Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll

Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:36 pm

I have seen some of the images before but first time seeing them decoded in real time ,its a bit like Slow scan seems to be 10 sec's an image but correct answer on the timing and how he decoded a copy of the video disk is a link below .
I had forgotten about the voyager record its very interesting .
https://boingboing.net/2017/09/05/how-t ... on-th.html

youtu.be/ibByF9XPAPg
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 3840
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Very interesting Harry. It's the first time I've ever seen the content that was put on the record.

But I wonder why it was recorded as an analogue baseband signal which suffers the same LF problems as NBTV. Why not a modified SSTV signal, say an FM sub-carrier of between 12-16kHz? That would cover the higher line/pixel count and the 'creatures' that found it would quite easily see the regularity in the line and frame frequencies.

A decent mastering machine can create recordings covering 16kHz or more, and the disc doesn't have to spin at our usual 33/45/etc. RPM. They only needed two copies so they may as well send the masters into space. The archive would be (is) on tape.

When this chap says 'That's it" and calls it a day, I wonder if he will get the specification and compare it with the results of his detective work. That's if anyone still has a copy of the spec. It was some 40 years ago.

Steve A.
User avatar
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Re: Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:40 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Very interesting Harry. It's the first time I've ever seen the content that was put on the record.

But I wonder why it was recorded as an analogue baseband signal which suffers the same LF problems as NBTV. Why not a modified SSTV signal, say an FM sub-carrier of between 12-16kHz? That would cover the higher line/pixel count and the 'creatures' that found it would quite easily see the regularity in the line and frame frequencies.

A decent mastering machine can create recordings covering 16kHz or more, and the disc doesn't have to spin at our usual 33/45/etc. RPM. They only needed two copies so they may as well send the masters into space. The archive would be (is) on tape.

When this chap says 'That's it" and calls it a day, I wonder if he will get the specification and compare it with the results of his detective work. That's if anyone still has a copy of the spec. It was some 40 years ago.

Steve A.


They have put the pictures up for every one to view but seeing how it would have to be displayed is yes very interesting i was wondering what system was used as that was never explained at the time .
I would think back in the mid 70's the display device would have been something like a analog slow Phosphor CRT ,then again SSTV did have scan converters even for hams then so NASA might have gone that way ,I am not sure either why they went AM it does look more closer to a NBTV than FM SSTV .
I suppose what ever finds it will have no problems it is etched on the record how to play it and they kindly supplied a needle :wink:
BTW you can buy NASA Voyager Golden Record 40th Anniversary Edition Box Set Of 3 Vinyl LP .
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NASA-Voyage ... SwU91acY-~
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 3840
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:56 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:BTW you can buy NASA Voyager Golden Record 40th Anniversary Edition Box Set Of 3 Vinyl LP .

I wonder how many people could play the vinyl version? It's available on CD too, even a lot of PCs don't have CD/DVD drives these days. How many orders will they get for either? I doubt it's going to be a huge number. I don't expect it to make the Billboard Top 100. But kudos to those that made the effort.

Steve A.
User avatar
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Bangkok, Thailand

Re: Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:38 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I wonder how many people could play the vinyl version? It's available on CD too, even a lot of PCs don't have CD/DVD drives these days. How many orders will they get for either? I doubt it's going to be a huge number. I don't expect it to make the Billboard Top 100. But kudos to those that made the effort.

Steve A.


I am sure Steve it has a limited market even so its rather neat thing ,the video data for those interested is here .
https://soundcloud.com/user-482195982/v ... ded-images
Could come in handy if you think you can match the Aliens who will have to work out what a image record is,played at the right speed off a tape got it made here .
Here's how they made it interesting .
https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-rec ... gallery-28
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.09 KiB) Viewed 850 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
User avatar
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 3840
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby gary » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:57 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I wonder how many people could play the vinyl version?Steve A.


Steve, why must you go out of your way to make me feel like an anachronism? And on a forum such as this too - you should be ashamed of yourself! LOL.
Perfecting an NBTV system is like trying to slam a revolving door...
User avatar
gary
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 2288
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:29 am
Location: Bundanoon, Australia

Re: Voyager Audio Images, in Real Time

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:05 pm

Haha...I do still have a DVD player, though it hasn't been used in some five years, also a VHS which I don't think I have any tapes for. Also a Technics turntable that with a bit of TLC should still work, though it doesn't run at 78. One thing I don't have (I think) is any form of cassette machine but I do have two open-reel tape machines awaiting repair...and they use tubes/valves. Both about early 1960s era...and made in the UK!

As an aside, I've got rid of one huge work project as of yesterday evening...I'm going to do absolutely nothing for a few days...zero, zip, nada...well, I may have a few beers...

Steve A.
User avatar
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"
 
Posts: 3746
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:54 pm
Location: Bangkok, Thailand


Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest