More Tubes/Valves...

Anything not specifically related to NBTV, but at least of some technical nature that might be of interest to NBTV members. Items for sale and links to retailers do not belong here.

Moderators: Dave Moll, Steve Anderson

More Tubes/Valves...

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:20 pm

Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Interesting

Postby acl » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:22 pm

acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Re: More Tubes/Valves...

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:46 am

Another novel 1" CRT design. It seems the goal was to miniaturise the unit which makes me wonder why tubes/valves were used. It doesn't really matter as the goal was achieved! There is also today the novelty factor.

Now I've seen the original 1960 Popular Electronics article, it only uses two (or three) tubes/valves in addition to the 1CP1 CRT, so even 'transistorizing' it would make little difference.

Steve A.

A conceptually similar device was made by Cossor in the UK, the 1039M, though somewhat more complex and a larger screen...

Cossor 1039M ad.jpg
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:39 pm

...another similar version made by GEC...I love the "Dog-Bone" knobs...

GEC Miniscope advert.jpg
GEC Miniscope advert.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

GEC Miniscope front.jpg
GEC Miniscope front.jpg (19.5 KiB) Viewed 3305 times

DogBone 1.jpg
DogBone 1.jpg (5.04 KiB) Viewed 3304 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Dave Moll » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:09 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:It seems the goal was to miniaturise the unit which makes me wonder why tubes/valves were used.

Surely, in 1954 it would have been surprising (and probably expensive) to use those unproven solid-state alternatives.
Dave Moll

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:47 pm

Dave Moll wrote:Surely, in 1954 it would have been surprising (and probably expensive) to use those unproven solid-state alternatives.

Yes, agreed, the date hadn't quite registered in my empty skull...at that sort of time an 0C71 was the same as a blue-collar's weekly wage...

How many here know what an 0C71 is? Or can even remember? I can. In a word, awful...stick with your BC107....even they raise a wry smile from me...

Steve A.

ADJECTIVE [usually ADJECTIVE noun]
If someone has a wry expression, it shows that they find a bad situation or a change in a situation slightly amusing. [...], also consider "Incongruous"...in todays semiconductor perspective...

Anyway, the thing did what was expected, and that's good enough for me....
Steve Anderson

Postby acl » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:50 pm

Steve,

I can remember the OC71. Doug Pitt had a story whereby if you put an OC71 in the spin drier to force the innards to the legs of the device you got yourself an OCP71 phototransistor. Can't verify this myself. In the radio club he used to buy a batch of suspect top hat transistors and because these were of unknown condition we had to test them all individually so we could make our radios, Perhaps Stan could confirm this.

Regards Chris Lewis
acl

Postby Klaas Robers » Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:08 am

I used the OC71 quite frequently in the beginning of the sixties. And indeed, if you remove the black paint from the glass enclosure, you get a photo transistor. In the end of the 50's I used as well the OC13. It was an OC71 with a too low amplification factor. They were also cheaper. This was how our company Philips sold his scrap of germanium transistors. I still should have several of these transistors.

During my time at Delft University the silicium transistors came in use. That was from 1962 to 1969. Then I never used those Germanium transistors any more. That is also the reason that I have still quite some of them. In the beginning they all came from the USA, Motorola and so on.

And then at the end of the sixties Philips came with the BC107 family. It took them quite some time to master that process. Then came also the change from a negative supply voltage (PNP-transistors) to positive supply for NPN-transistors. I never understood why it is easier to make PNP-transistors in the Germanium process and NPN-transistors in the silicium process. Yes, there were NPN-transistors in Germanium, but just a few, and they were more expensive than their PNP-brothers.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:11 am

It would be quite a challenge to build something using all Germanium transistors these days. You would soon realise their limitations! No, I'm not volunteering! Tubes/valves any day!

Steve A.

I recall using AC126s and AF117s (both Germanium, and both PNP) as part of an electronics 'laboratory' for youngsters, made by Philips in the 60s....

s-l1600.jpg
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:11 pm

This opens my heart!

As Philips we did quite some remarkable things in the past to encourage youngsters to step into the world of electronics. At that time I made that step already. Especially the booklets that came along with them were top!

It is good to remind that it were ham-radio amateurs that initiated and carried this devellopments. I have known quite some of them.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:20 pm

I had one of these Philips 'Electronic Engineer' kits (I suppose you'd call them) in the 60s. It switched my interest from chemistry to electronics.

Here's how an AM MW/LW radio was assembled...

Note that the supply line at the top is negative as a result of using Germanium PNP transistors...the two electrolytic caps in the centre point to this...

Steve A.

Philips EE-20 Electronic Engineer Construction Box-04 - Reflex Radio Receiver.jpg
Philips EE-20 Electronic Engineer Construction Box-04 - Reflex Radio Receiver.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 3213 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Dave Moll » Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:45 pm

I too had one of these kits. From the pictures and descriptions, I'm pretty sure it was the EE8.

Unfortunately, like so many other things from my childhood, it is long gone, and although I've acquired a small selection of electronic kits in recent years, none of these Philips ones with their characteristic "spring and hairclip" component fixing posts.
Dave Moll

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:54 pm

We had Tandy electronics for a while in the 70s and when i was 15 i got hooked on these Kits pretty much twisting the wires together, I like the short wave radio most out of the kits .
Attachments
Screen 00037.bmp
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:50 pm

“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:03 pm

Good find Albert! Good to see you 'looking in' occasionally...how's the astronomy thing? BTW, need an accurate GPS driven Sidereal clock? You can buy them, at a price, so I built mine...there are other versions on the 'net too...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Next

Return to Off Topic