd love to help contribute...are you using any form of source control or ways to manage contributors?
settinger
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby smeezekitty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:03 pm

settinger wrote:Thanks for the update! Terrific! Can you release the updated source as well? I'd love to help contribute...are you using any form of source control or ways to manage contributors?

The source is in the archive. I'm ashamed to say that I don't have any version control. Bad, I know.
smeezekitty
Mad Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi i have been experimenting with the software i was meaning to ask does it add the framing sync to the video ? This would come in handy .
Also i have been trying to increase the scanning area of an image it sticks to the nbtv aspect ratio screen ..is that set ? i can move it around the areas of the image .
Is it possible to bring up the image before you hit the start making a wav file ?

Its working very well i still have to play with it more but its pretty good , a mult standard version monitor software would be very handy too one day ..but this is great to test in standard and out of standard line and frame rate systems for monitors...Lucky we have people like you and Gary and Dom that have made software its very helpful for this hobby .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby smeezekitty » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Hi i have been experimenting with the software i was meaning to ask does it add the framing sync to the video ?

There are quite a few sync options you can configure on the "channel setup" dialog. By default (in the NBTVA preset), it adds 175uS pulses at the beginning of each line and there is a missing pulse at the end of each frame.
Also i have been trying to increase the scanning area of an image it sticks to the nbtv aspect ratio screen ..is that set ? i can move it around the areas of the image .

You can't yet adjust the size of the frame with your mouse but you can adjust it by changing the "width" and "height" on the input dialog. If you uncheck the "lock aspect" checkboxes, you can set it to any aspect ratio you would like. It's supposed to be also possible that you can lock it to any custom aspect ratio but it seems to be broken. It's the first time I noticed that bug so I'll add it to the list. I should really set up github and use a public bug tracker!
Is it possible to bring up the image before you hit the start making a wav file ?

Unfortunately there is no preview option. But what you can do is set it to output to the sound card, start it and set up your position and size, stop it and then set it to create the WAV file. It will keep the position and size unless you change input file.

Its working very well i still have to play with it more but its pretty good , a mult standard version monitor software would be very handy too one day ..but this is great to test in standard and out of standard line and frame rate systems for monitors...Lucky we have people like you and Gary and Dom that have made software its very helpful for this hobby .

One of these days hopefully it will happen. I'm a college student now so I have rather limited time to work on hobby projects at the moment. It's certainly planned though.
It's amazing how much software there is targeting such a niche hobby!
smeezekitty
Mad Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:33 pm

Thanks for the reply ,i have been playing around some more seeing it i can add remove adjust the sync i saw there's another window to adjust these levels ,and reviewing on a scope .
Very good work i enjoy using the program there's lots still to learn for me .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Off Topic